Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is it time to move on from Rivers
Yes 15 35.71%
No 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 01-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is offline
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 29,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Bull. That's part of the Freak story and you know it.

Rivers is capable of beast mode. Throws passes only about 10 or 15 guys can make.

Big difference is his inability to NOT throw it to the other team. Don't give me this pressure, playing from behind crap.

He has thrown a lot of picks this year within 1 score and a huge pocket. That is why he isn't at the highest level. He's still just a big stat guy who makes the big mistakes.

Our new coaches need to work on this, perhaps some uniform identification drills?
Off to a bad New Year there Mod ?

(holy tomatoes)

I assume you are on the Rivers Hall of Fame committee ?

OH I KNOW. You want to know what shape we are in WITHOUT Rivers.

Kellen Clemens mod. We are in Kellen Clemens shape currently.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 PM
PhilaBoltster PhilaBoltster is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 609
Default

Rivers is very good, one of the best pure passers as far as reading defenses and accuracy and QB smarts.

However, there are some things he does poorly. He has no mobility to make plays outside the pocket, which limits what plays the offense can have in its playbook and what the defenses have to worry about.

He is also prone to interceptions, fumbles on sacks too often, and is not good in pressure and/or late game situations.

You add it all up and Rivers is too often outplayed by the opposing team's QB. He is not as much in the upper tier as some would think.

I love him as the Chargers QB, there is no one I'd rather see win a Super Bowl, but realistically a new and improved QB needs to be on the wish list.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM
daygobrett's Avatar
daygobrett daygobrett is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aliso Viejo
Posts: 1,024
Default

Rivers has got to be the least mobile guy in the league. Hoping our next Qb can throw accurately, is smart, and can get that first down when needed ala derek carr, Rodgers, etc. shoot, even Kirk Cousins.

Food for thought, u think we would have had a better year or won more games this year with Cousins at the helm? Id say yes.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-30-2017, 12:05 PM
909 Charger's Avatar
909 Charger 909 Charger is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: La verne
Posts: 2,782
Default

Tom posted this in another thread...

Eric Weddle during Pro Bowl week:

"I'll give you guys a really inside story. It happened two nights ago. We were all hanging out at the bar. It was me, Philip, Bobby Wagner, Von Miller, Harrison Smith and a couple other guys. And Von comes up - and we're just talking about games and experiences - and Von goes on this seven-minute dissertation of how much he loves, respects and admires Philip and thinks he's one of the best quarterbacks in this league.

"And he goes off and says, 'Look who he played with and [he still] beat us!' He's just like, 'That guy right there is amazing.'

"Honestly to players, players know, like, players know you come here, and you could have a couple games … but they know how good you are. Really, at the bottom line, who you play with, what you're playing with, the team, the scheme - they know. So it was a perfect example of one of the best players in this league - [one of] the greatest people - was literally talking to Phil and telling him how much he thinks he's the best quarterback in the league. And he was really being honest about it. It was awesome just to see that."
__________________
Ever Evolving Mock
1st: C.Williams, OT
2nd: D.O'Daniel, LB
3rd: B.Bozeman, C
4th: R.Penny, RB
5th-7th: DT, QB, PK?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is offline
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 29,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Charger View Post
Tom posted this in another thread...

Eric Weddle during Pro Bowl week:

"I'll give you guys a really inside story. It happened two nights ago. We were all hanging out at the bar. It was me, Philip, Bobby Wagner, Von Miller, Harrison Smith and a couple other guys. And Von comes up - and we're just talking about games and experiences - and Von goes on this seven-minute dissertation of how much he loves, respects and admires Philip and thinks he's one of the best quarterbacks in this league.

"And he goes off and says, 'Look who he played with and [he still] beat us!' He's just like, 'That guy right there is amazing.'

"Honestly to players, players know, like, players know you come here, and you could have a couple games … but they know how good you are. Really, at the bottom line, who you play with, what you're playing with, the team, the scheme - they know. So it was a perfect example of one of the best players in this league - [one of] the greatest people - was literally talking to Phil and telling him how much he thinks he's the best quarterback in the league. And he was really being honest about it. It was awesome just to see that."
That pretty much sums it up folks.
__________________
Originally Posted by cthommes
Sure. AL has already sent his strong message about performance accountability (simulcast in Korean).
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-30-2017, 01:42 PM
frozendisc's Avatar
frozendisc frozendisc is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cotes-des-neiges, Montreal
Posts: 13,481
Default

It is not time to move on from Rivers, but it is time to prepare......

Trubinsky with pick 7 gets the Bolts ready.....
__________________
1909...the year excellence started.

GO BOLTS !
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-30-2017, 02:48 PM
909 Charger's Avatar
909 Charger 909 Charger is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: La verne
Posts: 2,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
It is not time to move on from Rivers, but it is time to prepare......

Trubinsky with pick 7 gets the Bolts ready.....
Wouldn't be completely shocked. But disappointed. I suppose it depends on how much one thinks PR has left in the tank. I'm confident he'll play 3 more seasons. Do we want a 7 overall pick sitting around that long?

If, say, Watson or Kiser fall to the 2nd, I'd pounce. Or Mahomes or Webb in the 3rd, I'd be down.
__________________
Ever Evolving Mock
1st: C.Williams, OT
2nd: D.O'Daniel, LB
3rd: B.Bozeman, C
4th: R.Penny, RB
5th-7th: DT, QB, PK?
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 02-07-2017, 12:39 AM
northerner's Avatar
northerner northerner is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: santa clara
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Charger View Post
Wouldn't be completely shocked. But disappointed. I suppose it depends on how much one thinks PR has left in the tank. I'm confident he'll play 3 more seasons. Do we want a 7 overall pick sitting around that long?

If, say, Watson or Kiser fall to the 2nd, I'd pounce. Or Mahomes or Webb in the 3rd, I'd be down.
i agree with your 3 year assessment, i would load up on impact players in the next 2 drafts and then start thinking QB as a priority. make the run while u can, it might be a while before we have someone as good as PR.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 02-08-2017, 06:46 PM
florida SD fan florida SD fan is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: panama city
Posts: 4,215
Default

I think it is time to trade Rivers to a team that has a shot at Playoffs. Because Im to tired of watching a train wreck of FO and Owner mess up HOF Players Careers.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 02-08-2017, 06:50 PM
florida SD fan florida SD fan is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: panama city
Posts: 4,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Charger View Post
Wouldn't be completely shocked. But disappointed. I suppose it depends on how much one thinks PR has left in the tank. I'm confident he'll play 3 more seasons. Do we want a 7 overall pick sitting around that long?

If, say, Watson or Kiser fall to the 2nd, I'd pounce. Or Mahomes or Webb in the 3rd, I'd be down.
I would not be supersized if Rivers hang it up if we do not make PO. But I would do everything to keep him here for 3 more years. But Brady did make it look easy to win another SB.

It crazy to see NE shutdown the #1 offense in second half. Reminds me of Shotty and LT losing to NE. Oh yah, our K blew that one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 PM.


© 2017 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.