Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 09:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
In the first 4 rounds, yes, but not ALL:

Round 5: Q-Berry, OL
Round 6: Cantrell, WR
Round 7: Jackson, RB
I was responding to your post about 2017 🤷🏽*♂️
Old Today, 09:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
After analyzing it after 10 days and for a time thinking the Chargers are entirely out-classed as an organization by the Patriots, I believe, in my mind anyway, the answers to what went wrong are pretty simple, and correctable with the core roster we have now.

First, Belichick and his coaching staff are superior schemers and game plan designers. The best in the league. But, they also have players who can execute their schemes. NE's roster isn't loaded with superior talent. But it's good talent that is able to execute Belichick & Co's schemes.

Secondly, and this is where the Chargers lost the game, NE is superior in the trenches, at least against the Chargers. NE's OL protects Brady extremely well. Has he been sacked once in two post-season games? Also, against the Chargers, NE's DL manhandled the our OL, while their OL manhandled our DL. Ingram and Bosa were useless off the edge. NE had an answer for that. The way to slow down Brady is to pressure him up the middle. Our DL didn't come close. Yet, NE's DL was able to wreak havoc on the pocket protecting Rivers all day.

My conclusion is that the Chargers have enough skill position talent to win it all, but we are still weak in the trenches, and that is what TT and Baby Spanos have to fix. I would advocate spending our entire FA and draft resource building up the OL and the interior DL. Trade up in the draft for the right player(s), if necessary, even if it means trading future picks. The window is not going to be open much longer with this current roster.
Agree the trenches are important, and would like so see at least one big FA signing for both O and D lines. Cheatriots also have corners who can press cover...and we don't (unless you want to count the injured Verrett). This is ANOTHER part of the Pats success...
3. Charles Omenihu, DT, Texas
4. T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old Today, 10:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
After analyzing it after 10 days and for a time thinking the Chargers are entirely out-classed as an organization by the Patriots, I believe, in my mind anyway, the answers to what went wrong are pretty simple, and correctable with the core roster we have now.

First, Belichick and his coaching staff are superior schemers and game plan designers. The best in the league. But, they also have players who can execute their schemes. NE's roster isn't loaded with superior talent. But it's good talent that is able to execute Belichick & Co's schemes.

Secondly, and this is where the Chargers lost the game, NE is superior in the trenches, at least against the Chargers. NE's OL protects Brady extremely well. Has he been sacked once in two post-season games? Also, against the Chargers, NE's DL manhandled the our OL, while their OL manhandled our DL. Ingram and Bosa were useless off the edge. NE had an answer for that. The way to slow down Brady is to pressure him up the middle. Our DL didn't come close. Yet, NE's DL was able to wreak havoc on the pocket protecting Rivers all day.

My conclusion is that the Chargers have enough skill position talent to win it all, but we are still weak in the trenches, and that is what TT and Baby Spanos have to fix. I would advocate spending our entire FA and draft resource building up the OL and the interior DL. Trade up in the draft for the right player(s), if necessary, even if it means trading future picks. The window is not going to be open much longer with this current roster.
Pats have a long term vet coaching staff and a vet roster who know their roles very well. Definitely a part of it. On offense they had 1 new guy that played a significant role, vet OT Brown, T from SF and rookie RB Michel. Newest guy on D, 2nd yr DE Wise.

LAC had a 2nd yr coaching staff and basically a new OL, only LT Okung started game 1 in
2017 at his position for the Chargers. On D Rookies DL Jones, LB Nwosu, S James played significant snaps and our depth was used extensively due to LBs and DBs who were not available.

Nor hard to figure why the vet multi-SB winning team looked better in our postseason contest with them. I'd move forward with who we have. LAC had some great wins vs top teams in '18. Keep our core together, they had a hell of a year.
The primary difference between the Pats & LAC is execution. (That and LBs in that 1 game)
I'd get a top FA MLB. Watching the Pats drive for TDs every possession in the 1st half ? Obviously not acceptable. We also need a better FS.
Old Today, 11:40 AM
I be humbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Pats have a long term vet coaching staff and a vet roster who know their roles very well. Definitely a part of it. On offense they had 1 new guy that played a significant role, vet OT Brown, T from SF and rookie RB Michel. Newest guy on D, 2nd yr DE Wise.

LAC had a 2nd yr coaching staff and basically a new OL, only LT Okung started game 1 in
2017 at his position for the Chargers. On D Rookies DL Jones, LB Nwosu, S James played significant snaps and our depth was used extensively due to LBs and DBs who were not available.

Nor hard to figure why the vet multi-SB winning team looked better in our postseason contest with them. I'd move forward with who we have. LAC had some great wins vs top teams in '18. Keep our core together, they had a hell of a year.
The primary difference between the Pats & LAC is execution. (That and LBs in that 1 game)
I'd get a top FA MLB. Watching the Pats drive for TDs every possession in the 1st half ? Obviously not acceptable. We also need a better FS.
This would be radical and controversial, but what about trading up, whatever it takes, to acquire DT Quinnen Williams and OT Jawaan Taylor. I mean trade our entire draft and future picks just to get these two players. With players such as Henry, Brown, White, Perryman (possibly) and Verrett (possibly) returning, the team could be even better in 2019, and two dominant players in the trenches on either side of the ball could be difference-maker.