Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
If Tuerk is any good I think we have to move Slauson back to G. We know he can play there and we need the help. Fluker and Franklin are paid a lot and producing a little. Tuerk playing well would help our line a lot.
Tuerk played more OG than C also but I'd just like to see our 3rd round pick on the field, likewise Slauson. Pulley, Tuerk & Slausen are OG/C's. I suspect Tuerk will be the best blocker at the 2nd level. I'm ambivalent about Franklin- quality run blocker, oft injured. Clark looks like a good young OG prospect. Fluker is not an OG. He had a good R season at RT and should either be started there or cut.
Barksdale is a cut IMO. I'd like to add good depth- decent talent with a chance to start at OT from FA or draft and am always hoping for that gem in the rough late. They're out there. Like most positions OL will be very interesting to keep an eye on. Personnel and training with HC Lynn and OL coach Meyer is going to be different, hopefully in a good way. The OL will have to succeed for Lynn to make his bones as an NFL HC and a running game proponent.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Tuerk played more OG than C also but I'd just like to see our 3rd round pick on the field, likewise Slauson. Pulley, Tuerk & Slausen are OG/C's. I suspect Tuerk will be the best blocker at the 2nd level. I'm ambivalent about Franklin- quality run blocker, oft injured. Clark looks like a good young OG prospect. Fluker is not an OG. He had a good R season at RT and should either be started there or cut.
Barksdale is a cut IMO. I'd like to add good depth- decent talent with a chance to start at OT from FA or draft and am always hoping for that gem in the rough late. They're out there. Like most positions OL will be very interesting to keep an eye on. Personnel and training with HC Lynn and OL coach Meyer is going to be different, hopefully in a good way. The OL will have to succeed for Lynn to make his bones as an NFL HC and a running game proponent.
As I didn't know that about Tuerk. Hopefully he works out somewhere, a wasted 3rd rounder is tough to swallow. We can't afford it right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
As I didn't know that about Tuerk. Hopefully he works out somewhere, a wasted 3rd rounder is tough to swallow. We can't afford it right now.
I wouldn't think too negative. Once the Bolts signed Slauson, the plan was to give Tuerk a "redshirt" season. It allowed him to heal 100% and get a year of getting stronger, going to meetings watching film etc. under his belt. No reason to think he will be a wasted 3rd rounder. Let's not forget that Slauson is only signed through this season so Tuerk could still be the center of the future. Although, I think the Bolts would be crazy not to extend Slauson.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
I wouldn't think too negative. Once the Bolts signed Slauson, the plan was to give Tuerk a "redshirt" season. It allowed him to heal 100% and get a year of getting stronger, going to meetings watching film etc. under his belt. No reason to think he will be a wasted 3rd rounder. Let's not forget that Slauson is only signed through this season so Tuerk could still be the center of the future. Although, I think the Bolts would be crazy not to extend Slauson.
Under the circumstances I don't think his lack of game time was unusual, but he's still a big question mark. I wish we were privy to how the Chargers feel about him, given the lack of quality interior linemen on the roster we desperately need someone to step up and Tuerk is the best candidate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
They didn't draft him, they recruited him as an undrafted free agent. They brought him in as a football player, first trying him out at DT, then moving him to the oline (the reverse of what happened in college) after they signed him to the practice squad.

That's what you sometimes try with developmental players who don't quite fit a mold. Cam Cameron knew that Dielman was a football player, and that's why the Chargers put time and effort into his development.

Can you count on it happening? Of course not, but "dumb luck" is not my description of his signing and development. In bringing in hard-nosed football players as undrafted free agents since the days of John Butler as GM, the Chargers success rate with them goes far beyond dumb luck being the common factor when it happens over and over again.
Define it however you like... it's not a strategy that will yield you a very good OL. We've had far less luck with late round picks and FA signings in regards to the OL. Most haven't panned out or have cost us a lot of money with no return.

Just seems like such a waste of talent (Rivers, Gordon, Allen, Henry, Benjamin) on offense if your plan is to draft a DT and hopefully turn him into a Pro Bowl caliber OG. Or draft injury prone guys in 3rd round, hoping they magically become the symbol of strength and endurance.

