Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
It's going to take more than a tackle or two. Without Mathews we are devoid of any big time play makers on offense. We don't have a legit #1 receiver and Gates is no longer able to get the seperation he once did. I attended a couple games live this year and it's easy to see part of the reason PR struggles. Our receivers do not get seperation and when they do it's often too late and PR doesn't see it because at that point the play has broken down. PR is not the type of Qb that can extend plays as we all know. In other words the talent on O needs some major improvement.

The interior of our Oline is also in sorry shape. Hardwick maybe done and Green is not cutting it. Our running game is also greatly effected by the condition of our O line.

I do not think there is an easy fix. We won't get four new O line starters from the draft. We definitely can do better than we did this year. But to be clear we're talking about making the PO and being competitive when we get there. Can we patch thing up so that we get to 8-8, 9-7 sure.
Can we get to 12-4, probably not.

I'm more bullish on our D but that unit is not championship quality just yet.
I hear you, the AFC is not what it use to be and you only need 9 or 10 wins to get a WC and I think the Chargers can do that if they make the proper moves this offseason.

However, being a true contender is likely 3 years down the line........but baby steps first.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I am not. He's a right tackle who should stay at right tackle at the next level. He's tough, nasty, and strong... all of which I like. But he doesn't have left tackle feet or athelticism and isn't worth a top 10 pick. He's probably going to slide below where he's being rated currently. Either later in the first or high in the second (a la Reiff, Bulaga, Martin, Glenn, etc). He'd be a fine target if we're trading back but where we'll likely be picking he would be a reach. I'd put Joeckel, Lewan, and Fisher all above him, let alone players at other positions.

Now please do tell me how awesome his blood lines are.
I like Joeckel, but still needs to work on run blocking, lighter on his feet than Matthews, but Matthews is stronger and better run blocker. Actually, I take both, lol. Plus, he just killed Barkevious Mingo when they played. Didn't mingo get flagged like 3-4 times going against Matthews. I like both, but do not think Matthews will be there late in first, no way.

Oh, his blood line is awesome, Pops played 19 years!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhchargerfan View Post
I like Joeckel, but still needs to work on run blocking, lighter on his feet than Matthews, but Matthews is stronger and better run blocker. Actually, I take both, lol. Plus, he just killed Barkevious Mingo when they played. Didn't mingo get flagged like 3-4 times going against Matthews. I like both, but do not think Matthews will be there late in first, no way.

Oh, his blood line is awesome, Pops played 19 years!
Lol... I kind of hate it whenever a Matthews is in the draft because that's all I hear about. I know it's a topic of interest with these guys, but I'd so much rather talk about what they are doing on the field. Not you necessarily, but when Casey Matthews came out of Oregon a lot of people wanted to ignore what a mediocre player he was because he was a Matthews. Also, the run blocking criticism of Joeckel is a little dated. Yes, Matthews is the superior run blocker to this day, but Luke has been a lot better in 2012 than he was in 2011. TAMU has run behind him fairly often and with a lot of success. The problem is that a lot of the reports that are avaiable currently are based on last year.

Now, onto Jake. He's a good player, definitely. But we've seen a lot of similar players be overrated in recent years. I don't see a left tackle when I watch him play, and if teams agree than he's probably not going to get picked in the top half of the first round. Bulaga, Reiff, and Martin are three recent examples of OT's who were widely expected to go in the top of round one but then dropped into the second half of the round or into round 2 because teams decided that they probably weren't NFL left tackles. I could see the same thing happening with Matthews. As you mentioned, he has heavier feet and it has occasionally gotten him into trouble. He did lock down Mingo, but so did a lot of tackles this season. Mingo has been lackluster.

And getting both would be stellar .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Embrace the Sadness :'(

I am convinced LSU is not using Mingo correctly. From a LSU fan, they keep lining him up as a 5i, and that's not a very good starting point for a player who would be best used at the wide 9.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Green text is the worst

Very well could be the case. I don't really have high regard for LSU's coaching staff. But the fact remains that a lot of tackles have held Mingo to minimal production this season. So even though Matthews probably did a better job than most, that game doesn't exactly mean he can handle any outside pass rusher.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
From a pure pass protection standpoint, I would say that the Bolts need to overhaul much of their line. At a minimum, two tackles would be a start. A backup guard would be helpful. Tyronne Green is having a good year, allowing no sacks in 10 games. Vasquez and Hardwick have only allowed 2 and 2.5, but we could use depth at guard. Hopefully Troutman develops, but it would be wise to draft a guard in mid to later rounds. The main problem is, by far at tackle. Clary is clearly not able to get the job done. Gaither is very effective when healthy, but when not entirely healthy, not so good. Here are sacks allowed by Bolt line through 11 games:

T - Clary - 8.5 sacks allowed in 11 games
T - Harris - 6 sacks in 11 games
T - Gaither - 4 sacks in 4 games
C - Hardwick - 2.5 sacks in 11 games
G - Vasquez - 2 sacks in 11 games
G - Green - 0 sacks in 10 games
G - Hughes - 2.5 sacks in 3 games
C/G - Hadnot - 1 sack in 11 games
C Molk - 0 sacks in 11 games (sparing play)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/team/chargers/roster/

(click on player, and stats show up)

Jake Long could be the answer but we are a cheap franchise
Luke MArquardt or Dann O'Neil are two solid 6'8" 6'9" LT's a rookie RT and a vet at LT is usually the way to go then again we threw Mc Neil in he dominated