Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Smack Shack
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where will the Donkeys finish this year?
Division Champs! 4 0.02%
Second 8 0.03%
Third 8 0.03%
Last place where they belong 6 0.02%
Who cares? We want free hot dogs! 24,915 99.90%
Voters: 24941. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 04:11 AM
<<< LA's finest football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
We still faced the fourth, second and first rated offenses in the playoffs and totally throttled them.
To clarify, the above rankings were for scoring offenses.

I'm actually glad you brought that up, because it just so happens that I have some data to show what you truly faced.

Number of TD's scored by active players on opponents squads faced in 1st two playoff games:

1. Seahawks - 88
2. Cardinals - 83
3. Steelers - 78
4. Panthers - 84
5. Packers - 80
6. Chiefs - 72
7. Pats - 64
8. Donks - 63

And the below shows the percentages of the total TD's scored on the year (by their 1st two playoff opponents), which were scored by the players who were active in the respective playoff games:

1. Seahawks - 99% < Both teams faced had all impact players active, all but 1 TD scored by players faced
2. Steelers - 95%
3. Pats - 94%
4. Packers - 84%
5. Panthers - 81%
6. Chiefs - 81%
7. Cardinals - 79%
8. Donks - 64% < active players faced did not even account for 2/3 of opponents TD's on year

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...

Last edited by chopper31; 02-23-2016 at 04:54 AM..
Old 02-23-2016, 04:13 AM
<<< LA's finest football

Quote:
You play who you get...Roethlisberger, Brady and Newton, the MVP. What more can you get?
Sounds like Moe talking.

So I guess that means that you put those guys on any team, and you are automatically facing a top offense ?

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Old 02-23-2016, 04:49 AM
<<< LA's finest football

To clarify Canmore, I'm not saying you guys didn't deserve to win the SB. You beat everyone that was put in your path, and had no control over who that was, or what condition they were in at the time.

What I'm saying is that in addition to good defense, you had a hell of a lot of luck on your side. It's also a very strong arguement on why your defense (which was very good) accomplished nothing of historic value. The luck you had on your side was almost certainly of historic value.

As far as the SB game goes itself, as I said before you won the turnover battle, so won the game. That was going to be the formula for either team who won the game, as neither team had a strong enough offense to consistently move the ball down a long field against a top tier defense.

Contrary to the belief of some, Carolina's defense was the main strength of their team. Yes, their offense lead the league in scoring, but because of the position the defense consistently put them in. The defense lead the league in turnovers, and also consistently gave the offense good field position, and the offense was able to take full advantage of that. The yardage stats for the Panthers do not line up anywhere near their #1 scoring ranking as a result (11th overall and only 11 less yards per game than the Donks who scored 145 fewer points, and 24th ranked in passing yards while the Donks were ranked 14th).

I'd say your offense did a better job than most of protecting the ball against the league's most opportunistic defense (#1 in takeaways), but in reality I can't give any compliments to that offensive performance. Having 8 three and outs, and the least total net yards of any SB winner ever, definitely deserves no props. Oddly enough, the consistent 3 and outs may have actually worked to your benefit, by limiting the opportunities/liability to turn the ball over. Your punter moved the ball 365 yards in the game, your offense moved it 194 yards...

Last edited by chopper31; 02-23-2016 at 05:48 AM..
Old 02-23-2016, 05:37 AM
<<< LA's finest football

Quote:
According to some posters, we didn't have either. What's the problem?
Of the 35 offensive TD's your team scored, through and including the AFCCG, every single one of those TD's were scored by a guy that was active in your playoff games.

Of the 44 Offensive TD's the Steelers scored through and including the Diviosonal Playoff game, only 19 of those were scored by players who were active in the playoff game against you.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Do! Do Not! ...No Try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper31 View Post
You were definitely not the underdogs against Pittsburgh. They still nearly beat you, and would have without Touissant (a guy who had no business being active in a playoff game) coughing it up.

You're right that you play who you get, and you can't control that. You definitely received a lot of breaks to get to the SB though. The SB game was the only time you actually faced a team that wasn't majorly handicapped.
You are correct. Maybe a little hyperbole there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Do! Do Not! ...No Try!

Quote:
Sounds like Moe talking.

So I guess that means that you put those guys on any team, and you are automatically facing a top offense ?
Sounds like murderers row to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:07 PM
<<< LA's finest football

For anyone under the false impression that the Panthers were some offensive juggernaut, you're not gonna like this.

The truth is the only thing that separated the Donks offense from the Panthers offense, was the QB. Particularly Cam's ability to avoid dumb interceptions and running abilities.

