Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espańol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
Call me skeptical but after the Aguayo fiasco I don’t want to touch a rookie kicker, especially when there are some quality proven vets that should be available in FA.
So we have already vetted them ?

Oh ho ho. I'm on a roll today !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Mo’ Hurts

Default Offseason thoughts and mock

Intro:
We have various key pieces and elite quality players, but it’s insufficient to play complementary football. Elite edge rushers and CB, but lackluster interior defense (vs run and pass). Elite QB and good weapons, but horrible running game (both OL and RB). To win a championship we need to focus on complementary football, otherwise opponents can scheme around our strengths.

Focus:
+ Defensive interior players that can win 1-1 matchups (since opponent will double Bosa and/or Ingram)
+ Control the clock… good running game offensively and stopping the run defensively
+ Take pressure off Rivers with a great defense and running game

Assumptions:
+ Lamp returns healthy to play RG
+ Concentrate Free Agency spending on brining in the best interior OL available (I prefer this to drafting, PR is entering the final stage of a HOF career, I want to give him a vet at C who can make line calls and be the leader of the group)
+ Sign vet K and P in FA to fix our ST woes. No more going cheap on ST, we’ve got the cap space.

1. Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
Explosive, undersized DT reminiscent of Donald/Atkins/Jarrett
Highest rated player in CFB per PFF (best I can tell) at 96.9
Excellent run defender and pass rusher
Highly disruptive in the backfield, would be an excellent complement to Bosa/Ingram
Not sure if he lasts until our pick, he’s a player I would trade up for if needed

2. T.J. Edwards, LB, Wisconsin
Mr. Consistent, hasn’t missed a game at Wisconsin that I can tell
Highly productive in 3 years: 250 Tackles, 26 TFL, 7 Ints, 13 Pass Def
3-Down LB, equally skilled vs run and pass
Athletic ability to play sideline to sideline

3. Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon
Big bodied, athletic OT with good feet
Good run blocker and in pass pro
Day 1 competition (hopefully starter) at RT
Grow to replace Okung at LT (who has a $16mm cap hit in ’19 and ’20)

4. Rashaad Penny, RB, SDSU
Great vision, balance and power
Good speed and feet
Competition for MGIII who has been lackluster in his return from injury this year
Gives us a 1a and 1b at RB, focus on running game and controlling clock

5. Folorunso Fatukasi, NT, UConn
Big, long arms, very stout at point of attack
Good run defender
Groom to replace Mebane in ‘19

6, 7, UDFA: High upside / value picks at other areas of need.

I think if we do something along these lines we will (1) Improve our run defense that is currently ranked 31st and (2) Improve our rushing offense that is currently ranked 26th. We are in a good position cap-wise, so we can use this offseason to add a few key missing pieces, a few players to groom for the future, and in general be a very dangerous, balanced team for 2018.
4. Shaquem Griffin, LB
5. Poona Ford, DT
6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB
7. Trey Quinn, WR

UDFA. CB Grant Haley, S Troy Apke, OT Korey Cunningham, DE Mike Love

"Penetration is needed" - Woodeye via TT
Old 12-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
[B]

Hey I AM. Thanks for posting your thoughts. Let me try to respond... keeping in mind that I know no more than anyone else... and am often wrong.

Hurst will be a good starter for someone. But not a dominant force (like an Aaron Donald). Truth be revealed, I didn't think Donald was going to be as good as he turned out to be. I understand that you are working with the understanding that we should be picking in the mid-20's. Hurst will probably be comparable to Malcom Brown (who I liked a lot). I think we need OL help more than DL help. And DL FA help may be available this off-season.

IMO, TJ Edwards has speed issues. His instincts are great. He may end up being the Eric Weddle of LB's... a guy that plays faster than he times. But I have reservations about taking him in the 2nd round. This is a deep class of LB's. I think the 2nd round is prime for picking a LB (due to deep class) I just prefer a LB with better speed. He actually reminds me of Perryman (a thumper with speed issues). He does seem to have better coverage instincts than Perryman... the LB class is so stacked, we may be able to get a good LB in the 3rd round. I actually think that's where TJ goes.

While re-watching Tyrel Crosby, he was better than I remember. He has pretty good feet in pass pro and generates decent push in the run game. But, as I stated earlier, I really want to get a great OT for this below-average OL. Not just to replace Barksdale (a personal crusade of mine for the last 2 years) but to potentially replace Okung at LT in a year or so. I don't have faith that Crosby is that guy. I think the speed of the NFL would overwhelm him.

Rashaad Penny may be the most under-appreciated prospect in this year's draft. I wouldn't be surprised if an NFL caliber scout recognized his value and picked him before the 4th round. The thing working against him (other than his under-exposure playing for SDSU) is the fact that the RB position is pretty deep this year. I'd be very happy with Penny in the 4th round.

I haven't watched much of Fatukasi. Like I said earlier, I'd prefer getting a DT in FA. I don't think Fatukasi would be an upgrade over Philon or Square... guys that have developed nicely.

Thanks for posting these players. I've enjoyed looking further into players that I missed before. We still have bowl games, Combine, and Senior Bowl to gather more info on these guys.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Hall of Famer

I've updated my original mock now that it appears that we'll be drafting further back. I'll post it here, too.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Time to change things up. We've turned the corner since I posted my original mock. For this mock, I'm going to draft as if we made the playoffs. I'll mock out of the #20 spot.

1. OT Andre Dillard. Williams and McGlinchey will probably be gone at this spot. You could get a center at this spot, but I'm getting my center in the 2nd round. Dillard has very good feet and has great technique. He'll need to get stronger to anchor, but he's got better feet than Williams or McGlinchey and would fit what Lynn eventually wants his OT's to do... beat the defender to the spot, seal, get to the 2nd level.

