Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default Chargers Training Camp to be held in Costa Mesa upon Tuesday Approval

Looks like it is going to be where huge soccer tournaments are held. Loads of field space, so it will be interesting to see how they configure it:

Quote:
Chargers hoping for final approval Tuesday on Costa Mesa training site
March 16, 2017 Updated 6:18 p.m.
By JACK WANG / STAFF WRITER

A month after Chargers owner Dean Spanos received a ceremonial key to the city, the Costa Mesa city council will decide whether or not to approve a deal to host the team's preseason training camp.

The NFL franchise has agreed to a tentative 10-year deal that will pay the city approximately $150,570 annually for use of the Jack R. Hammett Sports Complex, Costa Mesa spokesperson Tony Dodero confirmed Thursday. A city council vote is scheduled for Tuesday night, following a public hearing.

Under the terms of the agreement, the Chargers would be able to use two of the complex's six fields – located two miles east of their temporary facility at The Hive, where they also have agreed to a 10-year lease. NFL clubs usually begin training camp in late July, with practices leading into four preseason games.

"We are excited for the City Council to consider this long-term partnership with the Los Angeles Chargers," Costa Mesa city manager Tom Hatch said in a statement. "Significant time and consideration went into crafting the agreement that will allow this incredible opportunity to happen while ensuring impacts are limited."

In addition to their annual payment to Costa Mesa, the Chargers will make one-time donations to both the city's new mobile recreation program and to AYSO Region 120. The team will donate $50,000 to the after-school recreation program – recently approved by the city council – which will provide sporting activities and homework help to underserved communities.

The Bolts will give $10,000 to AYSO to help offset any potential disruption to the soccer program, which uses the same fields. No other organizations are expected to be impacted by the Chargers' use of the complex, Dodero said.

Terms of the deal were first reported by the Daily Pilot.

"There's two things that are very important to our organization and our family," Spanos said during a February welcome luncheon at Center Club Orange County. "That is, obviously, putting a winning product on the field. But the second thing, and I think equally as important, is to become a part of the community. Costa Mesa, Orange County is our home."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...gers-mesa.html
https://www.google.com/maps/place/27...4d-117.9062857

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Hall of Famer

I aint driving all the way up to Costa Mesa to watch training camp (a yearly ritual). One of you LA-types will have to cover the 3 or 4 posts I usually submit to the CMB.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Hall of Famer

No more Charger park?
Old 03-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
No more Charger park?
They are finished at Chargers Park when off season workouts, OTAs and minicamps end in early June.

Their new offices will be at a different site in Costa Mesa:

Quote:
Chargers have 10-year lease for Costa Mesa HQ and training facility
By Luke Money
January 27, 2017

The lease the Los Angeles Chargers signed for space in Costa Mesa to serve as their new headquarters and training and practice facility is for 10 years, the city's top administrator said Friday.

"I think we've all got to be Chargers fans moving forward," City Manager Tom Hatch joked during a joint liaison committee meeting among the city, Costa Mesa Sanitary District and Mesa Water District.

Other details of the lease haven't been disclosed. No one from the National Football League franchise, which is relocating from San Diego, could immediately be reached for comment.

In December, the team agreed to lease part of the Hive — a Costa Mesa office complex north of the 405 Freeway at 3333 Susan St. — and an adjacent parcel if it decided to leave San Diego for Los Angeles. The Chargers announced the move this month.

The team will play its home games at the StubHub Center in Carson until moving into a new stadium in Inglewood that it will share with the Los Angeles Rams, who moved from St. Louis last year. The new stadium is scheduled to open in 2019.

The Hive is "going to be their home, their headquarters, their practice facilities and their training facilities," Hatch said. "So they'll be there every day except when they're either driving to L.A. for eight games a year or they're in some other city playing somebody else."

The Hive site contains three two-story office buildings totaling about 184,000 square feet. The Chargers' lease is for the largest of the three, Building C, which is nearly 102,000 square feet.

The team also plans to lease an adjacent 3.2-acre parcel called "The Corner."

"I think we've heard from them quite clearly that they want to be part of the fabric of Costa Mesa," Hatch said. "So it's pretty exciting."

He acknowledged, however, that it's possible the team could look for accommodations elsewhere in the future.

"I think we're going to make them feel welcome," Hatch said. "I think they're going to like the area. Could they move somewhere else to a permanent site? Do they want to build their own facility to meet all their needs for the long term? They might."

Hatch said the city has been meeting regularly with Chargers representatives to discuss the team's ideas for the Costa Mesa site and determine what approvals are necessary to carry them out.

The team hasn't submitted any official plans yet, but city interim Development Services Director Jay Trevino said those are expected in the next few weeks.

"They're moving very quickly," he said Friday.

Generally, Trevino said, the team is looking to remodel the interior of the office building and rework the adjacent parcel for use as a practice field.

"The entire business is being moved to Costa Mesa, so you've got all their administration, the coaching staff, the entire organization will be housed on this property," he said.

Trevino said it appears that whatever approvals or permits are necessary likely can be handled by city staff and won't require review by the Planning Commission or City Council.

Though the team has officially rebranded as the Los Angeles Chargers, some people who attended Friday's meeting had other suggestions for the name.

"What about Costa Mesa Chargers?" asked Jim Ferryman, vice president of the sanitary district board.

"Los Angeles Chargers of Costa Mesa," City Councilman John Stephens quipped.

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-p...127-story.html

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 03-17-2017 at 05:05 PM..
Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

Very cool....
Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 PM
<< Eeyooh, boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
I aint driving all the way up to Costa Mesa to watch training camp (a yearly ritual). One of you LA-types will have to cover the 3 or 4 posts I usually submit to the CMB.
I got you.

My son and his friends will, too.

(p.s. that's "OC Types" in our case. And we went to SD training camps, too).

Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 PM
<< Eeyooh, boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Looks like it is going to be where huge soccer tournaments are held. Loads of field space, so it will be interesting to see how they configure it:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/27...4d-117.9062857
Right next to OCC, for ease of reference.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Fight for Costa Mesa?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:24 PM
Release DJ Fluker!!

Living in Oceanside really hasn't screwed me in regards to going to games and training camp. I feel bad for people who live south of the 8.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Right next to OCC, for ease of reference.
The school where I just happened to get my associates degree at! The Chargers training in OC will only broaden their appeal as being THE #1 team in SoCal...

Last edited by electricgold; 03-19-2017 at 08:10 AM..