I ran out of Chill Pills 18 39.13%
Ok. who let gooey out 6 13.04%
bacon and waffles. thats on my mind 14 30.43%
TPVG is back!!! 6 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 PM
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

See CTom you're in the perfect situation to be as healthy as you can really. You pretty much know where all your food is coming from so you don't need to worry about labels or how they've been produced.

But as you would know majority of the people who live in the city can't live that way. It's just not possible. At least here in Australia you can't move out of a city cause there's nothing outside of them so you have to live in the city.

To add to your raisins twinkies comparison. It's also strange how it's cheaper for us to buy imported fruit and veggies than Aussie grown veggies. It comes from the other side of the world and is cheaper. Probably because they have less regulations in those countries with what chemicals they can use and end up producing more at a cheaper price than what the Aussie farmers producing healthier vegetables can afford.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Free Chilly

CT I was listening to a podcast the other day and it said something like the US alone spends about 60 billion on weight loss products. Which is RIDICULOUS! So I agree with you on how it all revolves around money.

Also Moe hit the nail on the head with the whole organic thing. Saved me some typing haha.

If we as a whole ate more like they did in the early 1900s we'd be a way healthier civilization. I believe it was after WW1 during the food shortages is when everything started to become mass produced. We feed our cows corn and all sorts of other stuff to reduce cost and make it more efficient. In the end we are what we eat, and we are what we eat ate..

That's why I bought into a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). I buy my meat from a farm that lets their cows roam free, and they're not fed anything unnatural to their regular diet. No hormones no nothing. I plan to start buying all my vegetables from a local farmers market too. Like everyone has said, it will cost more but living longer and staying healthy is definitely worth the cost. Specially when it comes to my daughter.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Free Chilly

Man, Sunday night always kills me. It's 11:50 and not even that tired. Gotta wake up in 6 hours though.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Chelu View Post
Man, Sunday night always kills me. It's 11:50 and not even that tired. Gotta wake up in 6 hours though.
Public Holiday for me. Was Australia day yesterday.

Always laugh at the "invasion day" posts which it brings about. Seriously annoys me so much. People can go live in England if they feel that strongly about it but they don't.

Hate when people don't appreciate how great this country is and how unbelievably lucky we are/were to be born here or have moved here at some point.

If England didn't come here 200 odd years ago we'd still be in England... who wants to be in England haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM

SO EXCITED when I saw you guys were talking about this stuff. I've written papers on more or less this exact topic for the past 4 years. Really interesting stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Every time I see "100% Organic" and "Free Range" labels, I laugh out loud.
Yeah, you have to be really careful about that stuff. Best bet is to buy from a farmers market or something. Apparently the regulations on what "free range" is makes this not mean much anymore, although that's a heck of a lot better than "cage free," which can literally mean that in a chicken coop of about 2,000 chickens, there's a small doggy door with access to a 4 sq. ft. space, and that would be considered cage free.

100% organic on the other hand, that's so far pretty tightly regulated. If it just says "organic," it only has to be a certain (low) percentage organic. Food corporations like Tyson et al are working really hard to lower the limits of what it means to be organic, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
That's not necessarily true. People are living longer. I think the processed food has and is though affecting how healthy people actually are. In fact, I think cancer is one of the results. I expect as more people eat healthier, we will see a lot less health issues and as a result life expectancy increasing over the current generation.
Processed foods are THE WORST. This is one of the things I'm most passionate about. *pops some Orville Redenbacher's popcorn*

I've gotten so much better about this, but I think in general, where we are as a society right now, almost everything you eat is at least somewhat processed. Food processing is so bad for you, the preservatives, sugars, salts, glues and fats they add to everything is so awful for your system. Cancer is a huge risk with processed foods. The packaging can also be really dangerous. Plastics especially. The xenestrogens those give off are literally killer. I refuse to heat anything in plastic, the things that get leeched out in the process is disturbing. *drinks from a plastic water bottle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
I agree completely with this.

A box of Twinkies is $2. A box of raisins is $3. Something doesn't make sense here.