2. Center Frank Ragnow. Like Dillard, he's got very good feet. But I also like his strength. He pulls well, gets to the spot before his defender, and holds his blocks well. Can climb to the 2nd level. Price is more straight ahead powerful, but Ragnow has the mobility.

3. OLB/ILB Tremaine Edmunds. Some may think that he won't last until this pick. But this class of LB's are deep. I could list 7 or 8 other LB's that I also like. Edmunds has played all over the place for Virginia Tech. His numbers have suffered because of that. But he's good at everything. Sure tackler, good in coverage, and good instincts. I like the fact that he can play ILB in case injury sneaks up on Perryman again.

4. CB Adonis Alexander. Trevor Williams will have to be re-signed at the end of this season. Casey Hayward will have to be re-signed after 2018. JV will be gone. He should be traded for a draft pick. Then use that extra $8 million to resign Williams. Better draft a CB for depth and development. Alexander looks like a Gusly guy. Versatile defender and strong tackler. Physical and smart.

5. RB Akrum Wadley. A versatile RB with quick moves and burst. Good receiver out of the backfield. Needs to add weight but has the frame to do it. Depth at RB is needed. Brandon Oliver and Andre Williams should be upgraded... both are FA's.

6. ILB/OLB Fred Warner. Very good in coverage. Could come in during passing situations for Perryman. Got lost in the misery that was BYU this year.

7. RB Jarvion Franklin. Franklin is a short yardage powerhouse with enough speed and wiggle to be a good backup RB. Would give us 4 RB's with different sizes and skills.

7. BPA @ safety, guard, or WR. Kyzir, Pierschbacher, or Boyd.

Most want a DT in the draft. This would be the position I would pursue in FA.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Intro:
We have various key pieces and elite quality players, but it’s insufficient to play complementary football. Elite edge rushers and CB, but lackluster interior defense (vs run and pass). Elite QB and good weapons, but horrible running game (both OL and RB). To win a championship we need to focus on complementary football, otherwise opponents can scheme around our strengths.

Focus:
+ Defensive interior players that can win 1-1 matchups (since opponent will double Bosa and/or Ingram)
+ Control the clock… good running game offensively and stopping the run defensively
+ Take pressure off Rivers with a great defense and running game

Assumptions:
+ Lamp returns healthy to play RG
+ Concentrate Free Agency spending on brining in the best interior OL available (I prefer this to drafting, PR is entering the final stage of a HOF career, I want to give him a vet at C who can make line calls and be the leader of the group)
+ Sign vet K and P in FA to fix our ST woes. No more going cheap on ST, we’ve got the cap space.

Explosive, undersized DT reminiscent of Donald/Atkins/Jarrett
Highest rated player in CFB per PFF (best I can tell) at 96.9
Excellent run defender and pass rusher
Highly disruptive in the backfield, would be an excellent complement to Bosa/Ingram
Not sure if he lasts until our pick, he’s a player I would trade up for if needed

Mr. Consistent, hasn’t missed a game at Wisconsin that I can tell
Highly productive in 3 years: 250 Tackles, 26 TFL, 7 Ints, 13 Pass Def
3-Down LB, equally skilled vs run and pass
Athletic ability to play sideline to sideline

Big bodied, athletic OT with good feet
Good run blocker and in pass pro
Day 1 competition (hopefully starter) at RT
Grow to replace Okung at LT (who has a $16mm cap hit in ’19 and ’20)

Great vision, balance and power
Good speed and feet
Competition for MGIII who has been lackluster in his return from injury this year
Gives us a 1a and 1b at RB, focus on running game and controlling clock

Big, long arms, very stout at point of attack
Good run defender
Groom to replace Mebane in ‘19

I think if we do something along these lines we will (1) Improve our run defense that is currently ranked 31st and (2) Improve our rushing offense that is currently ranked 26th. We are in a good position cap-wise, so we can use this offseason to add a few key missing pieces, a few players to groom for the future, and in general be a very dangerous, balanced team for 2018.
I could see Rashad Penny going much earlier. Depending on his combine numbers, he could be a 2nd or even 1st rounder. The kid is pretty amazing and has a runningback body unlike his predecessors at SDSU.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
I could see Rashad Penny going much earlier. Depending on his combine numbers, he could be a 2nd or even 1st rounder. The kid is pretty amazing and has a runningback body unlike his predecessors at SDSU.
1st would surprise me, 2nd wouldn’t. I agree He’s good, it’s just hard to isolate his success outside of the running system at SDSU. Lots of offseason to go so we’ll see.

I’m not married to Penny in the 4th there. The reason I chose him is that I think we’ll have some quality RB options there, even if he is off the board.
4. Shaquem Griffin, LB
5. Poona Ford, DT
7. Trey Quinn, WR

Old 12-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Mo’ Hurts

@Boltnut, will reply when I have more time to explain the rationale. Haven’t spent time on Dillard yet but generally I like your mock.
4. Shaquem Griffin, LB
5. Poona Ford, DT
7. Trey Quinn, WR

Old 12-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
1st would surprise me, 2nd wouldn’t. I agree He’s good, it’s just hard to isolate his success outside of the running system at SDSU. Lots of offseason to go so we’ll see.

I’m not married to Penny in the 4th there. The reason I chose him is that I think we’ll have some quality RB options there, even if he is off the board.
I would jump with joy if we somehow got Penny in the 4th.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 12-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Mojo Is Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
I would jump with joy if we somehow got Penny in the 4th.
same here.
i pegged him as a first/second rounder
looks to me like he can be a featured back
we'll see.

thirty33three