Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Shock and Awe

Question

Could Anderson switch to 3/4 OLB? He does have really good length. But at this point in time that's about all he has going for him.

He's pretty slow. That would be helped slightly if he lost weight and got down to about 260, but who knows how much. A big asset of his right now is strength. Would that disappear if he lost weight? I also wonder if he has the hips, agility, and speed to really bend the edge and challenge tackles along those dimensions. He seems to do best with just brute strength, persistence , and anchor.

So who knows if he would do well, I think he can be good as a DE though and that's where I'm projecting him.

One thing I find interesting is that I sometimes wonder how he is able to generate pressure. Without a blatent move he will somehow get by his man and at least make the qb nervous. He's very strong, and I think his length gets the better of some linemen. It looks like he just plain throws them off the block. Right now his forte is run defense and setting the edge, but I think he has yet to really develop his potential if he worked on his explosivessness, handwork, and technique.

He's a very smart player who seems to understand what the QB or offense wants to do and so he puts his body in the best position to make the play. This manifests itself by him maintaining very sound gap awareness and not over pursuing the QB or taking poor angles. On at least 1 sack the tackle blocking him literally gave up on the play because the QB was running away and outside the pocket, Anderson ran to a spot on the field maintaining containment and when the QB tried to switch fields to escape near side pressure Anderson smashed right into him. Smart heads up football.

There's not a lot of sexy when it comes to Henry Anderson. I don't think he will test well at the combine (even if he is strong, he's too long to put up big numbers on the bench and I think he will do poorly at most every other drill), but he gets the job done. He's a project with some obvious deficiencies, but he possesses potential, which is why he might last until the 6th where he'd be a great get.
3. Christian Westerman - OG/C - Arizona State
4. Dean Lowry - 34DE - Northwestern
5. Robby Anderson - WR - Temple
6a. Jatavis Brown - ILB - Akron
6b. Victor Ochi - 34OLB - Stony Brook
7. Darrell Greene - OG - San Diego State

Last edited by ShockTreatment; 02-16-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Thank you CMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
ShockTreatment’s Mock v 1.0, 1-24-15

Brandon Scherff - OT/OG - Iowa
Sammie Coates - WR - Auburn
Donovan Smith - OT/OG - Penn State
Jeff Heuerman - TE - Ohio State
Sean Mannion - QB - Oregon State
Derrick Lott - DT - Chattanooga

I'll come back and add later, if I have time. Just posting this up now.

Thanks for your comments in advance.
How about Deontay Greenberry instead of Coates?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Hall of Famer

Good read. Good mocks. Shocker, I find myself gravitating towards Scherff (will he actually be there?!?) or La'el. Very strong. Guard or tackle. Another possibility is Donovan, later. He did go from bad to pretty good @ SRB. Another option would be Ali Marpet C-OG. These guys could help with our swing tackle issue. Scherff and La'el are day one starters.

DownLow, I see what you did there. David Johnson H-back, serious upgrade over David Johnson H-back. Can Iowa guy block? He can run and catch. Good size. He kinda solves our power back issue. I am stealing this idea.

AirForce, I don't know what to think about WR. There are too many directions to go. Give it a week and Dorsett will be top 15.

BTW, I highly recommend Emory Hunt's breakdown on WR's, at Football Gameplan. He covers an amazing array of prospects, big and small, from schools, big and small. His ideas are different-but a great viewing. You will find a late round WR prospect you like. My favorite is Kenny Cook. The dude has the strongest hands I've ever seen. Chris Carter? Anquan? He catches everything.

Last edited by woodeye2000; 02-16-2015 at 08:16 PM..
Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 AM
Shock and Awe

Haven't looked at greenberry or David Johnson.

I think scherff can definetly be there. I don't think he is being looked at as a T, although I'm sure teams will try him there. I think he is mostly being considered for G, so that might drop him a little.

That is perfect for the Chargers because we need a good tackle and guard, so wherever he fits best we have the need. And I'm not opposed to drafting a guard high if he's going to instantly upgrade our line. I think Scherff can do that. As much of a guarantee at guard as you will find.

