Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2018, 07:01 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
While not taking anything away from the talent that LT displayed constantly, which is HOF level, I do think LT also enjoyed much better OL groups than Mathews or Gordon have had.
hahaha

Like I said... people became accustomed to LT and now think that the things he did were things that normal RBs can do.... thats part of the problem why RM had such a hard time here, we expected and demanded him to be LT. He was doomed for failure from the start.

I remember him saying he was pumped to be drafted by the Chargers because LT was his hero that he looked up to. I always wondered if he knew deep down that LT would also, in part, be his downfall.

MG3 and RM could have had the best Oline in football and they would still never do what LT did.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:07 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
Those we're the glory days eh? The Q was rockin on Sundays and LT was definitely fun to watch. Miss those days. The stiff arm in OT for the score against the Redskins one of 31 tds that season. The same stiff arm used for a td against the Rams. A hundred plus catch season with Brees at the helm. Leading the come from behind win against the Bengals.

Memories of a HOF. His speech surprised me on the authenticity and depth.
Not that LT isn't that kind of person. It wasn't typical of HOF speeches. He put his authentic heart into it in a time when the national climate is in conflict to say the least. Now, he's having fun on the NFL Network commentating and interviewing.
Yes sir! That stiff arm to the redskins was at Washington.... second game ever for me watching LT and the Chargers. Had the perfect view of that play, it's seared in my mind and will (thankfully) never go away. Also a long run he had at Buffalo, where some people around me were pissed and I said "Don't be mad, you're watching a one of time legend." And the people around me, sat down and you could tell the look on their face was "Damn, he's right. We should enjoy this."

I remember 2006 playing against the Broncos and watching it at my buddies house in the middle of a party and my buddy (being a Broncos fan) already knew what was going to happen and it would.... and nobody... NOBODY could stop LT!

As far as his speech... it was a great one. LT wore his emotions on his sleeve and would show his emotion everyday in games and practice... and while at first people applauded him, that turned to hatred towards the end of his tenure here, and that pissed me off.

Too many times fans here turn their backs on these players after they give it their all and then eventually it turns out they are human, and we just piss on them for that.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 PM
Hall of Famer

S/O to Coach Lynn for graduating! Congrats Coach!

Rivers: "We have the pieces to do something special"
Old 05-14-2018, 11:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
I strongly disagree with this statement. I don't think you realize how great LT really was if you think he enjoyed a better OL group than Mathews or Gordon. The 2001, 2002, and 2003 oline would make our current line look like future HOFs. It was that bad. 2004 and 2005 were probably when it started to become about even, and 2006 was when LT finally got an above average line.
lets see if I can name a few off the top of my head

Jason Ball, Vaughn Parker, Toniu Fonoti, Damien McCintosh, Courtney Van Buuren... Oline has never been a strong suit until that '06/'07 team. I think this year is as good as it gets since that 06 team
Old 05-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Great story about Anthony Lynn and getting his college degree.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/15/an...geles-chargers

Quote:
Twenty-six hours earlier, Lynn was standing on a practice field in Costa Mesa, Calif., in a navy blue sweatsuit, taking a team picture with the Los Angeles Chargers’ 2018 rookie class. When he broke down the huddle, he told them he’d be missing the final two days of mini-camp. “I have some unfinished business to handle this weekend,” he explained.
Lynn had suggested moving rookie camp one week earlier so he wouldn’t miss any time. But Chargers owner Dean Spanos and GM Tom Telesco had encouraged him to keep it as is—explaining to the rookies why he’d be gone, they told him, was a stronger message than any he could give on the practice field. Spanos offered to take Lynn, his wife and daughter on a private jet to Las Vegas Friday evening, right after the rookies’ afternoon walk-through.
Quote:
Lynn only has three rules for his players: No. 1, Protect the team. No. 2, No excuses. No. 3, Be on time. He decided it was time for him to follow his second rule. The same year he was hired to his first head-coaching job, it turned out, was the year he decided to re-enroll. The Chargers were still practicing in San Diego; Lynn would do football work in his office until 8 p.m. Then, he’d grab a warm turkey and ham sub with mayo at the sandwich shop up the road and return to his hotel to study for the rest of the night. His wife, Stacey, was back in New York where she works as a news anchor, and his kids were grown, so his personal life was mainly books. He’d spend his weekends studying at Starbucks. He used to order lattes with honey in the bottom, but he was drinking so many that he switched to cappuccinos. “A little bit lighter in calories,” he explains.
Quote:
If I start now, he told himself, maybe I’ll graduate by the time I’m 60. But he found ways to work ahead and maximize the time he had away from football. Last summer, he took a courseload of 13 credits, including an introductory interdisciplinary studies class, a public health course and a sociology class that focused on race and ethnic relations in America. During the five-week break between the team’s June mini-camp and the start of training camp, he worked ahead on an independent study and online classes offered during the fall, knowing that his focus would be on football when the season started. This spring, he scheduled four visits to the UNLV campus for his senior capstone project in between the key dates in the NFL calendar—combine, league meetings, free agency, draft.

Lynn kept his coursework quiet, telling only a handful of people how he was spending his free time. In some of his classes, he registered as A. Ray Lynn, in the hopes of maintaining some measure of anonymity. “I didn’t want anybody to know,” Lynn says. “A part of me is like, ‘What’s so admirable about a 49-year-old getting a degree?’ I’m a little bit embarrassed. I should have been a 22-year-old getting this degree.”

Telesco found out about a month ago, when Lynn casually mentioned that his graduation might conflict with rookie mini-camp. Telesco’s first reaction: Graduation? His second reaction: “I’m damn proud you’re our head coach.”
Quote:
The one who had prodded Lynn was his younger sister, Tabitha. The two of them were just 18 months apart and thick as thieves; when Tabitha’s junior prom date backed out the day of, Anthony secretly went to his house, informing him that he would be picking up Tabitha that night at 7 p.m. Sure enough, he was at their door at 7. Tabitha moved her family to Colorado during Lynn’s last few seasons with the Broncos, her husband working for Anthony’s construction company.

On May 8, 2000, Tabitha was driving back to Denver from a wedding in Dallas with her family when their car hit a wet spot on Interstate 25 and she lost control. She died instantly; her husband, son and daughter were seriously injured. “My son, he had promised her things,” Betty says. “They got together and promised each other things they would do. He promised her he would finish his degree, and he would help take care of her kids. That’s what’s making me so emotional today.”

Tabitha’s daughter, Martavius, was in Las Vegas for the graduation, a few days after the 18th anniversary of her mother’s death. Lynn has long been trying to encourage Tabitha’s son, Charles, to attend college. “Maybe after this,” Lynn says, “maybe it will help.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 05-31-2018, 08:14 AM
HOFer in Training

Really great article/interview with AL.
Tempered expectations and giving NO bulletin board material.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/31/lo...rs-union-nflpa

“The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe it.” Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Old 05-31-2018, 11:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
"That's scary," Lynn told The MMQB's Albert Breer this week. "I don't know why everybody wants to crown us all of the sudden. ... We like our team, we really do. But right now, who in the hell doesn't like their team? Everyone likes their team right now."
An 0-16 team?