Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
I went back and looked at Dane Brugler's comments and grades today.

He had Ronnie Harrison graded just a whisker behind Derwin.
Yeah, they both played very similar roles for their teams. Derwin is faster and that's why he gets the nod. But, IMO, they aren't #17 and #93 apart.

How'd you like Frank Ragnow going #20...?
4. Kalen Ballage RB
5. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo SAM
6. Andre Smith MIKE
7. Matthew Thomas WILL
Old 05-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Let's see how Derwin simmers as a pro. I along with many others think he is a slam dunk. Nothing is guaranteed and the draft is not an exact science.

Thanks for sharing your picks. We will all reconvene in a little awhile to see whose whiffed and hit on draft choices.

Question for you: Beach you we're pounding the table for Vita Vea as our number one for most of the pre-draft process. I noticed you switched to Wynn at the last second. What was the deciding factor on your board to make the change?

We agree Hercules developing into a pretty good linebacker. I agree with NFL draft scouts view that he should move to ILB. I see him translating into a solid player/ starter like Kawika Michell who played on that fabulous Giants defense that dethroned the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl in 07. Or dare I say it he reminds me of Seau's explosion and fearlessness. He's going to be good. It will be interesting to see if he translate well or flops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
6) Cedrick Wilson

Cantrell might turn out alright, and do think he's gonna make the team as our fifth wideout, albeit and per usual woulda gone in another direction, as thunk again that Wilson woulda been the perfect/ideal successor to Travis.

7) Hercules Mata'afa

this is prolly where I would gone Tony Adams in lieu of the Qberry, as loved his intangibles and really think he woulda made a good Charger, and seems his skill set was plenty solid as well.

U) Tony Adams, Tegray Scales, Lowell Lotulelei, Henry Mondeaux

woulda had no problem w/any of these guys making it into one of our seven picks, and really wish we put more emphasis on acquiring/stockpiling picks over the offseason (too bad 'bout the Dontrelle compensation).

again personally will not be surprised if (Lowell) Lotulelei turns into as good or better talent than Jones @DT, and that Scales outplays Nwosu @LB/OTTO.

and mostly just liked Mondeaux cuz I thought he'd mesh well w/Bosa on the Dline and as a backup there, albeit he's not too bad.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:22 AM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
Question for you: Beach you we're pounding the table for Vita Vea as our number one for most of the pre-draft process. I noticed you switched to Wynn at the last second. What was the deciding factor on your board to make the change?

We agree Hercules developing into a pretty good linebacker. I agree with NFL draft scouts view that he should move to ILB. I see him translating into a solid player/ starter like Kawika Michell who played on that fabulous Giants defense that dethroned the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl in 07. Or dare I say it he reminds me of Seau's explosion and fearlessness. He's going to be good. It will be interesting to see if he translate well or flops.
yeah.... woulda been real happy to see Hercules as a Charger, and yes.... seems like we had a position ready and waiting for him >> backup LEO/MIKE

and don't ever recall switching off Vea.... somewhere later in the process did give the nod to Wynn over Billy Price which is a bit of a tough call, albeit like Quenton Nelson, do think Price was not at his best when having to utilize what lateral agility he might possess, and.... can't say I wouldn't feel good 'bout Price @LG, as he sure seems like he's got more Dielman to him than most anyone I can remember in some time, and....

what I liked/love about Wynn besides his intangibles, is that he coulda been plugged in anywhere on the line, and given that both Okung and Pouncey have health issues, Lamp is (even more of) a ? and that peoples have their doubts/disdain 'bout Joe, couldn't see why Wynn didn't make a ton of sense.

