Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents/Trade Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
I believe every team in professional sports does an analysis of cost (players) at the conclusion of each season. It starts the process of looking forward at possible moves, needed moves, and hopeful moves. I have no idea if CL is 'worth' the cost, but I am certain the team FO will know, or decide, and act accordingly.
Yeah agreed, I mean shoot they’re the ones who gave him the contract. Also the perception of us fans is always going to vary from the coaching staff.

I don’t see him impact the game on a level that is sufficient with his contract, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have any value, or incremental value in the locker room even.

I view him similar to Okung... solid vet, locker room value, $10m yr contract, could be upgraded but not immediately the end of the world if not.

My concern isn’t 18 as much as it is 19, we have young talent that will need to get paid.
4. Shaquem Griffin, LB
5. Poona Ford, DT
6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB
7. Trey Quinn, WR

UDFA. CB Grant Haley, S Troy Apke, OT Korey Cunningham, DE Mike Love

"Penetration is needed" - Woodeye via TT
Old 01-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Hall of Famer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6CfbKzlil8&t=9s

just found this which is a compilation of highlight plays from the defense.

Take this with a grain of salt, as all of these are highlight plays.

I watched every play spotlighting liuget. He does take some double teams from time to time, his pass rush ability always comes to a halt, theres not enough push. still my impression of him is that he's not making enough impact to warrant 10 mil/yr. We run a lot of base on 1st down, than it just rotates to a ton of hybrid fronts, nickel & dime looks with Phillips playing linebacker. Sometimes have Joey or melvin playing a Defensive Tackle at least based on alignments. We need a game changing DT, someone who is HARD to block. This & a heat seeking linebacker takes a good defense to a great defense.

We need a bigger push on the interior, Liuget like I said, is just average.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Corey Liuget is part of a very good defense. We have a game changer that has raised our level of play in Joey Bosa. If we can do better than Corey to be a dominant defense than so be it.

NFL teams have been trying to find the next Warren Saap for over a decade and prior to that they have been seeking out the next Mean Joe Greene. These defensive tackles don't grow on trees. Corey is no where near that standard. He does a decent job but nothing to be amazed about. Still, our defense is one of the main reasons why the Chargers went on a 9-3 run in the final 12 games of the season.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Hall of Famer

We don't have to Settle for Vitameatavegamin.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Yeah, they will act according to the terms of his contract and pay him his money.

LOL
Those terms might allow the team to decide between paying him x amount, or releasing him, teams call. Hence 'act accordingly'......but lol all you want Mr. Mod

Old 01-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Those terms might allow the team to decide between paying him x amount, or releasing him, teams call. Hence 'act accordingly'......but lol all you want Mr. Mod
Mr. Mod? Don't get his hopes up oh favorite one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
Corey Liuget is part of a very good defense. We have a game changer that has raised our level of play in Joey Bosa. If we can do better than Corey to be a dominant defense than so be it.

NFL teams have been trying to find the next Warren Saap for over a decade and prior to that they have been seeking out the next Mean Joe Greene. These defensive tackles don't grow on trees. Corey is no where near that standard. He does a decent job but nothing to be amazed about. Still, our defense is one of the main reasons why the Chargers went on a 9-3 run in the final 12 games of the season.
And part of that 9-3 run is when Liuget played less and Philon played more. I know Liuget missed a game or two whatever it was due to injury. But even prior and after that Philon was basically playing half the snaps/playing more than Liuget.

Sorry, but $10 million a year for a part time player that is not dominant when he’s playing part time is not worth it. Just because he’s not Warren sapp/etc does not mean we expect him to be when we say we think he’s being over paid.

Yes, the FO gave him his current contract. But that was also thinking he’d continue to grow as a player and play at a high level matching that. I get he was given that while in a 3-4, but he has played better in the 4-3 but still isn’t worth that money. Go look up all the other DTs being paid around him, also go look up the 3-4 DEs being paid around him and ask is he worth $10 million a year.

Not hating on Liuget, but we need to either cut and bring him back at a more suitable pay scale or restructure his contract. When a 6th round developmental pick is playing more snaps than you and you’re getting paid $10 million a year to be a top starter on our defense, it says you need to step up your game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Hall of Famer

So are the CMB bean counters saying they want to play Moneyball ?

Liuget was dinged.

We can always burn a round two on Lowell, because of, you know, the name. Cheaper. Great durability. Average impact.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
Mr. Mod? Don't get his hopes up oh favorite one.
It is the .....rumeur du jour ou de la semaine

Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
So are the CMB bean counters saying they want to play Moneyball ?

Liuget was dinged.

We can always burn a round two on Lowell, because of, you know, the name. Cheaper. Great durability. Average impact.
Even when he hasn’t been dinged up, he has never lived up to those contract numbers. For that price tag we can definitely get someone better. I’d like to restructure and keep him. If not, cut him and find someone in FA who will be decent at a lower price tag.

Again Philon stole snaps away from him, even before he got injured. He also played more as the season went on. Just also happened to be the defense started playing better. Not all on Philon but he was part of that formula.