Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2018, 12:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Default Rivers said to be working on the small things

At your age, you may be working on those small things. Like, not going for a first down on a busted play, and running fat smack dab into an opposing linebacker who takes the ball away from you and returns it for a TD.

Yes, I'd work on those small things.

I predict that in a game this season, Rivers will try and run for important yardage and run smack dab into an opposing defensive player who will get the ball away from Rivers and run for a TD.

The small things Rivers, the small things. Concentrate on that. Dig?

What other "small things" might Rivers tell himself to get better at, after his many years in the NFL?

Temper? Wasting timeouts? Being it all? Running with the football and whoops?

The little things, Rivers, the little things. You can't run worth a damn, don't even try to. Leave that up to your successor.

Last edited by Caslon; 04-27-2018 at 03:01 AM..
Old 04-28-2018, 12:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
At your age, you may be working on those small things. Like, not going for a first down on a busted play, and running fat smack dab into an opposing linebacker who takes the ball away from you and returns it for a TD.

I predict that in a game this season, Rivers will try and run for important yardage and run smack dab into an opposing defensive player who will get the ball away from Rivers and run for a TD.

What other "small things" might Rivers tell himself to get better at, after his many years in the NFL?

The little things, Rivers, the little things. You can't run worth a damn, don't even try to. Leave that up to your successor.
pointing fingers with every negative play is not good for team morale. work on it #17.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Constructive criticism Phillip. We love ya you know that.
- Sell your play action more. Peyton Manning is into the details. I remember him talking to kids during his QB camps on how to sell your hand offs to the running back. Rivers is half hearted which defenders can't bite.
- Screens or short passes get tipped often. Every game has defenders close to the line of scrimmage with their hands up. Probably coached up on this but they seem to have it more with Rivers. Change the trajectory and touch to adjust easier said than done.
- Poise...under pressure especially. You are who you are if Rivers can be composed in moments of stress in games the better. He is a competitor maybe he can't help getting on teammates. Depends on how you perceive it. It's a fine line of being demanding and being calm. If Rivers can manage himself in times of duress, this could be the difference in making winning plays. Stay calm. Make plays.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:

After shoring up the oline with improved interior linemen he'll have little to complain about this season. When it's 3rd and 3 sometimes you have to run for a first down. when it's 3rd and 15 you just throw it out of bounds.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Okay, granted. With improved time will come what Rivers was used to in the past...not having to scramble so many plays and toss the ball into the dirt so many times. Tossing the ball away so much is partially the reason for Rivers better than average stat at something, I forget that stat.

Rivers in his past certainly enjoyed it more when he had another good second and a half to throw or step up into the pocket and throw. 8 years ago?

Last edited by Caslon; 04-28-2018 at 11:09 PM..
Old 05-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Okay, granted. With improved time will come what Rivers was used to in the past...not having to scramble so many plays and toss the ball into the dirt so many times. Tossing the ball away so much is partially the reason for Rivers better than average stat at something, I forget that stat.

Rivers in his past certainly enjoyed it more when he had another good second and a half to throw or step up into the pocket and throw. 8 years ago?
The 2010 season? That was when he had guys like Marcus Mcneil and Kris Dielman.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
pointing fingers with every negative play is not good for team morale. work on it #17.

The irony of this post is restaurant quality.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:

Warner was always criticized for not throwing it away more. He would take the sack and lose the yardage when he couldn't find an open receiver. Some cynically claimed he did this to protect his completion percentage.

Warner is in the HOF.

Rivers is criticized for throwing it away when he can't find an open receiver. Seems like this is the preferred option over losing sack yardage and a possible strip sack.

Rivers will also be in the HOF.

So any criticism of Rivers needs to be tempered by the fact that he has had a stellar career, both on the field and off. That said, here are my suggestions for trying to teach an old dog new tricks:

1 - play-action fake hand-offs, especially from shotgun, aren't fooling anyone as has already been mentioned. Actual hand-offs from shotgun are equally predictable.

2 - I love the chess match at the LOS but need to manage the play clock better.

3 - continue to keep picks down. Don't try to make a play if none is there. An improved defense should help with this mentality.

4 - be better in the clutch as many have observed. He's not as bad as some might suggest but it is an area of improvement.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm thoroughly flabbergasted that this thread does not yet mention a wide receiver screen.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthommes View Post
I'm thoroughly flabbergasted that this thread does not yet mention a wide receiver screen.
Plays featuring the TE are the current focus.......