Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Default Anthony Lynn 2018 thread

Time to do a new one for the new year since the old one is dying. Let's start with the two most recent articles. One posted by me and the other by like54ninjas. Here's hoping we continue trending upward unlike what happened with McCoy.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/15/an...geles-chargers

Quote:
Twenty-six hours earlier, Lynn was standing on a practice field in Costa Mesa, Calif., in a navy blue sweatsuit, taking a team picture with the Los Angeles Chargers’ 2018 rookie class. When he broke down the huddle, he told them he’d be missing the final two days of mini-camp. “I have some unfinished business to handle this weekend,” he explained.
Lynn had suggested moving rookie camp one week earlier so he wouldn’t miss any time. But Chargers owner Dean Spanos and GM Tom Telesco had encouraged him to keep it as is—explaining to the rookies why he’d be gone, they told him, was a stronger message than any he could give on the practice field. Spanos offered to take Lynn, his wife and daughter on a private jet to Las Vegas Friday evening, right after the rookies’ afternoon walk-through.
Quote:
Lynn only has three rules for his players: No. 1, Protect the team. No. 2, No excuses. No. 3, Be on time. He decided it was time for him to follow his second rule. The same year he was hired to his first head-coaching job, it turned out, was the year he decided to re-enroll. The Chargers were still practicing in San Diego; Lynn would do football work in his office until 8 p.m. Then, he’d grab a warm turkey and ham sub with mayo at the sandwich shop up the road and return to his hotel to study for the rest of the night. His wife, Stacey, was back in New York where she works as a news anchor, and his kids were grown, so his personal life was mainly books. He’d spend his weekends studying at Starbucks. He used to order lattes with honey in the bottom, but he was drinking so many that he switched to cappuccinos. “A little bit lighter in calories,” he explains.
Quote:
If I start now, he told himself, maybe I’ll graduate by the time I’m 60. But he found ways to work ahead and maximize the time he had away from football. Last summer, he took a courseload of 13 credits, including an introductory interdisciplinary studies class, a public health course and a sociology class that focused on race and ethnic relations in America. During the five-week break between the team’s June mini-camp and the start of training camp, he worked ahead on an independent study and online classes offered during the fall, knowing that his focus would be on football when the season started. This spring, he scheduled four visits to the UNLV campus for his senior capstone project in between the key dates in the NFL calendar—combine, league meetings, free agency, draft.

Lynn kept his coursework quiet, telling only a handful of people how he was spending his free time. In some of his classes, he registered as A. Ray Lynn, in the hopes of maintaining some measure of anonymity. “I didn’t want anybody to know,” Lynn says. “A part of me is like, ‘What’s so admirable about a 49-year-old getting a degree?’ I’m a little bit embarrassed. I should have been a 22-year-old getting this degree.”

Telesco found out about a month ago, when Lynn casually mentioned that his graduation might conflict with rookie mini-camp. Telesco’s first reaction: Graduation? His second reaction: “I’m damn proud you’re our head coach.”
Quote:
The one who had prodded Lynn was his younger sister, Tabitha. The two of them were just 18 months apart and thick as thieves; when Tabitha’s junior prom date backed out the day of, Anthony secretly went to his house, informing him that he would be picking up Tabitha that night at 7 p.m. Sure enough, he was at their door at 7. Tabitha moved her family to Colorado during Lynn’s last few seasons with the Broncos, her husband working for Anthony’s construction company.

On May 8, 2000, Tabitha was driving back to Denver from a wedding in Dallas with her family when their car hit a wet spot on Interstate 25 and she lost control. She died instantly; her husband, son and daughter were seriously injured. “My son, he had promised her things,” Betty says. “They got together and promised each other things they would do. He promised her he would finish his degree, and he would help take care of her kids. That’s what’s making me so emotional today.”

Tabitha’s daughter, Martavius, was in Las Vegas for the graduation, a few days after the 18th anniversary of her mother’s death. Lynn has long been trying to encourage Tabitha’s son, Charles, to attend college. “Maybe after this,” Lynn says, “maybe it will help.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!

Last edited by Xenos; 05-31-2018 at 09:15 PM..
Old 05-31-2018, 08:18 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Thanks for posting this in the other thread Like54ninjas
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/31/lo...rs-union-nflpa

Quote:
Anthony Lynn will tell you he doesn’t know much about the 2018 Chargers yet. And so long as you understand that, he’ll concede that he did like what he saw when he looked out his office window during the first week of the team’s offseason program in mid-April.

