Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2018, 09:16 AM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Bolt View Post
Man...I'm just not feeling it with regards to O TACKLES at 17...not this year. The other positions we could use upgrades at have so much more talent...like DT, LB, and maybe even Safety if we are lucky. I'm even in the tackle over interior camp, but would take Wynn, Hernandez, or even injured Price over any of the tackles in the first, purely from a talent standpoint. The OT you get in the third is gonna be pretty close to what you get in the first IMO. I think OT is a huge priority...but I think we can address it just as effectively outside the first round, and maybe even outside of the draft, while using 17 on a significant talent.
This has been my conundrum in each of my mocks... Is there a tackle in the 1st that warrants the 17 overall pick in light of the plethora of elite talent on D? I think Williams is that guy... but if Edmunds or James are there... then you have to take them. If it comes down to Evans or Williams... which it likely will... then what to do? There is a lot of 2nd tier talent at ILB and OL in this draft too... so trading down into the mid-20s to pick up a 2nd rounder or high 3rd rounder is very appealing. Hernandez, Vea, Vander Esch... a lot of names start becoming interesting in the mid 20s with the extra pick. Heck, Connor Williams might still be available if we traded down. Without a trade down, there are still a lot of options depending on what you do in the 1st.

1) Williams, 2) Price, 3) Jefferson

1) Evans, 2) Rankin/Crosby/Miller, 3) Ragnow/Clapp

These drafts above assume that we have gotten Star, Poe or Richardson in FA. If not, then Vea in the 1st, Phillips or Nandi in the 2nd and Shepard in the 3rd or 4th needs to be considered. Aside from QB, DT is the position with the most talent in FA this year. PK is right behind that... TT could really diminish our holes before the draft if he signs a DT and a PK.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
This has been my conundrum in each of my mocks... Is there a tackle in the 1st that warrants the 17 overall pick in light of the plethora of elite talent on D? I think Williams is that guy... but if Edmunds or James are there... then you have to take them. If it comes down to Evans or Williams... which it likely will... then what to do? There is a lot of 2nd tier talent at ILB and OL in this draft too... so trading down into the mid-20s to pick up a 2nd rounder or high 3rd rounder is very appealing. Hernandez, Vea, Vander Esch... a lot of names start becoming interesting in the mid 20s with the extra pick. Heck, Connor Williams might still be available if we traded down. Without a trade down, there are still a lot of options depending on what you do in the 1st.

1) Williams, 2) Price, 3) Jefferson

1) Evans, 2) Rankin/Crosby/Miller, 3) Ragnow/Clapp

These drafts above assume that we have gotten Star, Poe or Richardson in FA. If not, then Vea in the 1st, Phillips or Nandi in the 2nd and Shepard in the 3rd or 4th needs to be considered. Aside from QB, DT is the position with the most talent in FA this year. PK is right behind that... TT could really diminish our holes before the draft if he signs a DT and a PK.

The answer to your question is easy..... No

Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
Yeah, I think Williams, Brown, and McGlinchey will become LT's in the NFL. Yes, I think they are also as good as Vea, Payne, and Hurst. Do you take DT's, who will receive 40% of the defensive snaps, over RT/LT's that will receive 100% of the offensive snaps...?

Do you take Tyrel Crosby or Jamarco Jones over Harrison Phillips in the 2nd round...?
Do you take Brandon Parker over Frank Ragnow or Rashaad Penny in the 3rd round...?

IMO, the DT, RB, and LB classes (all of which we need) are far deeper than the OT and OC classes this year.

Hubbard, Fleming and James are all mediocre OT's that will get over-paid in FA. I think the DT free agents will be better and less expensive. I'd take Beau Allen over all of them. And Lynn said they would be apt to find a DT in free agency.
Just...no. Does no one see this? Sadly, this is one of the worst drafts in OT drafts in recent memory....but oddly stacked in second tier talent at that position. This is the year we could land a good RT in the 3rd round...but talent wise, it's gottta be DT or LB in the first. Maybe even IOL...guys...listen to the vibe...nobody feels good consistently about any prospect in the first round at OT....there is a reason for that...they all carry risks.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:18 AM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Just...no. Does no one see this? Sadly, this is one of the worst drafts in OT drafts in recent memory....but oddly stacked in second tier talent at that position. This is the year we could land a good RT in the 3rd round...but talent wise, it's gottta be DT or LB in the first. Maybe even IOL...guys...listen to the vibe...nobody feels good consistently about any prospect in the first round at OT....there is a reason for that...they all carry risks.
I guess I would just say I disagree about Williams. He was projecting elite going into last year and got hurt. He came back, and while he didn't set the world on fire... he still didn't give up a sack at less than 100%. His 2016 campaign was VERY impressive and I give him gamer points for sticking it out for a team that was not going anywhere. That being said, I am all for Evans at 17. I am not sure why Vea is considered a great prospect at 17 if Williams is not. Vea does not grade nearly as high as Shelton did coming out... and he has not impressed as of yet... although playing for Belicheat won't hurt. I guess I am saying that if you all want to knock this OT class for its lack of 1st round talent... then I think DT should go right along with it.... because I see a lot of 2nd and 3rd round guys at that position.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Agreed. I would even bite the bullet on Price waiting for his recovery, before drafting Connor. Others are enamored with Connor's '16 tape.

