Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
those of you who think QB isnt a position of need..................in his prime with LT, Gates, VJ, Sproles, and a terrific OLine blocking for Rivers, he won us NOTHING>
So he was the problem on those teams? The best team he ever had he got to the AFCCG and lost playing on a torn ACL.

So am I to understand that any player on any team that hasn't won a superbowl needs to be replaced? Or am I just to understand that you're going to blame Rivers regardless?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 AM
He's Alive, Jim.

Interesting tid-bit from Ricky Henne. I know he's just a PR guy, but interesting nonetheless...

Quote:
" I’d expect the team to address the offensive line and even the wide receiver position in free agency and the draft to help out Rivers in 2013."
Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Interesting tid-bit from Ricky Henne. I know he's just a PR guy, but interesting nonetheless...
I mean this is pretty obvious to anyone who has seen our offense this year. If we give Rivers time to throw consistently (I wanna emphasize the word consistently. If it's not consistent, Rivers will anticipate pressure even when it's not there) we will win more games. Plain and simple. My only beef with Rivers is his occasional blunders like the throw away interceptions and the unforced fumbles. If those aren't corrected then we may need a new QB.

Anyway, fortunately for us, there's a true blue chip talent at Oline. If Joeckel is there when we pick we MUST DRAFT HIM. That's a big "if" though...

Meh
Old 12-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargermouse View Post
I mean this is pretty obvious to anyone who has seen our offense this year. If we give Rivers time to throw consistently (I wanna emphasize the word consistently. If it's not consistent, Rivers will anticipate pressure even when it's not there) we will win more games. Plain and simple. My only beef with Rivers is his occasional blunders like the throw away interceptions and the unforced fumbles. If those aren't corrected then we may need a new QB.

Anyway, fortunately for us, there's a true blue chip talent at Oline. If Joeckel is there when we pick we MUST DRAFT HIM. That's a big "if" though...
Not gonna lie, if we did draft everyone in your mock, Id be pretty happy and I think it'd be a very successful draft. I think you could even sub in J.Matthews in the first and Stephan Taylor in the 3rd and it'd be just as good. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Matheiu after the 4th. Possibly trading down in the first to get another pick.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Green text is the worst

Quote:

Psh... as if. Clearly we need to draft a marginal QB talent like Matt Barkley instead because Rivers hasn't won a superbowl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Mike8272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
those of you who think QB isnt a position of need..................in his prime with LT, Gates, VJ, Sproles, and a terrific OLine blocking for Rivers, he won us NOTHING>
Rivers is still an excellent QB. He's having a bad year, but he's still the 9th most accurate starting QB in the league (1. McElroy, 2. Ryan, 3. Peyton, 4. Rodgers, 5. Romo, 6. RG3, 7. Kapaernick, 8, Schuabb, 9. Rivers) and 16th overall. He's thrown the 16th most yards in a team that lacks an elite receiver. He's thrown joint 8th most TDs. He's got the 16th best QB rating in current starting QBs*.

Now sure the guy has had a 'bad' year, but he's still a top 16 QB. If we go out in free agency, or draft him better weapons; and also sure up our O-line; then for me Rivers can still put up big numbers and make us competitive. There is no one in this years draft who could displace Rivers, there might be a guy who we can draft and develop (eg Tyler Bray, Mike Glennon etc). But In reality many teams in this legue woud pounce at the chance to land Rivers because he still is an excellent starting QB, and with the right weapons and protection can put up lite numbers in the top five QBs in the league.

We are lucky to have him. We might not have won anything, but we've generally been competitive. Also, Jim Kelly won nothing at the Bills, and Dan Marino never won with the Dolphins. Would you have got rid of them?

*stats via NFL.com
Old 12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygobrett View Post
Not gonna lie, if we did draft everyone in your mock, Id be pretty happy and I think it'd be a very successful draft. I think you could even sub in J.Matthews in the first and Stephan Taylor in the 3rd and it'd be just as good. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Matheiu after the 4th. Possibly trading down in the first to get another pick.
Thanks daygobrett. Unfortunately my mock is kinda out of date. Barr decided to stay at UCLA I just haven't gotten around to update my sig and avi...

Meh
Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Thanks daygobrett. Unfortunately my mock is kinda out of date. Barr decided to stay at UCLA I just haven't gotten around to update my sig and avi...
Haha, yeah. Both your avatar and signature were jinxes!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Haha, yeah. Both your avatar and signature were jinxes!
I take no responsibility, but just in case, I'll probably sport a Peyton Manning avi from now on haha.

Meh
Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
So he was the problem on those teams? The best team he ever had he got to the AFCCG and lost playing on a torn ACL.

So am I to understand that any player on any team that hasn't won a superbowl needs to be replaced? Or am I just to understand that you're going to blame Rivers regardless?
he won nothing with hall of famers all around him in his prime. You're expecting what from him at this point in his career? If there's a choice out there available and you dont go for it because you have him, it's a colossal mistake.