Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Rookie

The love that San Diegans had for the Chargers for 55 years is a better love story than Twilight.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:18 AM
Knock It Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Greetings Dan, SD, Igor!

Good to see you all. Wish it was under different circumstances.
Awesome to see you, chargertom! Sorry it had to be like this, but glad I got a chance to virtually shake your hand again before the whole thing goes up in flames. Thanks for all you've done, my friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vanguard of the Left Behind
Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorUnchained View Post
Awesome to see you, chargertom! Sorry it had to be like this, but glad I got a chance to virtually shake your hand again before the whole thing goes up in flames. Thanks for all you've done, my friend.
I hope you'll stick around, Igor. Even if it's just to hang out, if you quit supporting the team, you can be a VIP here.

We had some good times together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 12-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Ahoy Ser Davos!

Cool Update from the North, December 2017.

So let me get the preliminary out of the way...

RAIDERS SUCK.

BRONCOS SUCK.

REFEREES SUCK.

If "REFEREES SUCK" then "PATRIOTS SHOULD SUCK" --

So PATRIOTS SUCK.

And I know it's a tough job to moderate the forum. I haven't been back since early in the year, but how the hell do you talk about Colin Kaepernick when politics is a verboten topic per rules?

And no, I am not going to find out. I don't care who on the board is for or against kneeling during the national anthem. We know the NFL is against, some players are for, and Papa John's pizza sucks.

I'll just let you know that a starting-level quarterback is not on one of the 30 NFL teams, even one that is winless, and that is the reason why, despite my geographical team winning the NFC North, I don't even watch them!

I just can't root for the Vikings because of that: the whole NFL is complicit.

In January 2017, the Chargers decide to "Fight For L.A." - and HEY LOOK! It's still covering part of Philip's face to the right!

Not even a concerted effort to include fans in San Diego (or TJ) - I might have been okay with that. But like I said at the time, every fan is just a customer, a revenue stream, a corporate balance of cost-versus-income. So you don't matter.

Even you fans sticking with the team, and even you 28 new L.A. fans, Dean Spanos doesn't care about you.

Gene Klein was very smart (and shame on you if you don't know who he is) and tried to run the San Diego Chargers like a regular business and completely failed. The NFL defies corporate conventional wisdom. Only a few owners get it... which is why a Rooney or a Kraft will hoist the Lombardi again this year.

When Tom Brady's arm turns to dust, when Bill Belichick goes back to sleeping homeless underneath a James River bridge, Bob Kraft will find the next greatest person for both those jobs.

But great, you stuck with the team. So did my wife, she watches NFL Sunday Ticket at her mom's house.

My point is, what did the Chargers lose when they lost me as a fan?

14.5 games watched and the advertising revenue associated. I watched the first Monday night game and was punched in the gut every time the announcer said Los Angeles Chargers. I turned it off at halftime. I watched the Patriots-Chargers, and rooted against the Patriots, again, screw the Patriots.

Cancelled NFL Sunday Ticket before the 2017 season, and guess what? Don't need DirecTV anymore, so that will be cancelled in January.

Most of my life, I didn't buy Chargers gear, but in 2015-2016, I actually did. See my avatar... that was a hat that doesn't fit me, that I bought at the last minute, before going to U of M's stadium to watch the Chargers re-enact an episode of M*A*S*H against the Vikings. Me, my wife and mother-in-law went to both games (preseason too), they were birthday gifts! I got heavy winter gear for Xmas, Reebok Chargers-branded.

No more. $250 a year, perhaps? It starts adding up, because I know I'm not the only one turned off by "Fight For L.A." Look at how many likes the team lost on Facebook.

I am angry. I am bitter. This is why I'm posting this. I should probably "get over it." I can't. I invested so much time into the San Diego Chargers, including thousands of hours working for the team for free, being a moderator on this very message board. I can't get that time back. The joy I feel for Dennis Gibson's pass deflection, the greatest moment in team history will never ever return. Getting a Super Bowl for L.A. and newly minted fans, sigh...

YOU. HAD. ME. CHARGERS. YOU. HAD. ME. 36 SEASONS.

From when I was a first grader and saw Dan Fouts light up the night against the Cleveland Browns in week one, 1981.

And then dialing it in and losing to the very same winless Cleveland Browns in 2016, while ownership deceitfully already decided to pack up the Mayflower vans, the graphics for the Los Angeles Chargers likely finished and approved. The end.

That guy on the right side of the page, one of the best quarterbacks of his generation, a fierce leader and master of the game, he deserves a Super Bowl win. So if that ever happens, maybe I will be happy for one person.

FIGHT FOR PHILIP.

NOT L.A.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:19 PM
Ahoy Ser Davos!

Wow, maybe the mods have it easier now. I just counted, and there are only 13 active accounts that were started this year.

Surely, I must be mistaken.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan40 View Post
Wow, maybe the mods have it easier now. I just counted, and there are only 13 active accounts that were started this year.

Surely, I must be mistaken.
It's to go with the 13 (14 now) still-active accounts from before this year.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:56 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
So let me get the preliminary out of the way...

