Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
the chargers will draft a back in the first 3 rounds unless they acquire one some other way, it's arguably their biggest need right now.
I think you vastly misjudge our needs if you have RB as high as RT, G, and S. I'd say LB too though I'm not sure which one yet. We have our workhorse, we're just looking for a guy to spell him, preferably a 3rd down guy that's functional enough on early downs to spell MG3. Maybe we take one in rounds 2 or 3 if it's a great value, but I don't see any way we take one in round 1 barring a big trade. Even then I'm very skeptical. I expect a RB to be drafted on day 3, then camp will sort the depth chart out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
the chargers will draft a back in the first 3 rounds unless they acquire one some other way, it's arguably their biggest need right now.
I don't see upgrading RB depth as a high priority. Gordon is the starter, the previous (to MGIII) Doak Walker winner Williams his backup and Farrow #3, Watt at FB. We'll add some RBs- maybe mid round, UDFA, FA and let them compete.
We'll go with 4-5 RB/FB at 53 man cut down, probably have @8 in camp.
Then again maybe TT has a RB he can't pass on. We'll see!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 PM
Destroy the opposition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
I think you vastly misjudge our needs if you have RB as high as RT, G, and S. I'd say LB too though I'm not sure which one yet. We have our workhorse, we're just looking for a guy to spell him, preferably a 3rd down guy that's functional enough on early downs to spell MG3. Maybe we take one in rounds 2 or 3 if it's a great value, but I don't see any way we take one in round 1 barring a big trade. Even then I'm very skeptical. I expect a RB to be drafted on day 3, then camp will sort the depth chart out.
and if gordon goes down like he has in both seasons so far? we have nobody and i mean nobody behind him. the chargers lost not one but two of their top 3 running backs and the only other backs they have currently are guys that probably don't make most teams 53 man roster.

waiting to draft a back in the later rounds would likely be a disaster for a team that's trying to get better at running the football.

the OL needs to get better but there is only so much Money and draft picks you can tie up there, especially in a weak OL draft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Destroy the opposition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
I don't see upgrading RB depth as a high priority. Gordon is the starter, the previous (to MGIII) Doak Walker winner Williams his backup and Farrow #3, Watt at FB. We'll add some RBs- maybe mid round, UDFA, FA and let them compete.
We'll go with 4-5 RB/FB at 53 man cut down, probably have @8 in camp.
Then again maybe TT has a RB he can't pass on. We'll see!
in other words, absolutely nobody behind gordon who has gotten injured and missed multiple games in both his NFL seasons.

the chargers would have downgraded big time at RB if they do what you guys are suggesting and this is a team trying to get better at running the football.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
and if gordon goes down like he has in both seasons so far? we have nobody and i mean nobody behind him. the chargers lost not one but two of their top 3 running backs and the only other backs they have currently are guys that probably don't make most teams 53 man roster.

waiting to draft a back in the later rounds would likely be a disaster for a team that's trying to get better at running the football.

the OL needs to get better but there is only so much Money and draft picks you can tie up there, especially in a weak OL draft.
How many positions is that true of? QB, WR, LT, C, G, RT, DE, S, K, P... To a lesser degree DT.... not to mention LBs... How questionable would be if JV went down again which would make CM (?) a starter? The point is we've got a good starter at RB, if we're drafting a backup in mind at 7 we're doing it wrong.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
How many positions is that true of? QB, WR, LT, C, G, RT, DE, S, K, P... To a lesser degree DT.... not to mention LBs... How questionable would be if JV went down again which would make CM (?) a starter? The point is we've got a good starter at RB, if we're drafting a backup in mind at 7 we're doing it wrong.
Not only s injury a concern at CB, but Jason Verrett's contract is up after this year, and Hayward's is up after 2018. CB is more of a need than most realize. Pair that with the fact that Flowers was waived and you can expect TT to be looking at a CB in this year's draft with a fairly high pick.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
Not only s injury a concern at CB, but Jason Verrett's contract is up after this year, and Hayward's is up after 2018. CB is more of a need than most realize. Pair that with the fact that Flowers was waived and you can expect TT to be looking at a CB in this year's draft with a fairly high pick.
This man has a point! Would be foolish to bank fully on Verrett making it through the whole year. We do need a big body CB if you ask me. I wouldn't going Safety round 1 then CB round 2 or 3.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
in other words, absolutely nobody behind gordon who has gotten injured and missed multiple games in both his NFL seasons.

the chargers would have downgraded big time at RB if they do what you guys are suggesting and this is a team trying to get better at running the football.
Which is a scary thought, being we just brought in a HC who is a RB coach and has already said he wants 2 RB's in his system who both have the right stuff, .... So if LF is still on the board at #7, you have to consider him, because MG was never considered a top 7 pick, and LF is for obvious reasons...
Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 AM
Destroy the opposition!

Quote:
yes but how many teams use only a one back system anymore? especially a team looking to run the football better with a starter that's been injured? the chargers had woodhead and oliver before and lost them both and now need a good second option, not a gamble on a 6th or 7th round pick that may or may not work out.

i'm also not saying we have to draft a back #7, i said in the first 3 rounds and i absolutely think there will be one drafted in the first 3 rounds.

if the chargers wait until the later rounds to take a running back it will be a mistake, that is what i am saying.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Default Thoughts on Nico Siragusa

He is perfectly slotted for us in round 4 and competition for Clark and Pulley at ORG.

With Buffalo starting Ritchie Incognito and John Miller at OG last year, and that combined with the way Lynn talks-plus his track record, it sure looks like we will be mostly Power in our blocking system.

Nico has great power, strength and short area quickness. He had excellent for position Combine numbers. There is great game tape.

The big negative is that Nico is slow out of his stance, and thus is susceptible to getting beat by pass rushing DTs.

What I am noticing is a hitch-a head bob at the snap on running plays, slowing Siragusa down and telegraphing. This habit can be coached out.

Emergency ORT too.

BPA/PON at 113.