Last year the players had to acclimate to an ’80s-style series of 200-, 300- and 400-yard gassers that strength coaches John Lott and Jonathan Brooks put them through, at Lynn’s direction. It was unconventional for this era, as well as raw and taxing. This year? Those same players just did them.

“The neat thing is it was so much smoother, watching the first week of offseason training, Phase I,” Lynn said from that office on Wednesday. “When guys came back, they knew exactly what to expect, and exactly what to do. Last year there was a lot of explaining why. You’re dealing with millennials now—they want to know why, they ask questions, they have Google; this year there was none of that. These guys, they fell in line. They knew what to expect.”

Accordingly, a lot is being expected of these Chargers in 2018. The longstanding franchise quarterback is still in place, with a raft of young talent around him—and that’s even after accounting for tight end Hunter Henry’s torn ACL. L.A.’s second team won six of its last seven to finish the 2017 season. Two of its divisional rivals are going through transition at quarterback, and the other has a new head coach. And, as Lynn indicated, continuity is a benefit.

It’s pretty different from last year, to be sure, when Lynn was new and the team was moving and the season started 0-4. So yes, the Chargers are one of those teams in ’18—the kind that was pretty impressive the year before, and won’t sneak up on anyone.

And they’re dealing with high expectations for the first time in a while. Lots of people think the Chargers are going to be pretty good, even if Lynn doesn’t quite get why. And he knows all his players must be hearing it.

“That’s scary,” he said, laughing. “I don’t know why everybody wants to crown us all of the sudden. I had someone in here say we have the second most talented roster in the league. I mean, really? Why would you think that? I know he was being nice, but that’s not even realistic, to say we have the second most talented roster when you look around the league. … We like our team, we really do. But right now, who in the hell doesn’t like their team? Everyone likes their team right now.”
And yes, I believe even the Cleveland Browns like their team right now.

Quote:
For Lynn, handling expectations is a balancing act. On one hand, he loves what the team did at the end of the year, coming together around the program they’d worked all year to build and against the natural adversity facing a relocating team. Obviously he’d be ecstatic if that unity carried over through 2018. On the other hand, he wants his players to start from zero—which is what those gassers represented.

“I don’t know if you recreate what you had last year—I think once you get that buy-in, and you can keep a nucleus of guys together, that becomes their standard, their expectation,” Lynn said. “And anybody new we bring on to this team, they get them caught up quickly—this is how we do things, this is what we’re about. And you just keep reemphasizing it.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!

Last edited by Xenos; 05-31-2018 at 09:16 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 03:55 AM
Power of 51

There are 3 things that caught my eye there.

The Buy In---guys HAVE to buy in, and Lynn is selling and re-selling it. Perfect.

Squashing the belief that they are great already. Keep them grounded.

You have to dial into the younger generation and Lynn has. Something I wonder if Gruden will struggle with in his return....................

Old 06-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post

The Buy In---guys HAVE to buy in, and Lynn is selling and re-selling it. Perfect.

You have to dial into the younger generation and Lynn has. Something I wonder if Gruden will struggle with in his return....................

From a distant view, I like Lynn's program. Any player that was less than fully committed last season could see themselves looking for work this season. Might explain why some players were not resigned, or pursued by TT in the off season.

It is a fine line between wanting to pump up the confidence, and getting a player too full of themselves.....Lynn will use the 'individual statistics are great, but this is a team sport, and you are part of team that has done nothing to date' perspective at some point, and it will be fair to say. It all gets much more difficult after they win.....

Connecting with these young kids can be a challenge, or it can be pretty fun. I made a comment to one of our players, Mete, about how I liked a picture he had posted on Instagram. He just looked at me a bit dazed, in disbelief that an old dinosaur like me even knew about Instagram....it was pretty funny. I suspect Gruden will be fine in this area.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post

To me really next to KC being most relevant, Gruden v. Lynn is a big storyline in the AFC West... Are the Chargers going to get swept by the Raiders this season and miss the PO's yet again..... Or are the Chargers coached by Lynn going to show they are something a little bit more than on paper the best team in the AFC going in before injuries hit, having yet to beat KC once or even a good team(big ?)

PS in regards to the "buying in" as fans on the outside looking in who really knows if that's true or not other than the players. To me buying in = PO's there really isn't an in between in failing to make the playoffs, we'll see how things unfold this season..?

