Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm No Noob

Default Football Is Unfortunately All About Matchups

A day later, and I've come to the realization that success and failure in this league for us is all about matchups.

It's like that for other teams as well.

We aren't built to beat the Chiefs. It's just as simple as that. Their speed and mobile QB are a nightmare. That's it. I've seen enough. That's just how it is.

But how do we manage the other games on our schedule? We have 14 other games and we've gone 7-5. Not good enough. We all know we left wins on the table. We're not getting them back and it is what it is.

We can all talk about the coach, Rivers, the OL, lack of pass rush, special teams, whatever you want to talk about it.

But the sad, hard truth is that we just don't match up well against Kansas City.

The solution isn't to worry about it. You hear me? Don't worry about it. Because we beat 7 other teams, should've been 9-10 wins already and finish as a 11-12 win team even with the 2 Chiefs losses.

Think about it... Kansas City has been our two worst games, two worst offensive performances and two of the worst handful of scores we've given up.

But it's not really a "problem" that is easily fixed, and I'd rather be built to win a solid 10-11 games a season even if it means losing two to KC.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tee View Post
A day later, and I've come to the realization that success and failure in this league for us is all about matchups.

It's like that for other teams as well.

We aren't built to beat the Chiefs. It's just as simple as that. Their speed and mobile QB are a nightmare. That's it. I've seen enough. That's just how it is.

But how do we manage the other games on our schedule? We have 14 other games and we've gone 7-5. Not good enough. We all know we left wins on the table. We're not getting them back and it is what it is.

We can all talk about the coach, Rivers, the OL, lack of pass rush, special teams, whatever you want to talk about it.

But the sad, hard truth is that we just don't match up well against Kansas City.

The solution isn't to worry about it. You hear me? Don't worry about it. Because we beat 7 other teams, should've been 9-10 wins already and finish as a 11-12 win team even with the 2 Chiefs losses.

Think about it... Kansas City has been our two worst games, two worst offensive performances and two of the worst handful of scores we've given up.

But it's not really a "problem" that is easily fixed, and I'd rather be built to win a solid 10-11 games a season even if it means losing two to KC.
Always about matchups. Week to week league. Our biggest 2 weaknesses are exploited by KC. Interior OL and interior DL. We still need to shore that up no matter what.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Alex Smith's days are numbered. They most likely will contend then lose in the playoffs. Mahomes is observing and learning under him. KC fans are tired of just contending every year. Pat Mahomes may start next year if Smith plateau's yet again with a one and done in January.

Chargers now like T'eo have the same concerns with Perryman. Denzil is a solid starter when he is in there but dude gets injured too much sad to say. Ankle surgery this year and now a hamstring injury? Chargers have definite needs as mentioned here most notably OL, DT, LB and for the future of the franchise QB.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
Alex Smith's days are numbered. They most likely will contend then lose in the playoffs. Mahomes is observing and learning under him. KC fans are tired of just contending every year. Pat Mahomes may start next year if Smith plateau's yet again with a one and done in January.

Chargers now like T'eo have the same concerns with Perryman. Denzil is a solid starter when he is in there but dude gets injured too much sad to say. Ankle surgery this year and now a hamstring injury? Chargers have definite needs as mentioned here most notably OL, DT, LB and for the future of the franchise QB.
I would like to see us draft a QB followed by DT, OL (center), LB in that order.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Boltgang74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post
I would like to see us draft a QB followed by DT, OL (center), LB in that order.
And a kicker in the 7th.Perfect
Old 12-17-2017, 01:08 PM
All-Pro

KC is stupid if they get rid of Smith. Dude has done nothing but win with them.... very little mistakes.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tee View Post
That's not a winning mentality. You want to beat everyone. If we want to take the next step, we have to overcome KC.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Allen owns Peters if Rivers has protection. That's a positive match up.

We need a tackle who can block against the AFC West all pro rushers in Houston, Von Miller and Khalil Mack. Okung has been stellar up until his injury last night. Need someone at the right tackle spot if it's not Lamp. 15 sacks allowed leading into last nights game isn't too shabby. We want to dominate the run more so a tackle who can do both along with a center would be nice.

We've missed in drafting for this position ala Chris Watt, Max Tuerk both 3rd round misses. I think Tuerk is back with us on the practice squad. Wooo Woooo 1st round miss in drafting D.J. Fluker. You want someone to be around and play at a high level at least through two contracts ideally.

Middle of the defense needs are apparent especially against good teams.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:19 PM
We're there!!

The organization might have to start thinking outside the box and fill some missing pieces in free agency. I know we like to build through the draft and only sign mid-level castaways, but we have to find enough talent to start beating good teams. We are 2-5 against teams with a winning record.

Look at what the Rams did: landing Pro Bowl left tackle Andrew Whitworth, dependable wide receiver Robert Woods, outside linebacker Connor Barwin and cornerback Kayvon Webster. They also traded for Sammy Watkins.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:24 PM
I'm No Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
That's not a winning mentality. You want to beat everyone. If we want to take the next step, we have to overcome KC.
I'm just taking a few steps back and making one of the most honest statements anyone can make.

You can have any mentality you want to have, but that doesn't mean anything. We don't have the personnel but that doesn't mean we can't contend against the league as a whole with this group.