Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Default The brutal truth: The problem is Rivers

It really pains me to say this, but this loss to Miami is mostly on Rivers. And not only the loss to the Fins. And what's sad is that this was a winnable game. Yes, the Fins had a strong pass rush, but there were way too many downs when Rivers held onto the ball too long, then forced it into coverage, instead of throwing the rock out of bounds.

Over the years, I've watched Rivers lose quite a few winnable games. As soon as he gets flustered from a pass rush and/or sack, he gets so amped up he subsequently makes very poor pass choices, throwing it into coverage, which results in interceptions, which totally change the momentum of games. Even after throwing one or two picks, given second and third chances even, he is apparently unable to shake off the jitters, and ends up making more costly mistakes.

Yes, I know Rivers is one of the top statistical QB's in the game, but unfortunately, he just is not able to close the deal when a lot of games are on the line. As long as the Bolts have Rivers as their QB, I'm afraid they will continue to be mediocre. Time to start looking for Rivers' replacement in the draft.

Last edited by topcat4477; 11-14-2016 at 07:45 AM..
Old 11-14-2016, 07:45 AM
Hall of Famer

My what's wrong with Rivers thread got deleted because apparently not many here think he's the problem.

I honestly prefer a QB who makes smart throws. Don't care if he doesn't throw 30+ TDs, 4000 yards a season.

I guess our only option at this point is to rely on the ground game.

Last edited by SDCMB1993; 11-14-2016 at 07:50 AM..
Old 11-14-2016, 07:48 AM
When all else fails

Let me give you a little fact check before you go blame Rivers.

Including Gates, Rivers had 4-5 undrafted FA wide receivers and tight ends on the field at all times. Top off the fact that he had zero time to throw the ball, I find it extremely hard to understand why the problem is Rivers.

You name me one other QB in this league who could succeed with nothing but UDFA for WR's and a OL who literally gives him zero time to throw the ball. Were some of those throws questionable and on him....yes they were. But if you had access to the coaching tape and could watch nothing but our Wr's and the routes they run and the lack of separation they have, you may be changing your tune
Old 11-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCMB1993 View Post
My what's wrong with Rivers thread got deleted because apparently not many here think he's the problem.
You mean this thread?

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=105750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 11-14-2016, 07:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
SD, I'm with you on this. So tough to admit it, because I really like Rivers. Given decent protection, he picks opposing defenses apart. But just throw an even slightly above average pass rush at him, and he just falls apart. This really does deserve a separate thread. Please no merge, Mods.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post

Including Gates, Rivers had 4-5 undrafted FA wide receivers and tight ends on the field at all times. Top off the fact that he had zero time to throw the ball, I find it extremely hard to understand why the problem is Rivers.

You name me one other QB in this league who could succeed with nothing but UDFA for WR's and a OL who literally gives him zero time to throw the ball. Were some of those throws questionable and on him....yes they were. But if you had access to the coaching tape and could watch nothing but our Wr's and the routes they run and the lack of separation they have, you may be changing your tune
Rivers had Gates, Twill, Henry and Inman to throw to, all of whom he has had either years or several games plus practices to throw to. So the FA argument falls flat. Zero time to throw? No, he was certainly pressured at times, but did have time quite a bit of the time, as long as he would have gotten the pass away fairly quickly. Instead, he he forced it into coverage repeatedly and got picked off. Rivers needs to have the composure to throw the rock away when in doubt. And this is his biggest failing.

Last edited by topcat4477; 11-14-2016 at 08:14 AM..
Old 11-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Power of 51

IN before the merge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

I honestly prefer a QB who makes smart throws. Don't care if he doesn't throw 30+ TDs, 4000 yards a season.

I guess our only option at this point is to rely on the ground game.
I think we need to gear our offense towards the ground game and short passes, with an occasional medium pass. Establish the rushing attack, and the pass rush is less of a problem. More screen passes to neutralize the rush. Did you notice Whiz dialed up that screen to Gordon? It worked well--need more of that. Oh, and though I place this loss mostly on Rivers, I blame Whiz for part of this loss for not sending Gordon on sweeps to the outside more often instead of up the gut for no gain.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post

Gates is a Hof'er. Henry a high 2nd round pick. Gordon a 1st rounder. Ty Williams has developed into a good receiver and has been with the team for a few years. Inman the same.

There was pressure but it wasn't constant. On his picks he had time. On theeee play of the game, he got fooled by the coverage.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Hall of Famer

The other problem is that Rivers has cement shoes. If he had an ounce of running ability -- even Tannehill level -- he would be more effective
Closed Thread