I understand the Derwin selection, and w/Polamalu in our past, wouldn't want to be the GM that perhaps repeated that mishap, and so.... given that Vea was off the board, woulda prolly opted for Wynn, albeit would obviously been a ****storm for any GM that woulda made that decision.

ps. and yes again.... nice call on Ragnowrok Boltnut.... (do you think he'll be as good as Frederick ?)

sign FA NT Alan Branch.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:43 AM
& ramblin' man

dude was not so high on a coupla the Nwosu alternatives.... @least as suggested by eye

sign FA NT Alan Branch.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:12 AM
Hall of Famer

I think Wynn passed the eye test. Plays big in big games against the Bulldogs in the championship he was enveloping guys and taking fellas out of run plays on sweeps from his position @ tackle. Versatile...I think he can play tackle and be solid for the Patriots.

Ronnie Harrison is underrated in this draft. In the prospectus draft report you shared he and Derwin excelled in playing with power and ranked low when it comes to processing speed. Harrison though is pretty effortless in his play but gets there when the ball arrives. Good ball skills and hitter.

Bryan and Harrison going to the Jaguars? Not fair being I liked Taven. The Jaguars defense will be stacked and tough to play against. Both rookies won't be asked to do too much just observe the veterans on the team and contribute on special teams. Bryan I can see spelling Jackson on downs. It will be fun to watch these guys develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
yeah.... woulda been real happy to see Hercules as a Charger, and yes.... seems like we had a position ready and waiting for him >> backup LEO/MIKE

and don't ever recall switching off Vea.... somewhere later in the process did give the nod to Wynn over Billy Price which is a bit of a tough call, albeit like Quenton Nelson, do think Price was not at his best when having to utilize what lateral agility he might possess, and.... can't say I wouldn't feel good 'bout Price @LG, as he sure seems like he's got more Dielman to him than most anyone I can remember in some time, and....

what I liked/love about Wynn besides his intangibles, is that he coulda been plugged in anywhere on the line, and given that both Okung and Pouncey have health issues, Lamp is (even more of) a ? and that peoples have their doubts/disdain 'bout Joe, couldn't see why Wynn didn't make a ton of sense.

I understand the Derwin selection, and w/Polamalu in our past, wouldn't want to be the GM that perhaps repeated that mishap, and so.... given that Vea was off the board, woulda prolly opted for Wynn, albeit would obviously been a ****storm for any GM that woulda made that decision.

ps. and yes again.... nice call on Ragnowrok Boltnut.... (do you think he'll be as good as Frederick ?)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:04 PM
Hall of Famer

@ Beachcomber...

Ragnow will be good. As good as Fredrick...? We'll see.
4. Kalen Ballage RB
5. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo SAM
6. Andre Smith MIKE
7. Matthew Thomas WILL
Old Yesterday, 03:04 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
Yeah, they both played very similar roles for their teams. Derwin is faster and that's why he gets the nod. But, IMO, they aren't #17 and #93 apart.

How'd you like Frank Ragnow going #20...?
Take your triumphant victory lap.

I definitely heard the growing buzz for Frank one week before the draft. Minus, Derwin, I still would have gone for Wynn @ 17 due to perceived OT potential.

Nelson. Wynn. Ragnow. Daniels. Price...round 1 worthy...IMV...mostly because of fundamental soundness.

Ragnow appeared slow in space to me. He was actually VERY efficient and refined...what I missed. Lions are very happy.

Last edited by woodeye2000; Yesterday at 07:29 AM..
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Take your triumphant victory lap.

I definitely heard the growing buzz for Frank one week before the draft. Minus, Derwin, I still would have gone for Wynn @ 17 due to perceived OT potential.

Nelson. Wynn. Ragnow. Daniels. Price...round 1 worthy...IMV...mostly because of fundamental soundness.

Ragnow appeared slow in space to me. He was actually VERY efficient and refined...what I missed. Lions are very happy.
I never understood the Ragnow appeared slow in space thinking. Every time he pulled, he got well ahead of the running back and nailed someone on the second level. He wasn't just pulling into B gaps, like Price & Qberry; he pulled way the hell out wide. The 4.99 40 time at his pro day confirmed what we were seeing. He also had some explosion in his vertical/long jump. I thought he was a solid round 2 guy: strong as hell, mobile & knows the position.