Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Bolt News
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2017, 03:29 PM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
There are those that are certain Tuerk is so talented that he will push Slauson out to a OG position.....
That would be the USC fans. Fans of other Pac 12 teams think he's probably a bad pick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
In which way? Looking great in comparison also indicates he was playing with little help and in fact probably would have looked much better with Pro Bowl level OGs on either side.
OL is always a group product. Stars get a chance to shine when their teammates are doing their jobs competently.
Not to say Slauson is a great player but there is no reason to doubt his ability to start at OG or C and be an asset.
Plus one !

It would not surprise me to see Fluker do ok in NY, if surrounded by a healthy, competent stable of offensive linemen, just like he enjoyed next to Uncle Jeromey.

This season, Slauson will stabilize our line, while playing for his final contract. I hope Tuerk/Clark/Pulley show something, for I have pined for young interior Olinemen since when we knew Hardwick was about done !
Old 03-12-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
There are those that are certain Tuerk is so talented that he will push Slauson out to a OG position.....
I'm one who thinks that Tuerk was drafted to be the new C. If so, then I expect it will push Slauson to OG. However, I don't expect that because I thought he was so great in college. In truth, I probably only saw him in two games, so I really hold no position regerding the likelyhood that he can be a good C for us. But, the release of Fluker tells me they have something in mind to fill that void and the high pick (3rd round) of Tuerk plus the years of playing OG by Slauson make it seem logigical that they are hoping this will solve the problem at RG.

That's my long way of saying that you don't have to be a Tuerk fan to think this is the plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
I'm one who thinks that Tuerk was drafted to be the new C. If so, then I expect it will push Slauson to OG. However, I don't expect that because I thought he was so great in college. In truth, I probably only saw him in two games, so I really hold no position regerding the likelyhood that he can be a good C for us. But, the release of Fluker tells me they have something in mind to fill that void and the high pick (3rd round) of Tuerk plus the years of playing OG by Slauson make it seem logigical that they are hoping this will solve the problem at RG.

That's my long way of saying that you don't have to be a Tuerk fan to think this is the plan.
Good call. Before Slauson fell into our laps, I think Tuerk was the center of the future for the Bolts. I don't think anything has changed & Slauson is only signed through 2017. Like that November article mentioned, signing Slauson allowed for Tuerk to have a "redshirt" season. I think not getting into games last season wasn't because he wasn't ready, I think it was more of giving him a full season of learning at the NFL level without enduring the physical demands, as he completely healed from surgery. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tuerk won the center job and Slauson kicked out to guard, his natural position.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default Speaking of Slauson falling into our laps days after the 2016 draft ...

I can now see the possibility that Dunlap gets paid his $1.25 million roster bonus on March 17th, but still gets cut after the late-April draft just as Slauson did last year.

By paying Dunlap the $1.25 million, the Chargers aren't "forced" into taking a player just because the Chargers need to fill a hole caused by the Dunlap cut, and not because he is the best player on the board for the Bolts. This will give TT and company some flexibility come draft days.

Having said that, I sure do hope and pray that the Chargers spend some Day 1 and/or Day 2 artillery on the oline and Dunlap may still may get cut before March 17th, but I don't believe King is assured a roster spot for offseason workouts beginning in May depending upon how the dice fall for offensive linemen in the Chargers' upcoming draft.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
I can now see the possibility that Dunlap gets paid his $1.25 million roster bonus on March 17th, but still gets cut after the late-April draft just as Slauson did last year.

By paying Dunlap the $1.25 million, the Chargers aren't "forced" into taking a player just because the Chargers need to fill a hole caused by the Dunlap cut, and not because he is the best player on the board for the Bolts. This will give TT and company some flexibility come draft days.

Having said that, I sure do hope and pray that the Chargers spend some Day 1 and/or Day 2 artillery on the oline and Dunlap may still may get cut before March 17th, but I don't believe King is assured a roster spot for offseason workouts beginning in May depending upon how the dice fall for offensive linemen in the Chargers' upcoming draft.
He can be cut and resigned, no?

The Spanos' arent exactly the family to pay 1.25M for a little cushion.

Round 1 Pick 7: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
Round 2 Pick 6: Takkarist McKinley, OLB/DE, UCLA
Round 3 Pick 7: Desmond King, FS/CB, Iowa
Round 4 Pick 6: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh
Round 5 Pick 7: Erik Magnuson, OT, Michigan
Round 6 Pick 6: Dylan Cole, OLB, Missouri State
Round 7 Pick 7: Ahmad Thomas, FS, Oklahoma
Old 03-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltup90 View Post
He can be cut and resigned, no?

The Spanos' arent exactly the family to pay 1.25M for a little cushion.
Unlike more than a few other teams (Raiders, Jaguars, Browns, etc.), the Spanos family has always spent up to the cap, so that's not an issue.

Once Dunlap is cut, he's unlikely to be unsigned (at a different level, but look at Okung as Exhibit A). If King gets cut before March 17th, TT will have an absolute need to fill in the draft which may force a pick to be higher than be justified depending upon how the draft may unfold.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Unlike more than a few other teams (Raiders, Jaguars, Browns, etc.), the Spanos family has always spent up to the cap, so that's not an issue.

Once Dunlap is cut, he's unlikely to be unsigned (at a different level, but look at Okung as Exhibit A). If King gets cut before March 17th, TT will have an absolute need to fill in the draft which may force a pick to be higher than be justified depending upon how the draft may unfold.
I think too, if we keep him aorund he could provide excellent leverage in a trade down proposal.

If a team isnt willing to trade up giving their 2nd round selection, the addition of King to their team could prove the kicker in making a deal.

Example:

Buffalo trading up to 7 but not wanting to part with their 2nd, we offer King into the deal while they throw in some sort of late round pick.

Buffalo send picks 10, 40 and a 6th to LAC for 7 and King Dunlap. We gain an extra 2nd and 5th, drop into better position to justify Ramczyk or Bolles and save the cap strapped to King.

Round 1 Pick 7: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
Round 2 Pick 6: Takkarist McKinley, OLB/DE, UCLA
Round 3 Pick 7: Desmond King, FS/CB, Iowa
Round 4 Pick 6: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh
Round 5 Pick 7: Erik Magnuson, OT, Michigan
Round 6 Pick 6: Dylan Cole, OLB, Missouri State
Round 7 Pick 7: Ahmad Thomas, FS, Oklahoma
Old 03-12-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Maybe they'll cut Okung instead. A few years ago they brought in a vet from Pittsburgh but cut him when he didn't play well in the pre-season.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
Maybe they'll cut Okung instead. A few years ago they brought in a vet from Pittsburgh but cut him when he didn't play well in the pre-season.
Yeah, but Max Starks was a cheap "show me" contract. Okung has a lot of money wrapped up in his contract (25 mil guaranteed). Okung is here for at least 2 years. Hope for the best. When all is said and done, I hope Okung, Dunlap, and Barksdale play well and stay healthy.

At least we have better depth at the OT position. I'm not happy that we aren't spending a 1st round pick on our immediate upgrade at RT... and eventual long-term starter at LT. But I understand/appreciate what they're trying to do.