Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Tee Martin got to practice for a real interview.
Zachary Crabtree
Martez Carter
Darius Leonard
Bryce Crawford

The woodMock '18
Old 01-14-2018, 05:11 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Yes, the teams will hire the guy that they want regardless of the Rooney rule.

However, what the Rooney rule achieves is allowing minorities to be interviewed, and the interview experience for the head coaching position is pretty much essential in order to grab one of the 32 rings. Lynn interviewed multiple times before he so impressed the Chargers brass that he was offered the job, and you'd have to believe that his name started circulating in NFL circles as a potential future head coach as a result of his "failed" interviews.

Before the Rooney rule was implemented, minorities rarely were given the chance to interview for the head coach position. Hence, (with the exceptions of Tony Dungy & Denny Green) they never gained interview experience, and the total number of African American head coaches remained stuck at two when the rule was implemented in 2002.

There is less of a need for the rule these days as the number of African American coaches has multiplied, but it still serves the purpose of getting the faces of those from different backgrounds in face-to-face interviews with largely white male billionaire owners.
Sooooooooo, the raiders are good guys because while Gruden was putting his name plate on the Head Coach's office door, the raiders were in the next room holding a fake interview class for two minorities.............................

Mr. Rooney would be so proud. I know the Rooney's history, and what they are about. That is NOT the spirit and intent of their rule.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 AM
Hall of Famer

The candidates didn't get due process which isn't what the rule is all about. According to Davis in the press conference, he was wooing Gruden for 6 six years. Powers will be what the powers will be.

On a side note, the Rooney rule is nothing new in other institutions. Colleges offer programs for minorities so that they support them once they get admission as full time students.

For instance and this doesn't pertain to my experience, Native Americans represent barely 1% of any college population, if they choose to enhance their life/ career chances by getting a higher education then they should be given that opportunity. That's all one can ask for is an opportunity. The rest is up to them as far as earning that degree.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Sooooooooo, the raiders are good guys because while Gruden was putting his name plate on the Head Coach's office door, the raiders were in the next room holding a fake interview class for two minorities.............................

Mr. Rooney would be so proud. I know the Rooney's history, and what they are about. That is NOT the spirit and intent of their rule.
No, they aren’t the “good guys” as they already had they probably weren’t even paying attention due to their predetermination of their head coach hire. That is why they are being investigated.

If Gruden was offered the job or contract terms were being discussed before they interviewed others, they violated the rule and should be punished.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:12 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
No, they aren’t the “good guys” as they already had they probably weren’t even paying attention due to their predetermination of their head coach hire. That is why they are being investigated.

If Gruden was offered the job or contract terms were being discussed before they interviewed others, they violated the rule and should be punished.
I don't have the date when it broke, but the media announced the contract terms and discussions way before it was official.

I like your term of predetermination, because it was predetermined. Sonny Boy Davis made it worse by admitting his years of freak fantasies about Gruden. And I do mean FREAK.
Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Is this investigation still ongoing? What's to investigate? If it's wrong,the raiders did it.

The nfl should hire me for their investigations.