Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2017, 04:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
The Sea of Cortez spoke to me...
The TIDE rolled in...
The TIDE rolled out...
It was a sign...
Quote:
The TIDE people... Alabama Crimson... never mind. The ocean has spoken...
Quote:
I go away for 4 days and Donovan Clark is starting OG and Orlando Franklin is starting RT... what have you been doing with your time...? Not good Woody, not cool Mo. You're both fired as honorary OL gurus.

I need another vacation.
Quote:
They also DIS-liked him well enough to let him go the next year.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

I hope you are all right, and the OL can piece it together and get a running game going... I would like nothing better than to be wrong about this one.

Oh, brother...

Zachary Crabtree
Martez Carter
Darius Leonard
Bryce Crawford

The woodMock '18
Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
Tuerk playing well would be huge for us given our need up front. One other interior lineman stepping up would give us a rock solid Oline.
The general perception is Slauson was the only OL playing well last year, which means four were not......so we add one solid player (Tuerk ? ha ha ha) and suddenly the OL is rock solid ????

Dunlap/Okung is a wash at best, Franklin is talented but unmotivated, Slauson was the OC but was just average, Fluker was cut, Barksdale is horrible. Tuerk is a complete unknown entity by the fans, as he hasn't played. I don't see anything close to rock solid.....at this point, OL is still a disaster.

GO BOLTS !
Old 04-22-2017, 07:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
The general perception is Slauson was the only OL playing well last year, which means four were not......so we add one solid player (Tuerk ? ha ha ha) and suddenly the OL is rock solid ????

Dunlap/Okung is a wash at best, Franklin is talented but unmotivated, Slauson was the OC but was just average, Fluker was cut, Barksdale is horrible. Tuerk is a complete unknown entity by the fans, as he hasn't played. I don't see anything close to rock solid.....at this point, OL is still a disaster.
You bleat and blather without once addressing the hypothetical I postulated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
You bleat and blather without once addressing the hypothetical I postulated.
I addressed your hypothetical on Tuerk being the key to a 'rock solid' OL, I laughed.....but let's say the unknown is really good.

Adding another OL guy, source being the draft I presume (I am hoping Robinson falls to us in rd 2), and suddenly TT has fixed the OL ?

Okung (marginal) Franklin (lazy) Tuerk (unproven) Slauson (average) Robinson (rookie)

I like moving forward, TT has to try something, but I really believe fixing the OL woes will be more complicated than the few moves you are hoping for.

GO BOLTS !
Old 04-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:

Your absolutely correct....we should forget adding playmakers to our team in a draft deep in talent at almost every position BUT oline. Instead, let's add a couple of rookies to the mix from one of the worst oline classes in a decade. That will make this team better.

Lamp, Ram, and Cam are the only guys who are probable instant upgrades to our current players....and none of them are top ten material. There is no "Trade down" button we can push, so we simply aren't going to be in a position in this draft to take them.

Reaching for needs is the kiss of death for this team. We need playmakers...special players who will lend this team some character, some identity...and raise the level of play of the guys around them. I believe in building the trenches too...but no matter how much you wish for it, the talent just isn't there this year.

Finally...Tuerk is an unknown? So are all this year's prospects, as far as being in the pros. Tuerk only falls to the third last year because of injury, and was actually a very solid and versatile prospect on tape. Add that he has had a year of NFL coaching and strength training, and you could argue he is at least as solid an addition to the starting lineup as ANY of this year's prospects...at least as far as immediate impact.

Thought about him in the third....
Screamed for him in the fourth...
Whooped when we stole him in the fifth...
My 2017 adopted bolt.....
Desmond King DB
Old 04-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I addressed your hypothetical on Tuerk being the key to a 'rock solid' OL, I laughed.....but let's say the unknown is really good.

Adding another OL guy, source being the draft I presume (I am hoping Robinson falls to us in rd 2), and suddenly TT has fixed the OL ?

Okung (marginal) Franklin (lazy) Tuerk (unproven) Slauson (average) Robinson (rookie)

I like moving forward, TT has to try something, but I really believe fixing the OL woes will be more complicated than the few moves you are hoping for.
I assumed you were criticizing the idea of NOT addressing the oline heavily in this draft...apologies. You may have a point about there needing to be an overhaul...my point, however, is that this draft likely won't help. Reaching like we did with Fluker will put us right back where we are now. I think we need to see how coaching impacts our line performance, and our young guys develop (Tuerk, Clark, Pulley) Maybe add a day three tackle project, and give Burwell a last hard look. Then I think our staff develops a game plan involving FA and draft to build the right unit.

But with this draft, I don't think you will see any oline selected by us on the first couple of days.

Thought about him in the third....
Screamed for him in the fourth...
Whooped when we stole him in the fifth...
My 2017 adopted bolt.....
Desmond King DB
Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

That wasn't the hypothetical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:24 AM
Veteran

The situation at G or C is not so worrying. I think Slauson, Franklin, Tuerk, Clark and Pulley can do the job. It's the tackle positions that scare me. Are the Chargers at ease with Okung, Barksdale, Hairston and Wiggins? What's the value of players like Burwell, Boyko or Johnston?
Even if the pick of Bosa seems a very good one, I think SD, excuse me, LA missed an opportunity last year to find the LT of the future.

Maniaque 5
Old 04-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Here's an interesting read from an ex-player, Stephen White.

The article is about Cam Robinson but he also has some interesting reads on Ramczyk, McDowell, Thomas, Barnett, Allen, and Garrett. I think he's pretty solid on his takes...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dra...ensive-linemen

Enjoy.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
They also DIS-liked him well enough to let him go the next year.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

I hope you are all right, and the OL can piece it together and get a running game going... I would like nothing better than to be wrong about this one.
The only thing guaranteed is that there are no guarantees.
IMO improving OL play is as much on Lynn, Meyer & the assistants as it will be on the players.
Capturing their hearts & minds, getting them to work as a cohesive unit would be huge.
We have the bodies to play well.
Adding more talent won't hurt but it isn't a complete answer.
When we had Martyball, the OL knew what was expected. They may not have been the most talented but they enjoyed pounding on the D. Hopefully Lynn will bring some of that to the game.