Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2005, 12:49 PM
rule12b

Default Jammer Rocks. . .

Since everyone seems so ready to beat on Jammer, I'm going to start this thread for those of us who think he is at a minimum good, and generally, excellent. (Moderators, feel free to condense all of the other negative Jammer threads to the end of this one Here are my reasons why QJ deserves credit:

1. He is in on every play. Watch the tape folks. Every play.
2. He has the physical size and skills that are, and should be, the envy of many other skilled CB's in the league, and uses them as follows:
a. He makes excellent open field tackles. Anyone ever seen him get juked one on one on a screen??? Almost never if not never. What you do see is QJ wrapping up the legs and ankles like a bear hug and making the stop.
b. He hits, HARD. At the line in press coverage, and in excellent run support.
c. He keeps up with the premiere receivers in the league. Harrison, Porter, Smith, you name it. Not only does he survive matching up week after week with opposing No. 1 receivers, but I'm betting a lot of those receivers don't look forward to it. He makes them work on every play, and smacks them at the line. Sorry, but the Colts, Atlanta??? He was shutting them down all day long (until of course our defensive wheels fell off at the end).

3. He does his job with only a decent pass rush, or worse AWFUL ('03) pass rush supporting him.

4. Other than Kiel, has never had decent safety support so he really cannot work on those "ball awareness" skills people carp about. You must watch the reciever when you have no over the top support. Take your eyes off him to look for the ball and he's GONE, open, and catching a ball where you aren't.

5. Lelie's catch at Denver was simply one that fell their way. QJ was there, in position and couldn't do much more than he did. Which points out the obvious, QJ only gets his name called when a play is made against him. That is how it is for DB's. Trust me, no one comes in wanting to throw at him all day long, but here and there, plays get made no matter who the DB is.

With a little pass rush, and safety support, our D will be complete, but he is hands down the best part of the secondary. If you understand football, you'll appreciate what QJ brings to the table. I'm glad we have him.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Chargers99

Jammer is good , when you are not on winning team year in and year out. Not to many players will get respect until the winning becomes regularly.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Well I know that there are some people who think because Jammer was picked at #5 overall (same as LT) that he should be the LT of CBs. Personally I think this guys gonna be great. But you must admit that although he does seem to be around the ball often and opposing QBs don't through to his area because he's got his man covered, he gives up a lot in terms of pass interferencea. Also, when the ball is thrown in his area, he doesn't seem to have the state of mind to look back and break up or pick off passes. But these things can be corrected through hard work and dedication during workouts and practices. The things he has: physicality, strength, speed and a nack for the ball are things that can't be taught. He just needs to refine his techniques, then he'll be an awesome CB.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Boltfan92153

I agree, for every 1 time he is beat, he shuts down the reciever much more plays. He had to play against andre johnson
Old 04-08-2005, 01:16 PM
drosso

Yes Jammer isn't bad... And some of our safeties do seem to always be two steps behind.

But, Jammer sometimes is unpredictable and seems to get alot of pass interference calls.

With a well balanced defense (pass rush, safeties) Jammer would be awesome.
Bottom line we need to get some other good players around him.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Veteran

This thread has my Endorsement. Jammer is going to be an all pro.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:24 PM
lu4449

FWIW, I also think Jammer has a huge upside and has been an asset to the team. He is doing very well now, and I expect him to do better in the future!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:50 PM
spysnipedis

Jammer is on almost every single play in the game. Makes the big plays too. Remember the Chiefs Game (1st one).

4th down, Chiefs ball, They throw down the middle and Jammer is right there and smashes the man and he drops the ball and guess what. that was the ball game.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:46 PM
boltzman3

Default Qj

my point exactly the great ones rarely get lost looking for the ball. it's what the DB is supposed to do.look back at the ball.thats why you see the contact from the corner , not called on many plays.BECAUSE the corner was looking back at the ball . jammer has all the other skills and athetic ability to be a great one. i don't care what you guys think. your wrong.. you MUST locate the ball when you play the deffensive back position , without losing pace with the receiver..... once jammer masters that he will be the best in the game. till then it's his weak point..i'm not bashing JAMMER. i love the fact that he's on our team. and he does a fantastic job . against the best receivers in the league.... but to say he does not have a problem looking back at the ball.and staying with the receiver...... then your blind to the facts.our young and talented deffensive back feild will be the envy of the league,very soon . training camp will reveil if jammer has mastered this ability.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:51 PM
ND48DC

If you think about, it's hard to remember many times were Jammer was beat or even thrown at. Now compare the # of times for Jammer to Sammy Davis. That shows either how good Jammer is, or how bad Davis is.