Fricking Nut-up and draft some good OL already... even if the media doesn't perceive them as the best "talent". It's what your WHOLE TEAM needs. It's what we are all waiting on. No more Franklin's... or Barksdale's... or Gaither's... Get-r-done!
Old 02-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Hall of Famer

In regards to Tuerk... he isn't a wasted pick (as long as he stays healthy) even if he is being used as a backup OC. We need depth badly! Injuries occur, and we'd be in a horrible position if Slausson went down, or retires, or can't be re-signed. Go get a starting OG and OT in this draft. Start cutting bloated salaries and start building quality depth along the OL. We're about 3 years behind in OL planning/drafting. The OL is ineffective and puts your defense back out on the field every 4th play of the game. Especially hurtful if your "talented" defense is not being protected in the 4th quarter when exhaustion sets in.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
In regards to Tuerk... he isn't a wasted pick (as long as he stays healthy) even if he is being used as a backup OC. We need depth badly! Injuries occur, and we'd be in a horrible position if Slausson went down, or retires, or can't be re-signed. Go get a starting OG and OT in this draft. Start cutting bloated salaries and start building quality depth along the OL. We're about 3 years behind in OL planning/drafting. The OL is ineffective and puts your defense back out on the field every 4th play of the game. Especially hurtful if your "talented" defense is not being protected in the 4th quarter when exhaustion sets in.
I hear what you are saying, but to be fair, the Bolts were 9th in the league in 3rd down efficiency. The problem was being able to close games out games by running the ball when it mattered. The team played pretty well for 3+ quarters, especially considering all the injuries. That is why I'm hopeful that Lynn's background in the running game and hopefully a better philosophy as a HC than McCoy will allow the Chargers to start winning games where they hold the lead going into the 4th quarter.

Better personnel is obviously needed, but I'm really, really hoping Lynn and the new O-line coach can bring out the best in the players we currently have, whether it is coaching, scheme or a combination of both. It would be such a big help if Tuerk could start at either center or guard. The Chargers can win with Dunlap and Franklin on the left side. I don't think they can win with Fluker and Barksdale on the right.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
I hear what you are saying, but to be fair, the Bolts were 9th in the league in 3rd down efficiency. The problem was being able to close games out games by running the ball when it mattered. The team played pretty well for 3+ quarters, especially considering all the injuries. That is why I'm hopeful that Lynn's background in the running game and hopefully a better philosophy as a HC than McCoy will allow the Chargers to start winning games where they hold the lead going into the 4th quarter.

Better personnel is obviously needed, but I'm really, really hoping Lynn and the new O-line coach can bring out the best in the players we currently have, whether it is coaching, scheme or a combination of both. It would be such a big help if Tuerk could start at either center or guard. The Chargers can win with Dunlap and Franklin on the left side. I don't think they can win with Fluker and Barksdale on the right.
Absolutely the biggest problem last year. If the Chargers closed those 7 or 8 games out last year, we were a playoff team. Lynn's philosophy may make the run-blocking better. But without depth along the OL, injuries are sure to doom us again. OL injuries were the excuse 2 years ago. Everyone claimed that OL health and Whisenhunt's return as OC would fix all of our problems in the run game... yet we let 7 or 8 wins slip through our fingers last year. The problem is talent. Specifically we have OL that are not very good run blockers. They never have been, probably never will be....
Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Hall of Famer

...and I can guarantee you we weren't 9th in 3rd down conversion in the 4th quarter...
Old 02-12-2017, 11:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
Lynn brings the impression that the Chargers will (try to) have an aggressive, consistent offensive ground game (as well as passing).
We obviously have a different coaching staff aside from Whisenhunt to help him reach that goal.
There seems to be a trend among the O coaches:

George Stewart, STs/Asst HC played OG with Ark, coached TE/OL and LBs in college, STs Pit, TB- STs/WRs 49ers, WRs Atl, Min.

Pat Meyer, OL played OL Colo St, Strength & Cond coach Memphis, NC St (Philip?), Fl St
OL/OC Colo St, CFL Alouettes, Bears OL, Bills operations consultant(?).

Alfredo Roberts,RBs, blocking TE played in 5 college Bowl games, blocking TE for KC, two Dal SB teams coached NFL TEs for Jax, Cle, TB, Indy worked with Lynn on some of those teams.

OC Whisenhunt was a blocking TE in NFL, coached STs, TEs, RBs at Vanderbilt, NFL TEs at Pit then on to OC Pit, HC Ari. OC SD, HC Ten, OC SDC/LAC.

I'm seeing a lot of guys who, along with HC Lynn know something about blocking. It's key to this season that they get their heads together regards what we want schematically, what we have personnel wise and what we need to do in FA & the draft. I don't want to 2nd guess them much at this point beyond the probability that the LAC OL is going to look a little different when we next see them play.
They'll draw a lot of interest on my part. I love a solid ground game, OL play.

Back to the bolded: The objective of all this talk about blocking, solid ground game - aside from the obvious goal of making & finishing drives is that the opponents D get gassed and our D gets a point cushion, limited snaps.