I'm warming to Collins. He's the only linemen beside scerff and clemmings I'd go for.at 17 and be happy with. Even then, if clemmings and scherff are gone at 17, we may want to look at another position for BPA, but I wouldn't hate taking La'el.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by ShockTreatment; 02-16-2015 at 10:00 AM..
Old 02-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Let Me Be Your Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Good read. Good mocks. Shocker, I find myself gravitating towards Scherff (will he actually be there?!?) or La'el. Very strong. Guard or tackle. Another possibility is Donovan, later. He did go from bad to pretty good @ SRB. Another option would be Ali Marpet C-OG. These guys could help with our swing tackle issue. Scherff and La'el are day one starters.

DownLow, I see what you did there. David Johnson H-back, serious upgrade over David Johnson H-back. Can Iowa guy block? He can run and catch. Good size. He kinda solves our power back issue. I am stealing this idea.

AirForce, I don't know what to think about WR. There are too many directions to go. Give it a week and Dorsett will be top 15.

BTW, I highly recommend Emery Hunt's breakdown on WR's, at Football's Gameplan. He covers an amazing array of prospects, big and small, from schools, big and small. His ideas are different-but a great viewing. You will find a late round WR prospect you like. My favorite is Kenny Cook. The dude has the strongest hands I've ever seen. Chris Carter? Anquan? He catches everything.
That is the $100,000 question. He wasn't asked to block much since he was a good receiver and played in a spread attack. However, at times he would play lead blocker for the backup tailback. He seems aggressive and welcomes contact.
I forsee a role for him similar to what Tolbert was for the Chargers. Receiving/3rd Down H-back with an ability to be the lead ball carrier. I'm not sold on him as a great blocking H-back yet though.
David Johnson > David Johnson
4. Demontae Kazee - CB - SDSU
5. TBD
6. TBD
7. TBD

Last edited by KeepItOnTheDL; 02-16-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
All-Pro

Duke Johnson would be our best playmaker. Health issues are a concern and they rode the **** out of him but he's a playmaker.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
This is not a shot at you SJ, but is anyone else amazed at how quickly the media killed this horse? I mean, it took like two days of sports talk and I'm completely fatigued on the story and I don't even think the jokes are funny anymore. Well done, espn.
They pick and choose I don't trust any media anymore.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsnfsu View Post
Duke Johnson would be our best playmaker. Health issues are a concern and they rode the **** out of him but he's a playmaker.
Duke's a good back. Very well rounded. But if you define the 'power' attribute of a back to be his ability to plow into would-be tacklers, get additional yards after contact, grind through trash, and punch the defense in the gut (typified by say Marshawn Lynch as a contemporary example), then I think Duke lacks in this area. Don't get me wrong, he can gain yards after contact, but he mostly does it by being slippery rather than powerful. We already have Duke's skill set covered by Woodhead, Oliver, and Brown. Why do we need a 4th back that does the same job as 3 others on the roster?

Mathews has the ability I'm talking about, but his body can't cash the check his running style writes. This is why if we do take a back, we need one that is going to make the defense wince when they cover the gaps. Obviously you want that same back to be able to catch, pass block, etc., but we need a grinder we can count on every Sunday.

Gurley or Ajayi would do that for us if you want a rb in the early rounds. Kemp, let me know if I'm leaving anyone out. Those are the two guys I can confidently say would deliver in this area.

Last edited by ShockTreatment; 02-16-2015 at 12:45 PM..
Old 02-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Green text is the worst

Moving Anderson to OLB would make no sense to me. I don't think his skillset is right for it at all. And on the other side of that coin, I think he would be a very effective 34DE. I'm actually way higher on him than Shock. I think 3rd round would be nice value for him. Can't see him there in the 6th personally.

I understand what's been said about Duke. He's not the hammer that our backfield lacks. I agree with that. However, I think his elite quicks, instincts, and speed are far different than anything we have at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Shock and Awe

I'm high on him too actually. I'm just hoping he falls into the bargain bin from teams jumping on other players and a bad combine.

I hope Goldson falls too due to size. Kid can play. Let TT try to collect the smallest secondary in the NFL? So long as they stay in the hip pocket of every receiver they guard and climb on Weddle's shoulder for the pick we good.

Last edited by ShockTreatment; 02-16-2015 at 04:34 PM..