Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres15 View Post
Sproles never should have got away. He was a stud and didn't break the bank.
Remind me ... how many teams has Sproles been on now?

Did they all whiff on a stud?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post

Fewer than Brett Favre.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

3, but only 2 teams let him go.

The difference between the Chargers and the Saints was that the Chargers let him go when he was what, 26? The Saints when he was closer to 30? (and got a draft pick for him. So the Chargers get rid of a good player in his prime and the Saints get a draft pick in return for a near 30 year old running back. Big difference.

Chargers should have tried to sign him and not tag him but anyways that is ancient history.

Last edited by r0j0; 03-21-2017 at 05:16 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 05:53 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0j0 View Post
3, but only 2 teams let him go.

The difference between the Chargers and the Saints was that the Chargers let him go when he was what, 26? The Saints when he was closer to 30? (and got a draft pick for him. So the Chargers get rid of a good player in his prime and the Saints get a draft pick in return for a near 30 year old running back. Big difference.

Chargers should have tried to sign him and not tag him but anyways that is ancient history.
The Chargers didn't "let him go".

They franchise tagged him once and the next year the Saints outbid the Chargers when Sproles was an unrestricted free agent. Just like Woodhead, the Chargers wanted him back but got outbid.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
The Chargers didn't "let him go".

They franchise tagged him once and the next year the Saints outbid the Chargers when Sproles was an unrestricted free agent. Just like Woodhead, the Chargers wanted him back but got outbid.
Wasn't it that they franchised tagged him one year, then placed a tender on him the next year and then he went to the Saints? Anyways, I get what you are saying, but in essence, they still did let him go. They didn't pay him what he wanted. If I remember correctly it wasn't like he was getting hugely overpaid with the Saints. Not sure what the Chargers offered him. Still doesn't change the fact that they should've just signed him to a new contract instead of tagging him.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter anymore
Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 AM
Forever San Diego

Quote:
Wasn't it that they franchised tagged him one year, then placed a tender on him the next year and then he went to the Saints? Anyways, I get what you are saying, but in essence, they still did let him go. They didn't pay him what he wanted. If I remember correctly it wasn't like he was getting hugely overpaid with the Saints. Not sure what the Chargers offered him. Still doesn't change the fact that they should've just signed him to a new contract instead of tagging him.

Its the Charger way...

Old 03-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Ocean Beach

Quote:

One fewer than Eric Dickerson and Reggie White..

I didn't realize accepting a larger contract elsewhere, or possibly playing in a city of preference was a reflection on a players talents on the field.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

yes, that's it. We paid him around $13mm for 2 seasons and then apparently offered him a pretty low contract going forward. Saints reportedly signed him for 4 years and $14mm.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:

They didn't place a "tender". In order to prevent Sproles from becoming an unrestricted free agent, the Chargers would have been forced to franchise tag on him again at a guaranteed one year payment that was 20% above the previous franchise tag dollar amount. Since the Chargers paid Sproles $6.6 million for the 2009 season, a franchise tag in 2010 would have been $7.3 million, amounting to $14 million over the course of two seasons.

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS — Four days after releasing LaDainian Tomlinson, the San Diego Chargers could be in the market for two running backs after notifying Darren Sproles on Friday that they will allow him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Sproles’ agent, Gary Wichard, said the Chargers will not tender the running back, which they could have in order to receive compensation should he sign elsewhere. Sproles has been a solid backup, an occasional starter and a dangerous return man. He should draw interest in a limited free-agent market.

This decision not to tender Sproles was mainly done for economic reasons. If the Chargers had done so, they would have had to pay him $7.3 million next season. Should Sproles get an offer now, the Chargers could try to counter but he doesn’t have to extend that courtesy if he wants to sign elsewhere.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/26/char...t-free-agency/
Sproles became an unrestricted free agent and the Saints outbid the Chargers for his services, paying him $14 million over 4 seasons.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 03-21-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
They didn't place a "tender". In order to prevent Sproles from becoming an unrestricted free agent, the Chargers would have been forced to franchise tag on him again at a guaranteed one year payment that was 20% above the previous franchise tag dollar amount. Since the Chargers paid Sproles $6.6 million for the 2009 season, a franchise tag in 2010 would have been $7.3 million, amounting to $14 million over the course of two seasons.

Sproles became an unrestricted free agent and the Saints outbid the Chargers for his services, paying him $14 million over 4 seasons.
They did place a "tender" on him for the 2010 season and they did pay him $7.3mm for 2010 or $14mm over 2 seasons.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4966109