Here is a full comparison of the two offenses:

Traditional Rushing
Panthers RB Committee - 1616 yards
Donks RB Committee - 1631 yards

Traditional Rushing TD's
Panthers RB Committee - 9
Donks RB Committee - 12

QB Rushing yards
Newton - 636
Donks - 55

QB Rushing TD's
Newton - 10
Donks - 1

Passing yards
Donks - 3,970
Panthers - 3,589

Passing TD's
Donks - 19
Panthers - 35

Passing INT's
Donks - 23
Panthers - 10

Total Offensive Yardage
Donks Total Yardage - 5,688
Panthers Total Yardage - 5,870

Total Offensive TD's
Panthers TD's - 54
Donks TD's - 32

Field Goals Made
Panthers FG - 30
Donks FG - 30

Old 02-23-2016, 02:09 PM
<<< LA's finest football

And to make things even better, the Panthers had a much easier regular season schedule than the Donks did:

Opponents faced in reg season
Donks Strength of Schedule - .500
Panthers Strength of schedule - .441

Top 10 defenses faced
Panthers - 4 (Sea, Hou, TBx2)
Donks - 4 (KCx2, NE, BAL)

Middle of pack defenses faced
Panthers - 4 (GB, CHI, ATLx2)
Donks - 10 (SDx2, OAKx2, CIN, PIT, GB, CHI, DET, MIN)

Bottom 10 defenses faced
Panthers - 7 (NYG, NOx2, PHI, WAS, IND, JAC)
Donks - 2 (CLE, IND)

Old 02-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Do! Do Not! ...No Try!

Quote:
To clarify Canmore, I'm not saying you guys didn't deserve to win the SB. You beat everyone that was put in your path, and had no control over who that was, or what condition they were in at the time.

What I'm saying is that in addition to good defense, you had a hell of a lot of luck on your side. It's also a very strong arguement on why your defense (which was very good) accomplished nothing of historic value. The luck you had on your side was almost certainly of historic value.

As far as the SB game goes itself, as I said before you won the turnover battle, so won the game. That was going to be the formula for either team who won the game, as neither team had a strong enough offense to consistently move the ball down a long field against a top tier defense.

Contrary to the belief of some, Carolina's defense was the main strength of their team. Yes, their offense lead the league in scoring, but because of the position the defense consistently put them in. The defense lead the league in turnovers, and also consistently gave the offense good field position, and the offense was able to take full advantage of that. The yardage stats for the Panthers do not line up anywhere near their #1 scoring ranking as a result (11th overall and only 11 less yards per game than the Donks who scored 145 fewer points, and 24th ranked in passing yards while the Donks were ranked 14th).

I'd say your offense did a better job than most of protecting the ball against the league's most opportunistic defense (#1 in takeaways), but in reality I can't give any compliments to that offensive performance. Having 8 three and outs, and the least total net yards of any SB winner ever, definitely deserves no props. Oddly enough, the consistent 3 and outs may have actually worked to your benefit, by limiting the opportunities/liability to turn the ball over. Your punter moved the ball 365 yards in the game, your offense moved it 194 yards...
I was pretty aware of Carolina's team. My brother is a closet Carolina fan and we discussed the Panthers at length over the course of the season and especially during the playoffs.

Luck...sure...but there is something for making your own luck also. We did a pretty good job of that.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Do! Do Not! ...No Try!

Quote:
For anyone under the false impression that the Panthers were some offensive juggernaut, you're not gonna like this.

The truth is the only thing that separated the Donks offense from the Panthers offense, was the QB. Particularly Cam's ability to avoid dumb interceptions and running abilities.

Here is a full comparison of the two offenses:

Traditional Rushing
Panthers RB Committee - 1616 yards
Donks RB Committee - 1631 yards

Traditional Rushing TD's
Panthers RB Committee - 9
Donks RB Committee - 12

QB Rushing yards
Newton - 636
Donks - 55

QB Rushing TD's
Newton - 10
Donks - 1

Passing yards
Donks - 3,970
Panthers - 3,589

Passing TD's
Donks - 19
Panthers - 35

Passing INT's
Donks - 23
Panthers - 10

Total Offensive Yardage
Donks Total Yardage - 5,688
Panthers Total Yardage - 5,870

Total Offensive TD's
Panthers TD's - 54
Donks TD's - 32

Field Goals Made
Panthers FG - 30
Donks FG - 30
I never said that. If you remember, I picked Seattle.

Closed Thread