Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Bolts need to draft TWO tackles! Check these sack stats!

From a pure pass protection standpoint, I would say that the Bolts need to overhaul much of their line. At a minimum, two tackles would be a start. A backup guard would be helpful. Tyronne Green is having a good year, allowing no sacks in 10 games. Vasquez and Hardwick have only allowed 2 and 2.5, but we could use depth at guard. Hopefully Troutman develops, but it would be wise to draft a guard in mid to later rounds. The main problem is, by far at tackle. Clary is clearly not able to get the job done. Gaither is very effective when healthy, but when not entirely healthy, not so good. Here are sacks allowed by Bolt line through 11 games:

T - Clary - 8.5 sacks allowed in 11 games
T - Harris - 6 sacks in 11 games
T - Gaither - 4 sacks in 4 games
C - Hardwick - 2.5 sacks in 11 games
G - Vasquez - 2 sacks in 11 games
G - Green - 0 sacks in 10 games
G - Hughes - 2.5 sacks in 3 games
C/G - Hadnot - 1 sack in 11 games
C Molk - 0 sacks in 11 games (sparing play)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/team/chargers/roster/

(click on player, and stats show up)

Last edited by topcat4477; 12-01-2012 at 09:02 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 02:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
From a pure pass protection standpoint, I would say that the Bolts need to overhaul most of their line. At a minimum, two tackles would be a start. A guard-center would be better. Tyronne Green is having a good year, allowing no sacks in 10 games. Vasquez and Hardwick have only allowed 2 and 2.5. The main problem is, by far at tackle. Gaither is good when healthy, but when not entirely healthy, not so good. At the least, we need a better backup plan. Here are sacks allowed by Bolt line through 11 games:

To be fair, Gaither shouldn't have even been on the sidelines by the time 2 of his sacks happened. He pulled up one one, and gave up another within 2 plays of when the injury happened. And if Green has 0 sacks, there definitely biased to put extra on Gaither/Harris/Hardwick, cuz i've seen him given at least 1 or 2 sacks this year.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
From a pure pass protection standpoint, I would say that the Bolts need to overhaul most of their line. At a minimum, two tackles would be a start. A guard-center would be better. Tyronne Green is having a good year, allowing no sacks in 10 games. Vasquez and Hardwick have only allowed 2 and 2.5. The main problem is, by far at tackle. Gaither is good when healthy, but when not entirely healthy, not so good. At the least, we need a better backup plan. Here are sacks allowed by Bolt line through 11 games:

I think we need one starting OT and one strong backup OT. When he's been healthy this season, Gaither has been every bit as good as he was for us last season. And we have him here on a cheap deal for a left tackle. But we absolutely have to have a better answer than Mike Harris if he can't play. And we should replace Clary, because his base salary doubles next season as his play erodes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I think we need one starting OT and one strong backup OT. When he's been healthy this season, Gaither has been every bit as good as he was for us last season. And we have him here on a cheap deal for a left tackle. But we absolutely have to have a better answer than Mike Harris if he can't play. And we should replace Clary, because his base salary doubles next season as his play erodes.
The problem is that Gaither is never healthy. He is fantastic when he is healthy but we havent seen that this year. I was one of the one excited about Gaither but now I think he just needs to be a back up only because we cant cut him because of his contract. Of course we need to replace Clary he has never been good. He has always had penalties, given up sacks/pressures
Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
The problem is that Gaither is never healthy. He is fantastic when he is healthy but we havent seen that this year. I was one of the one excited about Gaither but now I think he just needs to be a back up only because we cant cut him because of his contract. Of course we need to replace Clary he has never been good. He has always had penalties, given up sacks/pressures
Right, which is why my idea is to draft an OT in round 1 who can replace Clary and sub for Gaither when he's out. Then we go get a veteran OT to be a more reliable backup than Harris. So we would start the year with Gaither and, say, Joeckel, and then if/when Gaither gets hurt we would have Joeckel replace him and a veteran to replace Joeckel. I see too many issues on this team than to spend two high picks on tackle. Plus, most OL taken outside of round one have very bumpy rookie seasons. If we try to start a 2nd or 3rd rounder at RT, we may end up crying for Clary to come back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran

When I've rewatched the last few games, one thing that really stands out is Hardwick's play. It's not good. He may not have the "stats" that the OT's have in giving up sacks, but he is not giving Rivers any space to step up and avoid edge pressure.

The OT's are playing poorly, but I'd argue Hardwick is still this OL's weakest link.

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Right, which is why my idea is to draft an OT in round 1 who can replace Clary and sub for Gaither when he's out. Then we go get a veteran OT to be a more reliable backup than Harris. So we would start the year with Gaither and, say, Joeckel, and then if/when Gaither gets hurt we would have Joeckel replace him and a veteran to replace Joeckel. I see too many issues on this team than to spend two high picks on tackle. Plus, most OL taken outside of round one have very bumpy rookie seasons. If we try to start a 2nd or 3rd rounder at RT, we may end up crying for Clary to come back.
I would say we need a blue-chip left tackle in round 1 to compete with Gaither in TC. Whoever is healthy or the better player plays on a week to week basis. Then, we need to draft a starting RT to replace Clary, and Clary becomes the backup. We need two quality tackles, preferably in the first three rounds. I would even agree with Kemp that picking up a veteran tackle in FA would be smart, but we should also be drafting and grooming a future tackle for the years to come, because it's painfully obvious Clary isn't the answer.

Last edited by topcat4477; 12-01-2012 at 08:44 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
When I've rewatched the last few games, one thing that really stands out is Hardwick's play. It's not good. He may not have the "stats" that the OT's have in giving up sacks, but he is not giving Rivers any space to step up and avoid edge pressure.

The OT's are playing poorly, but I'd argue Hardwick is still this OL's weakest link.
And I would take up that argument Mr. Shamrock Shake. We might as well put two freaking revolving doors out there in the tackle slots. I mean it's God awful.

You are not the first to not be happy with Hardwick. My answer ?
We drafted the best Center in college football last season. Play David Molk from Michigan. You know they drafted him to replace Hardwick sooner or later.

TACKLES people ! We need tackles. I would draft one in the 1st round, draft a tackle/guard in later rounds. I would get a FA tackle.

Don't forget: We just drafted Troutman from Penn St. AJ is big on him, and he had some sick blocking stats in college. He's a guard, but why quibble.

Last edited by Chargerfreak; 12-01-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post

Let's face it--Hardwick is getting old, and now that Molk has a year under his belt, let's put the rook in on a rotation with Hardwick and see what he's got. Molk did win the Rimington award for top center, so he's no slouch.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
And I would take up that argument Mr. Shamrock Shake. We might as well put two freaking revolving doors out there in the tackle slots. I mean it's God awful.

You are not the first to not be happy with Hardwick. My answer ?
We drafted the best Center in college football last season. Play David Molk from Michigan. You know they drafted him to replace Hardwick sooner or later.

TACKLES people ! We need tackles. I would draft one in the 1st round, draft a tackle/guard in later rounds. I would get a FA tackle.

Don't forget: We just drafted Troutman from Penn St. AJ is big on him, and he had some sick blocking stats in college.
Troutman allowed NO sacks in 4 years! Yes, I'd love to see the kid get some PT asap. But yes, TACKLE is the biggest need, no doubt about it.