Price, Daniels, Hernandez and Wynn are such clean prospects. I like the idea of putting a glass eater next to Okung.

The only criticism I have of these dudes is on Hernandez, the dude I am touting. He gets his hands outside too much in pass pro. That is it.

I could live with Corbett at 48 too.
jordan brailford EDGE okstate
dante olson LB mont
charles omenihu DL tex
anthony ratliff-williams WR ncar
josh oliver TE sjstate
Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I would prefer getting both OT and OC/OG through the draft. I'd get an OT in the 1st round because I think they could transition to LT once Okung's contract is up... if not sooner. I also believe an OC/OG could be drafted in the 3rd round... maybe 4th if Feeney moves to OC. Drafting these guys let's us keep salary cap down, rather than paying FA prices. Typically, teams are letting OL players go to FA because they're asking too much or are not that effective... neither of which I like.
I'm as big of a "fix the trenches" guy as there is, but I don't think they use two of the top 3 draft picks on the OL again for the second year in a row. I can see them using 2 of the 7 picks, but one will be high and one will be developmental.

I expect one of those two positions to come from trade or FA.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Franchise View Post
I'm as big of a "fix the trenches" guy as there is, but I don't think they use two of the top 3 draft picks on the OL again for the second year in a row.
A lot of people are ignoring this.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:43 PM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Yeah, I think Williams, Brown, and McGlinchey will become LT's in the NFL. Yes, I think they are also as good as Vea, Payne, and Hurst. Do you take DT's, who will receive 40% of the defensive snaps, over RT/LT's that will receive 100% of the offensive snaps...?

Do you take Tyrel Crosby or Jamarco Jones over Harrison Phillips in the 2nd round...?
Do you take Brandon Parker over Frank Ragnow or Rashaad Penny in the 3rd round...?

IMO, the DT, RB, and LB classes (all of which we need) are far deeper than the OT and OC classes this year.

Hubbard, Fleming and James are all mediocre OT's that will get over-paid in FA. I think the DT free agents will be better and less expensive. I'd take Beau Allen over all of them. And Lynn said they would be apt to find a DT in free agency.
yes am taking a DT all day.... the position that wasn't getting snaps was LB.... we have a hole in the run game, and me thinx it starts up the middle on the line.

and again personally have no love for Harrison Phillips and do like Crosby, talent and intangibles wise, and do see Jamarco as a fairly viable selection, albeit am not taking any of 'em as they all have some risk compared to the OC prospects that are a lot more appealing to me, and ditto for a DB or LB after that.

Barksdale is part of a line that produced a 1k runner, a receiver w/over 100 catches and allowed the fewest sacks, and.... as you mention, our D is great in scoring defense and red zone D.... don't think it's so b & w, and personally speaking am set on Vea, and for better or worse, and am not taken by any of the OTs, albeit am down for a C/OG in the first or second round.

and Ragnow/Penny are likely round two selections and Brandon Parker perhaps not 'til day three, and again.... none of them are on my wish list.

and just like you're set on an OT, am locked in on Vea, a player type and position that apparently we don't view as intrinsic to our D, and.... have no problem waiting on LB and/or RB.

and would prolly agree w/your mediocre observation.... there's always wait 'til Andre Di!!ard....

Old 03-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Franchise View Post
I'm as big of a "fix the trenches" guy as there is, but I don't think they use two of the top 3 draft picks on the OL again for the second year in a row. I can see them using 2 of the 7 picks, but one will be high and one will be developmental.

I expect one of those two positions to come from trade or FA.
A continuing effort to build OL makes total sense if we're getting great players. The object is to build a great OL now while we have the rest of the offense.
That said, I'd probably take OL one of the 1st two picks, BPA DT or LB the other.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Agreed. I would even bite the bullet on Price waiting for his recovery, before drafting Connor. Others are enamored with Connor's '16 tape.

Price, Daniels, Hernandez and Wynn are such clean prospects. I like the idea of putting a glass eater next to Okung.

The only criticism I have of these dudes is on Hernandez, the dude I am touting. He gets his hands outside too much in pass pro. That is it.

I could live with Corbett at 48 too.
Dominate on the interior OL now. Go for a great 2018. Worry about OT depth with FA or a later pick.