Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Embrace the Sadness :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
If, as you say, the majority of Lewan's issues are technique-related, then there's no reason he couldn't be a dominant player with the right coaching.
Technique can't always be fixed. If it is natural for you to bend at your waist, than it is hard to learn to bend at your knees, and sit in your stance. Even when learned, you might revert back a few times each game, or it might feel uncomfortable to you and you might start bending at the waist again.

Hand placement can be coached, leverage can be learned, footwork can be taught, to bend at the knees can be shown, the question is how much technique will stick. Will he work hard enough to make it all stick. Will he revert back at times, in turn be inconsistent like a Jared Gaither.

He could be, I just don't think he will. I don't know how hard of a worker he is though.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Green text is the worst

Obviously not every player with poor technique is just going to automatically be refined at the next level. But it can happen. Whereas players can't be taught talent. Branden Albert is a good example of a guy who didn't have a good understanding of how to play the tackle position but has developed over time into one of the league's best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Obviously not every player with poor technique is just going to automatically be refined at the next level. But it can happen. Whereas players can't be taught talent. Branden Albert is a good example of a guy who didn't have a good understanding of how to play the tackle position but has developed over time into one of the league's best.
Good counter, but I will counter with this:

The difference between someone who can refine his technique and someone who reverts back to his poor technique is the difference between Joe Thomas and Jake Long. One will consistently dominate, the other will be inconsistent. Can't get by on talent alone.

Disclaimer: I know Jake Long is an extreme example, maybe a less extreme example is Ryan Clady?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

From TMQ:
Quote:
Heisman Watch: The trophy is announced Saturday, and Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M may become the first freshman winner. But just as TMQ disqualifies quarterbacks from my annual Tuesday Morning Quarterback Non-Quarterback Non-Running Back NFL MVP, I disqualify quarterbacks from the Heisman, too. Here are my votes:

Runner-up: B.J. Finney, Kansas State, offensive line. A walk-on, he has been a key to Kansas State's BCS season.

Runner-up: Rick Wagner, Wisconsin, offensive line. You don't rush for 539 yards against a ranked team without a great offensive line.

Runner-up: Chance Warmack, Alabama, offensive line. His performance against Georgia was near perfect. Warmack was blocking so well, often driving his man 10 yards from the point of attack, that in the second half watching him was more fun than watching any skill player. When was the last time that watching an offensive lineman was fun? Alabama center Barrett Jones also is an unusually good blocker. Warmack may become the highest-drafted guard since Chris Naeole was taken by New Orleans with the 10th selection in 1997.
Still think Warmack is a damned good idea.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Draft This Man

Warmack is a manchild and if the Lewan, Joeckel, Milliner, and some others are gone, I'd trade down to 15ish and snag him. Dude will make sure a guy like Geno Atkins gets no where near the QB. And if we did that, I'd use the picks to move back into the first and grab a guy like Aboushi.

sean of BSX
Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4aRing View Post
Good counter, but I will counter with this:

The difference between someone who can refine his technique and someone who reverts back to his poor technique is the difference between Joe Thomas and Jake Long. One will consistently dominate, the other will be inconsistent. Can't get by on talent alone.

Disclaimer: I know Jake Long is an extreme example, maybe a less extreme example is Ryan Clady?
Truth. And if we drafted Lewan high and he turned into Clady, I wouldn't be thrilled but I also wouldn't consider it a bust. The pass protection Clady affords is more than enough for Rivers to be effective, as we've seen in the past with an inconsistent McNeill.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Warmack is a manchild and if the Lewan, Joeckel, Milliner, and some others are gone, I'd trade down to 15ish and snag him. Dude will make sure a guy like Geno Atkins gets no where near the QB. And if we did that, I'd use the picks to move back into the first and grab a guy like Aboushi.
I'd pretty damned OK with this. Sounds like that kid from K-state is going to be a hell of a center when he comes out for the draft.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I'd pretty damned OK with this. Sounds like that kid from K-state is going to be a hell of a center when he comes out for the draft.
He doesn't play Center.
3. Christian Westerman - OG/C - Arizona State
4. Dean Lowry - 34DE - Northwestern
5. Robby Anderson - WR - Temple
6a. Jatavis Brown - ILB - Akron
6b. Victor Ochi - 34OLB - Stony Brook
7. Darrell Greene - OG - San Diego State
Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Truth. And if we drafted Lewan high and he turned into Clady, I wouldn't be thrilled but I also wouldn't consider it a bust. The pass protection Clady affords is more than enough for Rivers to be effective, as we've seen in the past with an inconsistent McNeill.
Then I think we are on the same page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Decastro>Warmack

I support your draft Aboushi message.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Green text is the worst

I think Warmack and DeCastro are pretty tight and it would come down to what you want your guards to do well. DeCastro pulls and blocks on the move unlike anyone I've ever seen coming out of college. Warmack is superior as a senior at the POA driving blocking.