Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM
First member of the board

Default I'm starting to wonder

Earlier in the off season I thought the team doesn't need a DE or a Safety but losing McCain and Boston has me re-thinking that.

Did DE and Safety just jump to the top of TT's list?

It seems there must be a sign in those two releases - either they like someone already on the team ......... or, they plan to fill those spots in through the draft.

I'm starting to think that a DE may be the first round pick and Safety in the second.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 AM
HOFer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
Earlier in the off season I thought the team doesn't need a DE or a Safety but losing McCain and Boston has me re-thinking that.

It seems there must be a sign in those two releases - either they like someone already on the team ......... or, they plan to fill those spots in through the draft.

I'm starting to think that a DE may be the first round pick and Safety in the second.
Possibly. I have safety as a high priority!
I still think CM gets a Bolt contract but even with him DE is still a need to a degree.
I think having another guy who can play multiple positions on the DL, plays with strength in run game, and explosion in the pass game.
Im fairly sure PJ Hall will be in my final mock and he can play anywhere on the DL.

Mack Wilson (LB) BAMA, Jalen Jelks (DE) ORE, Gerald Willis III (DT) TheU, Paul Adams (OT) MIZ, Nasir Adderley (FS/CB) UD, Davion Davis (WR/RS) SHSU, Eli Dunne (QB) UNI

The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe it. Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Old 04-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Hall of Famer

I am sure the Chargers took a good look at their Big Board and who they projected to be available at 17, 48, and 84.

My focus is on EDGE and off line of scrimmage linebacker.

Jaylen Watkins. Rayshawn Jenkins. Jahleel Addae.
My FS 's.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:44 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
I am sure the Chargers took a good look at their Big Board and who they projected to be available at 17, 48, and 84.

My focus is on EDGE and off line of scrimmage linebacker.

Jaylen Watkins. Rayshawn Jenkins. Jahleel Addae.
My FS 's.

LOL...your kidding, right? There isn't a viable single high in that group...Addae is the best, and if he is starting, I'm worried. Jenkins might be a really good in the box safety, Watkins is a versatile depth signing.

Thats like the team telling Boston he is a SS. Of course they did...they are trying to get him on the cheap...but he is better at FS by far than anyone above.

If you believe they really feel Boston is more of a SS type...what does that make the above group?

Unless you envision a scheme adjustment? Maybe the traditional single high is going away?

Me? I still believe you get your 4 best DBs on the field. That means Verret or King will be tried out pre season as centerfielders, if we miss out on a prospect in the draft, or during post draft cuts. Watkins is merely an insurance policy, and depth for all postions IMO.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Bolt View Post
LOL...your kidding, right? There isn't a viable single high in that group...Addae is the best, and if he is starting, I'm worried. Jenkins might be a really good in the box safety, Watkins is a versatile depth signing.

Thats like the team telling Boston he is a SS. Of course they did...they are trying to get him on the cheap...but he is better at FS by far than anyone above.

If you believe they really feel Boston is more of a SS type...what does that make the above group?

Unless you envision a scheme adjustment? Maybe the traditional single high is going away?

Me? I still believe you get your 4 best DBs on the field. That means Verret or King will be tried out pre season as centerfielders, if we miss out on a prospect in the draft, or during post draft cuts. Watkins is merely an insurance policy, and depth for all postions IMO.
Talk to TT.
Last year:
Malik Hooker: elite FS. Pass
Jamal Adams: elite SS Would have passed.

As we get closer to the Draft, my musings will be more along the line of...

Predicting who will fall and what will TT do?

Rather than

Who do I like and what do I want to be true, in spite of reality ?

Also, talk to gusD.
He WILL surprise us in what he wants.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Stopping the run should be our #1 priority.

Rivers: "We have the pieces to do something special"
Old 04-17-2018, 01:47 PM
Hall of Famer

It all starts on the inside.. If we don't address the interior DL, QB's will once again waltz up the pocket leaving our edge rushers to waste. On running downs, our Edge rushers are forced to run stop as well because our DT's and LB's can't get it done. Perryman is often injured and is only one guy. He can't be solely relied on for run stopping.

To add to the lack of talent at DT and LB, DE could getting thin with the loss of Mccain. This draft should be heavy defense early on.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:53 PM
We're there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post

MLB is still a huge concern for me. When Perryman went down, we were razor thin at that position.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post
It all starts on the inside.. If we don't address the interior DL, QB's will once again waltz up the pocket leaving our edge rushers to waste. On running downs, our Edge rushers are forced to run stop as well because our DT's and LB's can't get it done. Perryman is often injured and is only one guy. He can't be solely relied on for run stopping.

To add to the lack of talent at DT and LB, DE could getting thin with the loss of Mccain. This draft should be heavy defense early on.
Oh...... but we need to get an OT. Even though OT is already loaded.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post

This.
I'm surprised we haven't cut Mebane yet. Maybe they are working on restructuring his deal... but he's over the hill now so he's depth at best if we do keep him.