Last edited by electricgold; 06-02-2018 at 08:07 AM..
Old 06-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Hall of Famer

Marty was one of my favorite Chargers coaches, playoff record aside. He always talked about winning the next game, not about records or "what if"s, just win the next one. He spoke to players with a lot of confidence about execution of basics and could physically show them what he wanted at most positions.
I remember Coryell telling us "there's no excuse for not winning the opener with an entire offseason to prepare for that game". Of course the other guys were preparing also but Don believed his team should be ready for them.
I liked the message. Win the next one. Sep 9 KC at LAC. Then the next.....

I'm not even slightly embarrassed about thinking we have a lot of talent & potential, we do.
That should never be the coach's message or in the player's minds. Work to improve, every day in every way. Prepare to win the next game.
Next Jan, if we can look back & we dominated in 19 games, there is time for a little trophy polishing then before we get ready for the next one.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgold View Post
To me really next to KC being most relevant, Gruden v. Lynn is a big storyline in the AFC West... Are the Chargers going to get swept by the Raiders this season and miss the PO's yet again..... Or are the Chargers coached by Lynn going to show they are something a little bit more than on paper the best team in the AFC going in before injuries hit, having yet to beat KC once or even a good team(big ?)

PS in regards to the "buying in" as fans on the outside looking in who really knows if that's true or not other than the players. To me buying in = PO's there really isn't an in between in failing to make the playoffs, we'll see how things unfold this season..?

'Buying in' is nothing more than a commitment to the system by the players. Making the PO's is a combination of many things: Winning (obviously), health, luck, talent.....and commitment as well.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgold View Post
The Raiders sweeping the Chargers? Oakland has one of the worst offseasons of all teams in the league.

The can't beat a good team thing is bound to be broken.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Hall of Famer

The Chargers ahouldn't be swept by anyone in AFCW.
KC has some electric players on offense with Hill & Hunt, the Charger destroyer HC Reid and a promising new starting QB. Their strength plays vs our strength, KC "O" v LAC "D".
Denver has a very good D, great pass rush & estimated improvement at QB. They deserve our respect.
Who knows how Oakland will do? We swept them last year and should have a better LAC team this year. They deserve our best beat down.

The Chargers need to improve their game across the board. Last year had a new HC & mostly new staff, new location in temporary facilities. This year there is greater familiarity between players & coaches and what we need to do & how we do it.
Getting our rushing offense on track and doing it by game one is critical. Feeney, Pouncey and Lamp will be major players along with the RBs & coaches. Whis needs to run a balanced offense for the most part. One hand washes the other regards run & pass.
Our biggest and only deficiency on defense was long gains by RBs. That needs to stop. Gus & staff can make some adjustments & the players know of and are not happy with the YPC allowed stat. We added speed in a healthy Brown & rookies James, Nwosu, White and
DT beef with Jones. A consistently healthy Perryman would be huge but is iffy.
We started OTAs a lot more smoothly and need to continue to build consistency & effort through mini-camp Jun 12-14, take a nice break and come to training camp in late July ready for work. Lynn & his coaches have a good plan but it'll take everyone.
I'm looking forward to it.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:20 AM
HOFer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
The Chargers ahouldn't be swept by anyone in AFCW.
KC has some electric players on offense with Hill & Hunt, the Charger destroyer HC Reid and a promising new starting QB. Their strength plays vs our strength, KC "O" v LAC "D".
Denver has a very good D, great pass rush & estimated improvement at QB. They deserve our respect.
Who knows how Oakland will do? We swept them last year and should have a better LAC team this year. They deserve our best beat down.

The Chargers need to improve their game across the board. Last year had a new HC & mostly new staff, new location in temporary facilities. This year there is greater familiarity between players & coaches and what we need to do & how we do it.
Getting our rushing offense on track and doing it by game one is critical. Feeney, Pouncey and Lamp will be major players along with the RBs & coaches. Whis needs to run a balanced offense for the most part. One hand washes the other regards run & pass.
Our biggest and only deficiency on defense was long gains by RBs. That needs to stop. Gus & staff can make some adjustments & the players know of and are not happy with the YPC allowed stat. We added speed in a healthy Brown & rookies James, Nwosu, White and
DT beef with Jones. A consistently healthy Perryman would be huge but is iffy.
We started OTAs a lot more smoothly and need to continue to build consistency & effort through mini-camp Jun 12-14, take a nice break and come to training camp in late July ready for work. Lynn & his coaches have a good plan but it'll take everyone.
I'm looking forward to it.
Have to say I think the faders are a team to not take lightly.
Their D, on paper, is much improved with the exception of the secondary. The potential on their Dline is scary.
Mack, Hurst, Irvin, Key, Hall, Ellis, Edwards Jr. That is an impressive potential rotation.

“The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe it.” Neil DeGrasse Tyson