Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Was this a good move by the Raiders
Yes 18 60.00%
No 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM
"Lightning Strike In LA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
What I mean by who cares is I think he's a liability in coverage. I think we can take advantage of that. - Simple, huh? He is a hard hitter, but he gets beat too often. Don't get yourself all caught up in the big hit stuff. Those "big hits" occur about once per game but teams will be passing the ball about 30 times per game and he'll be beat a lot more than that once per game big hit. There are a few Safeties that can lay the wood and cover well but he's not one of them. If we had signed DD, I would have been disappointed in AJ.

I bet you hit the panic button when the raiders signed Moss too.
are you serious so you rather have hart in there instead of a proven player? LOL well thats your opinion and thats fine. And about the moss thing actually im not gonna sit here and lie like i know many did, i was actually kinda worried when the Faiders did get moss yeah why would i not be. He was playin great before the Vikes traded him to oakland.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbolt View Post
Im not sayin that DD is still great, but what im sayin is that he would still make a good Solid player for a team in need of a solid VET.
They have a solid vet in McCree - with vets Jue and Hart competing with rookie Weddle for the other spot.

The Chargers play a defensive scheme that requires the safeties to be interchangeable. Both safeties need to have good coverage skills.

DD is as far from an interchangeable safety as you can find. He's a pure run stuffing strong safety who was weak in coverage before he seriously injured both legs in his 30s. And he still can't run yet.

I can't imagine a worse fit for DD than the Chargers - and I can't imagine a worse fit for the Chargers than trying to stick the square peg Darius into their round hole safety position.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 PM
versus you

This move is great for locker room leadership at best. when I try to come up with our vocal leader on defense, Warren Sapp was the only one who came to mind. Plus, that secondary is young, they need a veteran.

Plus, Tomlinson, Johnson & Henry. Nuff said. Our run defense is our biggest weakness and Darius will be best used to prevent one of those three, as well as Turner, from turning a 12 yard gain into a 52 yard gain. 12 yards on occasions is not as bad as a 52 yard run that's either a TD, gets them in the red zone or a simple TD.

Now if he can stop Tomlinson from throwing a TD, then it's gold lol.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance, Inc. View Post
This move is great for locker room leadership at best. when I try to come up with our vocal leader on defense, Warren Sapp was the only one who came to mind. Plus, that secondary is young, they need a veteran.

Plus, Tomlinson, Johnson & Henry. Nuff said. Our run defense is our biggest weakness and Darius will be best used to prevent one of those three, as well as Turner, from turning a 12 yard gain into a 52 yard gain. 12 yards on occasions is not as bad as a 52 yard run that's either a TD, gets them in the red zone or a simple TD.

Now if he can stop Tomlinson from throwing a TD, then it's gold lol.
He's a far better fit for the Raiders - who need help against running offenses. They lack a veteran presence in a secondary that has a lot of talent.

Jeremy Green projects that he'll be the nickel safety - backing up Schweigert & Huff and playing during obvious run situations. That's my assessment as well - provided that he recovers from his injuries, he's still solid against the run but a huge liability against the pass.

That's not what the Chargers needed. They don't need assistance stopping the run. They need coverage safeties at both safety positions.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:14 PM
LB? No. Force of Nature

I think this was a stupid move

btw, I don't know if it was mentioned because I didn't read through the thread --but what S positions are DD and Huff (assuming they win the jobs) predicted to play? (One article said Huff is a bigger investment than Stu S. so he's likely to play regardless, but he's got the skills of a SS like DD ----even though he IS the SS now, I see him as more of a ball hawk --wasn't he a CB in college?)

Quote:
Not really what you tell me about sean taylor and brian dawkins ehh??
They've both got pretty good ball skills (Dawkins' are never noticed, and Taylors are developing like he is a player) --the big hits just make it onto highlight reels

Member of the Jammer Anti-Defamation League 23
Member of the OFFICIAL Mike Scifres Fan Club (thread)