Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2017, 12:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygobrett View Post
Solid point....like the raidars hit gold on Carr, or Dak in dallas. (who i actually think is highly overrated), but both playing for a lot less than someone not on a rookie contract!!!
Exactly gives you about 20 million per year extra to build or solidify your team, which is absolutely huge. The biggest part of this is knowing exactly what your getting by having this guy start for 3-4 years.

Just ask the Redskins how they are feeling right now. They don't know if Kirk is the real deal or not, because they kept on giving RG3 the job even though Kirk clearly outplayed RG3 post rookie season.

Winston, Mariota, Carr, Wilson, Dak, and their respective teams are all going to/ have reap the benefit of having that financial flexibility.

If you want to draft a QB now that fine, but to do it with our only 1st round pick is insane IMO.

If not wait for Rivers contract year, then go get your guy to learn behind Rivers for 1 year.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:54 AM
PADS 2021 WS. I CALLED IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daygoboy6191 View Post
It is when you are using the 7th overall pick in the draft, and there's plenty of other holes to fill on this team.

Just curious how long you plan on keeping Rivers here? 3 more years while your QB is learning behind him?

By that time he will have 1 more year under his rookie deal, and an extra if you pickup his 5th year option which is a huge jump in the cap.

Teams who are able to build and develop their team are teams who are able to utilize the rookie contract, and under this situation how much of it are you going to actually utilize?
I'd bet Rivers has another 2 solid years in him.
I don't believe this team is a SuperBowl contender right now, I don't believe Rivers is going to get better as he approaches 40, and I don't believe Rivers will continue playing after the remaining 3 years on his contract, which is why I don't think addressing the future is insane.

Theoretically, this young team should continue to improve and peak in a few years as Rivers continues to decline. This should be their highest pick over the next few years. If they think the next face of the franchise is there then they should pick him and let the situation play out. If he is ready after a year then move on, if not, or if the team surprises then let him sit another year.

I do not believe either of these guys is "the" guy, but maybe they do. As they continue to fall short of the ultimate goal, I think it makes sense to take a proactive approach preparing for the future like GB did, rather than passing on what could be their best chance at a QB. It's better to have your franchise QB a year too early than it is to scramble searching for one later in the draft or in free agency.

Last edited by Padres15; 03-16-2017 at 12:59 AM..
Old 03-16-2017, 01:02 AM
Rookie

Scenario: Top 6 picks are D; Adams & Hooker gone
I know Hooker is still our guy in lots of mocks. But, it appears that Hooker only falls to the Bolts if no offensive players are taken prior.

Consider this scenario, with no trade (down) partners - you have to pick at #7.
DRAFTED:
Myles Garrett DE A&M
Solomon Thomas DE Stan
Jamal Adams S LSU
Malik Hooker S OSU
Jonathan Allen DE Bama
Marshon Lattimore CB OSU

Do you grab the best player available in RB Fournette?
Address positions of need?
OL = Ramczyk (projected in most mocks to go late teens, early 20s)
DE = upgrade, going to the 4-3. Lots of high rated talent here that would be worthy of a #7
DB = looks like best available would be a CB
WR = prime choice of the #1 WR in either Williams or Davis
QB = groom the heir apparent under Rivers

IMO, if we're in this position, I'd grab Fournette. He's in the Top 3 talent-wise and that's getting value at 7. RB isn't a glaring need but we're thin here and one Gordon injury from not having a backfield threat. I think the 2nd safest bang for our buck, in this scenario, is getting the bookend DE for the 4-3 to start opposite of Bosa. The draft talent here would be the biggest upgrade to our current option (Philon) and we can get someone we can plug in as a starter.

Ramczyk should only be considered if we can trade down. Okung helps address the OT. But, to me, this is our largest area of need with Fluker and Dunlap gone. I can understand if TT grabs him at 7.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest View Post
Scenario: Top 6 picks are D; Adams & Hooker gone
I know Hooker is still our guy in lots of mocks. But, it appears that Hooker only falls to the Bolts if no offensive players are taken prior.

Consider this scenario, with no trade (down) partners - you have to pick at #7.
DRAFTED:
Myles Garrett DE A&M
Solomon Thomas DE Stan
Jamal Adams S LSU
Malik Hooker S OSU
Jonathan Allen DE Bama
Marshon Lattimore CB OSU

Do you grab the best player available in RB Fournette?
Address positions of need?
OL = Ramczyk (projected in most mocks to go late teens, early 20s)
DE = upgrade, going to the 4-3. Lots of high rated talent here that would be worthy of a #7
DB = looks like best available would be a CB
WR = prime choice of the #1 WR in either Williams or Davis
QB = groom the heir apparent under Rivers

IMO, if we're in this position, I'd grab Fournette. He's in the Top 3 talent-wise and that's getting value at 7. RB isn't a glaring need but we're thin here and one Gordon injury from not having a backfield threat. I think the 2nd safest bang for our buck, in this scenario, is getting the bookend DE for the 4-3 to start opposite of Bosa. The draft talent here would be the biggest upgrade to our current option (Philon) and we can get someone we can plug in as a starter.

Ramczyk should only be considered if we can trade down. Okung helps address the OT. But, to me, this is our largest area of need with Fluker and Dunlap gone. I can understand if TT grabs him at 7.
You have left out the option of taking Howard TE, which is similar to taking Fournette in that it is doubling up on a position of relative strength. For me, I would prefer Howard, but both are very talented.

GO BOLTS !
Old 03-16-2017, 06:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
You have left out the option of taking Howard TE, which is similar to taking Fournette in that it is doubling up on a position of relative strength. For me, I would prefer Howard, but both are very talented.
Njoku > Howard.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Njoku > Howard.
Maybe.....

Howard will be 1st rd pick, upper half

Njoku might end up the better value simply because of where he is chosen in the draft.

Both should be successful in the NFL.

GO BOLTS !
Old 03-16-2017, 07:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Per recent intel, the Charger had an extended visit with Kevin King after the Washington Pro Day.

Pluses:
-Excellent length 6'3".
-Highest tier in several measurables/tests at Combine.
-Superior athlete.
-Good technique.
-High football IQ.
-Great position flexibility. CB. Slot. NB. FS.

KK is not a real strong tackler.

If he is on the board at 38
Kevin King will be the pick.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Chidobe Awuzie CB colorado, perfectly slotted for us at 38,
is now being considered as a CB-S combo player.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Bolts have a franchise QB....hence they do not need a QB.

I like Trubisky, but I am trolling you all when I say the Bolts should take him.
Rivers has three years left on his contract. From last season, it is evident Rivers' skills and patience are eroding. Given a solid run game, that should help. Still, the Bolts do need to groom his successor. If they have Trub rated as a top 10 talent, I say pull the trigger. They may not get a similar chance for a while. Having said that, I'd prefer to develop a mid round QB, since we do have 3 years to do it before Rivers probably retires.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
Rivers has three years left on his contract. From last season, it is evident Rivers' skills and patience are eroding. Given a solid run game, that should help. Still, the Bolts do need to groom his successor. If they have Trub rated as a top 10 talent, I say pull the trigger. They may not get a similar chance for a while. Having said that, I'd prefer to develop a mid round QB, since we do have 3 years to do it before Rivers probably retires.
If Rivers' decline is assured, so should poor results.....and not winning equates to high draft slot. I do not agree with the assessment on Rivers' play, as I think fix the o-line you fix all that constrains the offence. TT simply needs to stop missing on his OL picks.....

GO BOLTS !