Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
It would be an interesting draft..... I think Price is gone before 29 though.
We're talking about football.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Rd1/29. Billy Price C ohio state

Rd2/61. Mark Andrews TE oklahoma

Rd 3/97. Keishawn Bierria WILL washington
I like Billy Price quite a bit. If we end up drafting @#29, this might be where he goes. Frank Ragnow in the late 2nd would be another way to go should Price be gone.

I must admit, I haven't been scouting TE's. Mark Andrews was a nice surprise to me. I really liked his evasive moves after catch.

Bierria seems a little early in the 3rd. I haven't watched Bierria as much as I've watched his fellow teammate Azeem Victor... who mysteriously got less and less playing time as the 2017 year passed. I guess Jatavis Brown knows how Azeem feels...
Old 12-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Rd4/131. Davontae Harris DB illinois state

Rd5/167 Kamryn Pettway RB auburn

Rd6/ 208. Darius Jackson SAM jacksonville state

Rd7/246 Alex Cappa ORT humbolt state
6'7' 310#.
Haven't seen much of Harris in coverage, but looks like a fine tackler.

Pettway is a powerful RB with surprising acceleration and moves for a big guy. Another reminder of how the RB is deep in this draft.

I like what I've seen of Darius Jackson. Looks the part of SAM. Haven't seen him in coverage.

Cappa would be developmental. Humbolt State is a long way away from the NFL. Hey, it's the 7th round. Obviously, I'd like an OT earlier.

Nice job Eye. You put your work in!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:26 AM
Hall of Famer

@Boltnut. Right here in the CMB Draft Hub, you must bring your A game. December/January. This is where we see some college stars rise and fall.

@ ChargerTrader, comment is reserved until several of your picks are studied further. You have stumped the Eye.

Lots of scouts' eyes on prospects is a good thing.

Harold Landry.. LB.. boston coll
Rasheem Green.. DL.. usc
Derrick Nnadi.. DL.. florida st
Mark Walton.. RB/PR.. miami fl
Colby Gossett.. OL.. appalachian st
Frank Ginda.. LB.. san jose st
Jeremy Reaves.. S.. s alabama
Old 12-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Hall of Famer

A few notes on some of my current mock draft picks, that may help...

Round 1 - Billy Price, OC/OG, Ohio State
> I had comments in my other post. Great value/need pick.

Round 2 - Vita Vea, DT, Washington
> 6'4", 332 lbs. I found this round 2 pick my most difficult. Considered Lowell Lotulelei, some OTs, some LBs. Vita's games against Cal and Oregon were good. Can be a 3 or 1 technique player and provide a bull rush up the middle of the pocket. Good run support as well. This pick is still up in the air, I do question his tenacity a bit. Vea is a bit of a polarizing figure among scouts. I would love Hurst but he does not make it to this round 2 selection. I am going inside DL with this selection, as Mebane gets older and Luiget has one year left on his contract next season.

Round 3 - DeShon Elliot, S, Texas
> This pick is made if Boston does not resign. 6'2" and 210lbs. Jim Thorpe finalist. 6 interceptions. Check out his games against USC and Iowa State. Reads the play very well and does not get lost in coverage. I know TT does not value safeties early, so this pick is also on monitor status.

Round 4 - Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
> 6'6", 262lbs. Excellent hands, does not run routes as crisp as Andrews or Fumagalli, but knows how to get open and position himself against safety and LB coverage. Given we have Hunter Henry, I think there are bigger needs in round 2 and 3, so feel this is good value in round 4.

Round 5 - Austin Golson, OC, Auburn
> Mentioned him before. 6'4" 314lbs. I watch him and see someone with the same upside as Will Clap, LSU. Provides Lynn with another Oline piece to complement the overall puzzle. Price, Lamp, Golson added to the current line.

Round 6 - Bo Scarborough, RB, Alabama
> 6'2", 228lbs. I like his size, provides both power and run skills. Averaged over 4 yards per carry. Check out his games against Tennessee and Washington. Lost starting job to Damien Harris, but I see him as a complementary back for Gordon and Ekeler, useful in short yardage situations.

Round 7 - Danny Johnson, CB, Southern
> 5'10", 185 lbs. I rarely ever consider a corner under 6 feet, so this is a bit of a dart pick for me. But hey, it is early, this is round 7, the crapshoot round, and I like to watch fast players. Johnson is very fast and has good DB skills, but of course is playing against lesser competition. He would be a project. I considered Andre Chachere of San Jose State in this grouping as well. Need to see if they have any kick return skills.

Rd 1 (17) Harold Landry, DE
Rd 2 (48) Harrison Phillips, DT
Rd 3 (84) Rashaad Penny, RB
Rd 4 (119) Kameron Kelly, S
Rd 5 (155) Ike Boettger, OT
Rd 6 (191) Ethan Wolf, TE
Rd 7 (251) Jaleel Scott, WR

Last edited by ChargerTrader; 12-05-2017 at 08:46 AM..
Old 12-05-2017, 09:35 AM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerTrader View Post
A few notes on some of my current mock draft picks, that may help...

Round 1 - Billy Price, OC/OG, Ohio State
> I had comments in my other post. Great value/need pick.