Bread is the one thing I wish we made more of at home. My wife makes great breads and pie crust, and cakes ... but like you said, she doesn't have enough time to do it every day.
Yessss, it's the government subsidizing certain industries. Food in the US is artificially lower in the US than anywhere else, not because we're the breadbasket of the world or whatever, but because the government has so heavily subsidized so many food corps that we just think we're paying less, while we're actually paying in taxes anyway. Sugar is a huge one of these industries that the government supports. The US has I think 2/3 sugar producers. Think about that. Two or three corporations providing to 300 million Americans, plus what we export. They lobby really heavily to ensure that they stay the only 2/3.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshie4 View Post
Hate when people don't appreciate how great this country is and how unbelievably lucky we are/were to be born here or have moved here at some point.

If England didn't come here 200 odd years ago we'd still be in England... who wants to be in England haha
V. confused because this post is obviously about America.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

I just had some cage-free ice cream, with free range chocolate syrup on it. Ate it out of a plastic bowl, too.

That's it for me. Monday is peeking around the corner, and it doesn't look amused.

Hasta manana, Charger fans.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Chelu View Post
If we as a whole ate more like they did in the early 1900s we'd be a way healthier civilization. I believe it was after WW1 during the food shortages is when everything started to become mass produced. We feed our cows corn and all sorts of other stuff to reduce cost and make it more efficient. In the end we are what we eat, and we are what we eat ate..

That's why I bought into a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). I buy my meat from a farm that lets their cows roam free, and they're not fed anything unnatural to their regular diet. No hormones no nothing. I plan to start buying all my vegetables from a local farmers market too. Like everyone has said, it will cost more but living longer and staying healthy is definitely worth the cost. Specially when it comes to my daughter.
Taking a turn here, time to put on my business major cap.

Agreed about the early 1900s eating habits. Mass production, though, I wouldn't say is inherently evil when it comes to food stuffs. If you think about it, mass prod. is a necessary commodity. Part of the reason the United States is such an economic powerhouse is because we've been able to specialize. If you have chicken people and beef people and egg people and milk people and grain people having to work en masse in each city in the US, productivity overall would crash. Smaller cities like Colorado Springs or Cheyenne would be at an insane competitive disadvantage to bigger regional cities like Denver and Albuquerque. Not to mention cities like Phoenix not even being able to exist because the sheer size compared to the resources available is laughable (and completely unsustainable, and every time I think about PHX and Vegas existing I get a little angry - different topic for a different day).

The necessary fix to this is to be able to Chipotle-ize America. Chipotle is a HUGE national chain, I'm sure most people on here have eaten there at least once, it's good and good for you. Probably unreasonable to think that everything could be locally sourced nation-wide, because people in the midwest would starve in the winter and people in Arizona would not be able to exist. What we need to do as a country is just embrace the idea of smaller chicken breasts that aren't hormone loaded, accept that we might have to do without spinach for while if that means we don't spray pesticides all over everything, and so on.

I'm not great at being a healthy eater, but I really do try. I actually read nutrition labels, sugar being my primary concern in everything, sodium a close second. I rarely eat anything pre-prepared because of preservatives, and despite the fact that potato chips have been pretty much my staple food for the past 22 years (or however long since you can eat solid food), I really haven't had any at all in months. Some occasionally, sure, but in general no. Almost never drink soda (I have some Coke Zeros sitting in my fridge that have been there for months). Probably my biggest crutch is ice cream but I really don't even eat that very often.

I think in general, you can kind of eat whatever you feel like so long as you understand what you're eating and really try to limit yourself if you're being excessive, and it's really easy to be excessive. I definitely don't deprive myself of anything, I just try to be really smart about what I do eat.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:51 PM

Ignore that these are Chipotle ads (I'd kill to be on their marketing team) and this pretty much sums up what y'all have been talking about.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:56 PM
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

I don't think Americans realise how cheap stuff is for them compared to the rest of the world.

Quick google showed that petrol is around 3.50 a gallon in San Diego. It's about 5.50 here in Sydney.

Closed Thread