Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En EspaŮol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
Those are also PONs for us though too... right?. I do like the idea of trading down if the three impact D players I see are off the board: James, Edmunds and Evans.
Mid rounders on the glutton Big Board will be there at BUF's 3 & 4 we obtain to move down five spots in round one.

Depth would be a beautiful thing.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Would you consider Roquan ?
no, i think Roquan is definitely below Edmunds. I also havent watched enough SF's game to see what kind of fit but Edmunds is easily a top 10 talent. Nelson would be good protection for their newly minted $126 millions QB also.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
That's because they are first round prospects.

I really don't get the love for the top LBs. I like Evans, and Edmunds, but not as high 1st rounders...

I'll take Hurst or Bryan, maybe even Phillips, above pretty much any LB in this class... certainly before Edmunds and Evans.
I get the allure for Hurst. He can be disruptive and quick. But Bryan is like a human rubber bullet. Shoots out of the chamber with a bang... but then sticks on whatever he hits without breaking through. His production numbers are low. Phillips doesn't jump off the screen, but his production numbers are impressive. In the end, all 3 of these guys can disappear at times. They all seem to be 3-techs. IMO, Luiget and Philon are above average id rotated properly. It's the 1-tech position I'm worried about.

Meanwhile, I see Edmunds and Jefferson as LB's I'd put ahead of Hurst, Bryan, and Phillips. Both players are so versatile and physically talented. They could serve multiple purposes.

My 1st round cluster would look like this... Connor Williams, Orlando Brown, Mike McGlinchey, Tremaine Edmunds, Malik Jefferson, Vita Vea.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Moí Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
I get the allure for Hurst. He can be disruptive and quick. But Bryan is like a human rubber bullet. Shoots out of the chamber with a bang... but then sticks on whatever he hits without breaking through. His production numbers are low. Phillips doesn't jump off the screen, but his production numbers are impressive. In the end, all 3 of these guys can disappear at times. They all seem to be 3-techs. IMO, Luiget and Philon are above average id rotated properly. It's the 1-tech position I'm worried about.

Meanwhile, I see Edmunds and Jefferson as LB's I'd put ahead of Hurst, Bryan, and Phillips. Both players are so versatile and physically talented. They could serve multiple purposes.

My 1st round cluster would look like this... Connor Williams, Orlando Brown, Mike McGlinchey, Tremaine Edmunds, Malik Jefferson, Vita Vea.
Bryan is definitely a different kind of player, heís a stack and shed guy, not a typical 3 Tech gap penetrator. He does a great job of resetting the LOS and he plays with excellent leverage, and very rarely loses at the point of contact. People draw the comparison to Watt, but he reminds me of a raw DeForest Buckner.

While he is totally different from Hurst, he does have a lot of appeal in my eyes. Bryan and Bosa next to each other would just be unfair for opposing offenses, and that gets me excited.

I agree 1 tech needs to be addresses immediately, but Liuget needs to be replaced long term, and the sooner we can get out from his contract the better since over the next 2 years we have 5 pro bowl caliber players becoming FAs.
4. Shaquem Griffin, LB
5. Poona Ford, DT
6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB
7. Trey Quinn, WR

UDFA. CB Grant Haley, S Troy Apke, OT Korey Cunningham, DE Mike Love

"Penetration is needed" - Woodeye via TT
Old 02-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
Bryan is definitely a different kind of player, heís a stack and shed guy, not a typical 3 Tech gap penetrator. He does a great job of resetting the LOS and he plays with excellent leverage, and very rarely loses at the point of contact. People draw the comparison to Watt, but he reminds me of a raw DeForest Buckner.

While he is totally different from Hurst, he does have a lot of appeal in my eyes. Bryan and Bosa next to each other would just be unfair for opposing offenses, and that gets me excited.

I agree 1 tech needs to be addresses immediately, but Liuget needs to be replaced long term, and the sooner we can get out from his contract the better since over the next 2 years we have 5 pro bowl caliber players becoming FAs.
In no way does Bryan look like Watt or Buckner. And I don't think he sheds very well at all. Seems to me he gets little separation once guys get their hands on him... it's my biggest concern about him. Gets a great jump off the snap, but does little after that IMO. Maybe I haven't seen him at his best... sure would like to be pointed in the right direction if you can suggest a game to watch of his.

I agree that Luiget is being over-paid. But he's decent player (average to above average). But pretty sure his contract is up after next year. I think Philon has shown good progress. Neither is great. But I see bigger needs on this team. Wouldn't mind looking at 3-techniques next draft, though.

Chargers have $33 million in cap space should they want to make a splash in FA. They could save more by waiving Mebane and Barksdale if it's more cap space they want. Both of those players need to be replaced anyways. If I'm cutting guys, make them guys that are below-average...
Old 02-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Heartbroken Fan Each Week

I just realized that after the Fluker pick, TT drafts guys who are/ can be game changers. Take that as you will but I donít think that TT will draft an OL player or even an interior DL player unless heís a cant miss player. I feel that heíll take a player who can make game changing plays and that includes an ILB with elite to excellent athleticism or a safety. Seeing as how I only see three options on the table; Rashaan Evans, Tremaine Edwards, or Derwin James. I will say this right now. If Derwin James falls out of the top 10 - 12, if the price is right, say goodbye to our 4th and say hello to Derwin James as out new stud in the secondary. I dont think We will need to trade up for Evans. He should be there hopefully. As for Edmunds, I could see us taking him but I doubt that he falls to 17. DErwin James is my pick guys. Iím calling it right now!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardCharge View Post
I just realized that after the Fluker pick, TT drafts guys who are/ can be game changers. Take that as you will but I donít think that TT will draft an OL player or even an interior DL player unless heís a cant miss player. I feel that heíll take a player who can make game changing plays and that includes an ILB with elite to excellent athleticism or a safety. Seeing as how I only see three options on the table; Rashaan Evans, Tremaine Edwards, or Derwin James. I will say this right now. If Derwin James falls out of the top 10 - 12, if the price is right, say goodbye to our 4th and say hello to Derwin James as out new stud in the secondary. I dont think We will need to trade up for Evans. He should be there hopefully. As for Edmunds, I could see us taking him but I doubt that he falls to 17. DErwin James is my pick guys. Iím calling it right now!
AL (and Pat Meyer) will want Price and will lobby heavily for him.

The normal TT draft narrative is thrown out the window.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:59 AM
Hall of Famer

As has been nicely discussed in this thread, there are three or four approaches TT can take.... Will make this draft very exciting... The key, regardless of approach takrn, is to not miss with these first two picks and get studs...

Go Chargers...
Old 02-13-2018, 06:36 AM
Hall of Famer

ChargerTrader is still in the vault.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardCharge View Post
I don't think either James or Edmunds will be there at #17. Evans is the one we pick.