RAIDERS SUCK.

BRONCOS SUCK.

REFEREES SUCK.

If "REFEREES SUCK" then "PATRIOTS SHOULD SUCK" --

So PATRIOTS SUCK.

And I know it's a tough job to moderate the forum. I haven't been back since early in the year, but how the hell do you talk about Colin Kaepernick when politics is a verboten topic per rules?

And no, I am not going to find out. I don't care who on the board is for or against kneeling during the national anthem. We know the NFL is against, some players are for, and Papa John's pizza sucks.

I'll just let you know that a starting-level quarterback is not on one of the 30 NFL teams, even one that is winless, and that is the reason why, despite my geographical team winning the NFC North, I don't even watch them!

I just can't root for the Vikings because of that: the whole NFL is complicit.

In January 2017, the Chargers decide to "Fight For L.A." - and HEY LOOK! It's still covering part of Philip's face to the right!

Not even a concerted effort to include fans in San Diego (or TJ) - I might have been okay with that. But like I said at the time, every fan is just a customer, a revenue stream, a corporate balance of cost-versus-income. So you don't matter.

Even you fans sticking with the team, and even you 28 new L.A. fans, Dean Spanos doesn't care about you.

Gene Klein was very smart (and shame on you if you don't know who he is) and tried to run the San Diego Chargers like a regular business and completely failed. The NFL defies corporate conventional wisdom. Only a few owners get it... which is why a Rooney or a Kraft will hoist the Lombardi again this year.

When Tom Brady's arm turns to dust, when Bill Belichick goes back to sleeping homeless underneath a James River bridge, Bob Kraft will find the next greatest person for both those jobs.

But great, you stuck with the team. So did my wife, she watches NFL Sunday Ticket at her mom's house.

My point is, what did the Chargers lose when they lost me as a fan?

14.5 games watched and the advertising revenue associated. I watched the first Monday night game and was punched in the gut every time the announcer said Los Angeles Chargers. I turned it off at halftime. I watched the Patriots-Chargers, and rooted against the Patriots, again, screw the Patriots.

Cancelled NFL Sunday Ticket before the 2017 season, and guess what? Don't need DirecTV anymore, so that will be cancelled in January.

Most of my life, I didn't buy Chargers gear, but in 2015-2016, I actually did. See my avatar... that was a hat that doesn't fit me, that I bought at the last minute, before going to U of M's stadium to watch the Chargers re-enact an episode of M*A*S*H against the Vikings. Me, my wife and mother-in-law went to both games (preseason too), they were birthday gifts! I got heavy winter gear for Xmas, Reebok Chargers-branded.

No more. $250 a year, perhaps? It starts adding up, because I know I'm not the only one turned off by "Fight For L.A." Look at how many likes the team lost on Facebook.

I am angry. I am bitter. This is why I'm posting this. I should probably "get over it." I can't. I invested so much time into the San Diego Chargers, including thousands of hours working for the team for free, being a moderator on this very message board. I can't get that time back. The joy I feel for Dennis Gibson's pass deflection, the greatest moment in team history will never ever return. Getting a Super Bowl for L.A. and newly minted fans, sigh...

YOU. HAD. ME. CHARGERS. YOU. HAD. ME. 36 SEASONS.

From when I was a first grader and saw Dan Fouts light up the night against the Cleveland Browns in week one, 1981.

And then dialing it in and losing to the very same winless Cleveland Browns in 2016, while ownership deceitfully already decided to pack up the Mayflower vans, the graphics for the Los Angeles Chargers likely finished and approved. The end.

That guy on the right side of the page, one of the best quarterbacks of his generation, a fierce leader and master of the game, he deserves a Super Bowl win. So if that ever happens, maybe I will be happy for one person.

FIGHT FOR PHILIP.

NOT L.A.
TL: DR

Quote:
So I'm reading The Twilight Saga: New Moon.

Damn, it's boring. I've already seen the movie, and this book is so excruciating.

It's like one long pout.

Discuss.

Too bad, really since this thread you started back when was just so, so stellar.

Quote:
So I'm reading The Twilight Saga: New Moon.

Damn, it's boring. I've already seen the movie, and this book is so excruciating.

It's like one long pout.

Discuss.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 PM
Ahoy Ser Davos!

Bolt Oh noes! Long blocks of text!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
TL: DR
This isn't Twitter, this is a message board

Man up, drink some coffee, and give me a response.

You obviously disagree with me.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:47 PM
Ahoy Ser Davos!

Besides, you know what else was ?

Thousands of voices across this country in complete wharbarggle simultaneously because NFL players decided to take a stand.

Is there a kneeling smiley I can use to post with?

Last edited by Dan40; 12-22-2017 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 12-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
This isn't Twitter, this is a message board

Man up, drink some coffee, and give me a response.

You obviously disagree with me.
I also disagree. The Twilight Saga: New Moon was a fantastic piece of literature. Truly life changing. Not sure how anyone could think otherwise.