Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWest View Post
The NFL is allowing teams to jump around cities left and right now, one more is insignificant. If this league actually was concerned with fans, most relocations, if any, would probably not transpire.

Staying in Oakland will only have those fans in denial of a move, hoping against hope that it will not come to pass, like the San Diego fans the last couple of years. I can imagine towards late in a last season that it would get ugly, with the team leaving for a second time.
I bet if you tell Oakland fans that the team is moving to Vegas in 2019 and ask Them whether they would rather have the team in Oakland for the next 2 years or in Vegas, they'd choose Oakland in a heartbeat
Old 03-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
I bet if you tell Oakland fans that the team is moving to Vegas in 2019 and ask Them whether they would rather have the team in Oakland for the next 2 years or in Vegas, they'd choose Oakland in a heartbeat
You're probably correct. If the Chargers were going to keep playing in San Diego for the 2017-2018 seasons before going to Inglewood, I would prefer that over them being in the SHC.

Not sure how San Diegans would feel about that, however.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Scott and BR posed a similar hypothetical question to it's listeners. If the Raiders were to move to Las Vegas and the Spanos family opted to return to San Diego, would you accept them back? If so, under what conditions.

Some fans called in and said yes on the condition that they do the following:
1) Apologize to it's fans. Acknowledge that they made an mistake and stop insulting their intelligence.
2) Have something in writing of a commitment to build a new stadium by a certain time/ date.
2) Others had the condition of selling the team under different ownership. Bye bye Spanos.

Others, said no. You made your decision to leave deal with it.

Bottomline the NFL makes a boatload of money. It's an essentially billion dollar company. Football is America's game...why can't the NFL extend a jumbo loan to owners to build a new home for these AFC teams? They will have these loans paid off eventually. In an ideal world, teams should stay where they belong. The business has taken precedence over the fans sad to say.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
Scott and BR posed a similar hypothetical question to it's listeners. If the Raiders were to move to Las Vegas and the Spanos family opted to return to San Diego, would you accept them back? If so, under what conditions.

1) Apologize to it's fans. Acknowledge that they made an mistake and stop insulting their intelligence.
2) Have something in writing of a commitment to build a new stadium by a certain time/ date.
2) Others had the condition of selling the team under different ownership. Bye bye Spanos.

Bottomline the NFL makes a boatload of money. It's an essentially billion dollar company. Football is America's game...why can't the NFL extend a jumbo loan to owners to build a new home for these AFC teams? They will have these loans paid off eventually. In an ideal world, teams should stay where they belong. The business has taken precedence over the fans sad to say.
Then they have to do it for all 32 owners, and that's not something that they will do when the vast majority of markets will provide substantial public subsidies towards building a stadium. To owners who have franchises in other cities, San Diego and Oakland are no more special than their franchise homes.

Spanos did plenty of things wrong, but right or wrong (depending on how one views public subsidies towards building stadiums), the Cities of SD and Oakland (and I'm mainly pointing my finger at politicians) dropped the ball continuously, unlike all of the other cities who have recently built new stadiums with the exception of SF and NY whose corporate base was enough to privately finance a stadium. The one exception was St. Louis which did put up substantial public money, but were spurned by an uber-billionaire who was hell bent to set up shop in the nation's 2nd biggest market.

Nobody is coming to San Diego unless there is a lot more public money proffered than it would have taken to keep the Chargers. That's how the NFL works, and I was sounding the warning bells a dozen years ago on this message board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post

I am not a regular 1090 listener (I listen to some clips online), but as an out-of-town fan, I'll weigh in. I would accept the Chargers back in San Diego in a nanosecond, with or without Spanos. It is the TEAM I care about, and all Bolt fans should keep that larger view. I want to see them back in the city that is their true home, and where they belong.

Just bring them back to San Diego, commit to stay, and build a new stadium. That is all I'd ask.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Spanos did plenty of things wrong, but right or wrong (depending on how one views public subsidies towards building stadiums), the Cities of SD and Oakland (and I'm mainly pointing my finger at politicians) dropped the ball continuously, unlike all of the other cities who have recently built new stadiums with the exception of SF and NY whose corporate base was enough to privately finance a stadium. The one exception was St. Louis which did put up substantial public money, but were spurned by an uber-billionaire who was hell bent to set up shop in the nation's 2nd biggest market.

Nobody is coming to San Diego unless there is a lot more public money proffered than it would have taken to keep the Chargers. That's how the NFL works, and I was sounding the warning bells a dozen years ago on this message board.
Very true about sharing the blame. But I still mostly place it ultimately on Spanos, especially given the repulsive way he has handled the exit from San Diego.

Agree on the public money part. San Diego is going to probably have to ante up significantly more than what was offered to the Chargers to either get them back at some point, get an expansion team, or if some other existing franchise is seeking to move.

This is why I don't see any way the Raiders go to SD.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:00 AM
Forever San Diego

The Clippers never came back and I doubt the Chargers ever will either, whats done is done. If/when Spanos sells the team and if I were the new owner, I wouldn't even sniff coming back to SD. As much as I want the Chargers to tank in LA, I don't see it happening.

Yes I'm in the "acceptance phase"

Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWest View Post
Very true about sharing the blame. But I still mostly place it ultimately on Spanos, especially given the repulsive way he has handled the exit from San Diego.

Agree on the public money part. San Diego is going to probably have to ante up significantly more than what was offered to the Chargers to either get them back at some point, get an expansion team, or if some other existing franchise is seeking to move.

This is why I don't see any way the Raiders go to SD.
San Diego will NEVER get an expansion team as long there isn't a new stadium being built.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaloner View Post
San Diego will NEVER get an expansion team as long there isn't a new stadium being built.
I realize that, which is why I wrote "San Diego is going to probably have to ante up significantly more", meaning hundreds of millions beyond the $250-$350m range of what they were offering the Chargers.

I believe a stadium can be constructed for less then the $1-$2 billion that seems the prevalent price tag these days. Every bell and whistle isn't necessary, and with more efficient planning, materials shopping, and construction, could stay within a $1 billion threshold.

Lucas Oil Stadium, opened in 2008, cost $720m, and has a dome. While it has been 9 years and costs have risen, it is conceivable that a very respectable NFL stadium could make it at around a billion or less.

It certainly can be done for much less than the $1.7-$2 billion figures more recently tossed out.

http://www.fromthisseat.com/index.ph...-cost-rankings
Old 03-21-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran

Update on the Raiders proposed move to Las Vegas. SF gate article dated March 21, 2017.

An NFL vote may take place next week. According to the article, the move being ratified is likely, though not definite.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article...=articlerecirc