Round 2 - Vita Vea, DT, Washington
> 6'4", 332 lbs. I found this round 2 pick my most difficult. Considered Lowell Lotulelei, some OTs, some LBs. Vita's games against Cal and Oregon were good. Can be a 3 or 1 technique player and provide a bull rush up the middle of the pocket. Good run support as well. This pick is still up in the air, I do question his tenacity a bit. Vea is a bit of a polarizing figure among scouts. I would love Hurst but he does not make it to this round 2 selection. I am going inside DL with this selection, as Mebane gets older and Luiget has one year left on his contract next season.

Round 3 - DeShon Elliot, S, Texas
> This pick is made if Boston does not resign. 6'2" and 210lbs. Jim Thorpe finalist. 6 interceptions. Check out his games against USC and Iowa State. Reads the play very well and does not get lost in coverage. I know TT does not value safeties early, so this pick is also on monitor status.

Round 4 - Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
> 6'6", 262lbs. Excellent hands, does not run routes as crisp as Andrews or Fumagalli, but knows how to get open and position himself against safety and LB coverage. Given we have Hunter Henry, I think there are bigger needs in round 2 and 3, so feel this is good value in round 4.

Round 5 - Austin Golson, OC, Auburn
> Mentioned him before. 6'4" 314lbs. I watch him and see someone with the same upside as Will Clap, LSU. Provides Lynn with another Oline piece to complement the overall puzzle. Price, Lamp, Golson added to the current line.

Round 6 - Bo Scarborough, RB, Alabama
> 6'2", 228lbs. I like his size, provides both power and run skills. Averaged over 4 yards per carry. Check out his games against Tennessee and Washington. Lost starting job to Damien Harris, but I see him as a complementary back for Gordon and Ekeler, useful in short yardage situations.

Round 7 - Danny Johnson, CB, Southern
> 5'10", 185 lbs. I rarely ever consider a corner under 6 feet, so this is a bit of a dart pick for me. But hey, it is early, this is round 7, the crapshoot round, and I like to watch fast players. Johnson is very fast and has good DB skills, but of course is playing against lesser competition. He would be a project. I considered Andre Chachere of San Jose State in this grouping as well. Need to see if they have any kick return skills.
Love where you're going with this. Not my targeted players personally, but I'm totally with you on rebuilding from the inside out. I love that your first 3 picks are C, DT and S.

Supplementary Rd 5 target for you: Brendan Mahon, OL, Penn St. Good run blocker, G/T experience would be a quality backup/competitor on our OL and offers position flex, doesn't get penalties. Heading into this year he was the 10th highest positively-graded blocks (for OT in draft class) per PFF.
4. Shaquem Griffin, LB
5. Poona Ford, DT
6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB
7. Trey Quinn, WR

UDFA. CB Grant Haley, S Troy Apke, OT Korey Cunningham, DE Mike Love

"Penetration is needed" - Woodeye via TT
Old 12-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Hall of Famer

ChargerTrader, my favorite of your picks is DeShon Elliott.
I remember him now from the USC game.
There were those two classic plays, the shoestring interception and the goal line tackle.
I have been thinking CB who can play FS, but he would be good value in the 3rd round.
Excellent size and good feel for the game of football.
I especially like Gesicki as a Red Zone target and matchup problem.

Harold Landry.. LB.. boston coll
Rasheem Green.. DL.. usc
Derrick Nnadi.. DL.. florida st
Mark Walton.. RB/PR.. miami fl
Colby Gossett.. OL.. appalachian st
Frank Ginda.. LB.. san jose st
Jeremy Reaves.. S.. s alabama
Old 12-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the feedback Woodeye and I_Amazing_I... very much appreciated...

I will keep digging and evaluating... I re-watched three Penn State games tonight.

Rd 1 (17) Harold Landry, DE
Rd 2 (48) Harrison Phillips, DT
Rd 3 (84) Rashaad Penny, RB
Rd 4 (119) Kameron Kelly, S
Rd 5 (155) Ike Boettger, OT
Rd 6 (191) Ethan Wolf, TE
Rd 7 (251) Jaleel Scott, WR
Old 12-06-2017, 02:03 AM
Brazilian Charger 4 Life

It's been some 8 years now that I admire the deep digging you guys do every draft season.
I'm pretty sure some of you could be professional scouts.

More and more this becomes my favorite part of football.

Keep up the great work !!!

Now, for the question that is in my mind.
I'm willing to spend up to a 4th on a kicker.
Who is my guy? Or, even better, is there that guy in this draft?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:32 AM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottotelfser View Post
It's been some 8 years now that I admire the deep digging you guys do every draft season.
I'm pretty sure some of you could be professional scouts.

More and more this becomes my favorite part of football.

Keep up the great work !!!

Now, for the question that is in my mind.
I'm willing to spend up to a 4th on a kicker.
Who is my guy? Or, even better, is there that guy in this draft?
Call me skeptical but after the Aguayo fiasco I don’t want to touch a rookie kicker, especially when there are some quality proven vets that should be available in FA.
4. Shaquem Griffin, LB
5. Poona Ford, DT
6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB
7. Trey Quinn, WR

UDFA. CB Grant Haley, S Troy Apke, OT Korey Cunningham, DE Mike Love

"Penetration is needed" - Woodeye via TT