Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Friar Talk > Friars General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2016, 05:36 PM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince67 View Post
Kemp traded in the middle of a game last night. Weird...
Best trade yet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince67 View Post
Kemp traded in the middle of a game last night. Weird...
I didn't find that quite as offensive as trading Melvin Upton, Jr. to Toronto in the middle of a series against Toronto, and having Upton, Jr. come to bat as a Blue Jay against the Padres... (he had to drive to Lewiston, NY to get his Canadian work visa, and then drove back in time to pinch hit).
Old 08-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Hall of Famer

^^^ That was also strange.

The new pitcher (Cosart) we got from the Marlins is not looking good in his first outing tonight. Walked the first two batters and pitched to a full count on the third. Hopefully he gets better as the game goes on.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Didn't feel like starting a new thread. Jankowski is tearing up the base paths! It's like the reincarnation of Ty Cobb. A play I loved the other night was a double steal, starting with Jankowski on 2nd, Myers on 1st. Myers gets hung up in a pickle; Jankowski has already pilfered 3rd; pops up; sees the infielder with his back to him, and beats the throw Home, stealing home. Myers takes 2nd on the throw. 3 bases stolen. Reminds me of a long ago Little League play I was involved in: I'm on first, my teammate on 3rd. Two outs. I figure I'll take 2nd, catcher won't have the guts to throw through. He did. I'm now standing about 6 feet from 2nd base; 2nd baseman is temporarily paralyzed, doesn't reach out to tag me. I cup my hands around my mouth, yell, "Go!", and the guy on 3rd base wakes up and breaks for Home. I stay in the pickle, figuring, "Don't get tagged Out until he scores!" We were down by a run at the time, in a late inning. I not only don't get tagged "Out", I get back safely to 1st. The dam breaks, and the Ramblers score about another 8 runs. From a tense situation, to a laugher. Good times, good times!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Disliker View Post
Didn't feel like starting a new thread. Jankowski is tearing up the base paths! It's like the reincarnation of Ty Cobb. A play I loved the other night was a double steal, starting with Jankowski on 2nd, Myers on 1st. Myers gets hung up in a pickle; Jankowski has already pilfered 3rd; pops up; sees the infielder with his back to him, and beats the throw Home, stealing home. Myers takes 2nd on the throw. 3 bases stolen. Reminds me of a long ago Little League play I was involved in: I'm on first, my teammate on 3rd. Two outs. I figure I'll take 2nd, catcher won't have the guts to throw through. He did. I'm now standing about 6 feet from 2nd base; 2nd baseman is temporarily paralyzed, doesn't reach out to tag me. I cup my hands around my mouth, yell, "Go!", and the guy on 3rd base wakes up and breaks for Home. I stay in the pickle, figuring, "Don't get tagged Out until he scores!" We were down by a run at the time, in a late inning. I not only don't get tagged "Out", I get back safely to 1st. The dam breaks, and the Ramblers score about another 8 runs. From a tense situation, to a laugher. Good times, good times!
I am hopeful of the future (prob 2017) outfield platoon of Margot, Renfroe, Jankowski and Dickerson.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Experienced

The Padres are in a pickle, without a salary cap or a rich owner they will continue to be a small market team that the big market teams use to develop players for pilfering.
I don't care, I like watching the Eric Owens style of players come up and play the game right, Janikowski and Shimpf (sp) are fun to watch and Myers will be gone next year because he is showing he can stay healthy, play first and still hit.
Waiting for Renfroe to come up and Hedges to come back, we can dump Norris and Ramirez.... No one over 25 allowed on the roster...
Old 08-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirdsd View Post
The Padres are in a pickle, without a salary cap or a rich owner they will continue to be a small market team that the big market teams use to develop players for pilfering.
I don't care, I like watching the Eric Owens style of players come up and play the game right, Jankowski and Shimpf (sp) are fun to watch and Myers will be gone next year because he is showing he can stay healthy, play first and still hit.
Waiting for Renfroe to come up and Hedges to come back, we can dump Norris and Ramirez.... No one over 25 allowed on the roster...
From the early 20th Century, there has been a war between "inside baseball", i.e., the Ty Cobb style of base hits, stolen bases, and scratching out runs, and the "long ball" style of Home Run Baker, Babe Ruth, etc. Despite their losing record, I am enjoying the Padres' offense, which is an appealing mix of "inside baseball" (Jankowski style) and "long ball" (various surprising infielders like Shimpf, Solarte, and Ramirez have been hitting these Home Runs). Gee, if they had pitching, they'd be a contender. JANKOWSKI JUST STOLE HOME AGAIN! Fun, fun, fun!

Last edited by Raider Disliker; 08-07-2016 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Correct misspelling
Old 08-09-2016, 10:20 PM
Hall of Famer

I like how MLB is pondering reducing how many relief pitchers are allowed during a game. More and more now, teams go thru a lot of pitchers every game. Used to be you saw maybe 3-4 at the most. Nowadays, 7 pitchers is not that uncommon by the time a 9 inning game is over. HAHA, at least with teams like the Padres, this is true.

Last edited by Caslon; 08-11-2016 at 08:53 PM..
Old 09-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Rookie

sigh San Diego sports
Old 02-19-2017, 01:29 AM
PADS 2021 WS. I CALLED IT

Sounds like the Pads have agreed to a $3 million deal with Jared Weaver. Did someone say World Series?!?! The former Angels ace somehow found a sucker to offer him and his 84 mile an hour Fastball a Major league deal. On the plus side he takes the ball every 5th day and eats innings and tere's not really any young guys that are ready and deserving.
Another step closer to the #1 overall pick!