Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Yeah, but then I would argue that Smith sucks too.
I wouldn't call my post a ringing endorsement of Smith
Old 09-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
I wouldn't call my post a ringing endorsement of Smith
Nope! But since that one year with Harbaugh, many have convinced themselves that Smith is a better than average QB.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:24 PM
All-Pro

It's not like Carr had much to work with last year. And it was his rookie season. Way too early to write him off as a bust.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Green text is the worst

He had excellent protection going for him.

But a lot of rookie QB's have had little to work with on bad teams. None to my knowledge have gone on to be successful after being as bad as Carr was in year one.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
He had excellent protection going for him.

But a lot of rookie QB's have had little to work with on bad teams. None to my knowledge have gone on to be successful after being as bad as Carr was in year one.
Kemp, are you so quick to forget how bad Drew Brees was his first couple years? Then, when the Bolts drafted Rivers, suddenly Brees got a fire lit and had a good season. Don't write off Carr just yet. Now he's got Cooper and a new coach, and I think the Raiders could go 8-8.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
Kemp, are you so quick to forget how bad Drew Brees was his first couple years? Then, when the Bolts drafted Rivers, suddenly Brees got a fire lit and had a good season. Don't write off Carr just yet. Now he's got Cooper and a new coach, and I think the Raiders could go 8-8.
Brees was better than Carr his first year as a starter. And even then, for every Brees there are a boatload of flops.

The Raiders are still a disaster in their back 7 on defense, and I think their running game will continue to stink. That and a bad QB will cap them at 6-10.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Brees was better than Carr his first year as a starter. And even then, for every Brees there are a boatload of flops.

The Raiders are still a disaster in their back 7 on defense, and I think their running game will continue to stink. That and a bad QB will cap them at 6-10.
2014 Derek Carr: 3270 yds., 21 TD's, 12 interceptions, rating 76.6
2002 Drew Brees: 3284 yds., 17 TD's, 16 interceptions, rating 76.9
(Then in 2003, Brees did worse, with 2,108 yds., 11 TD's, 15 picks, 67.5 rating--now you have to admit, that's a bad year.)

Both Carr and Brees had very similar rookie seasons, with a slight edge to Carr on TD to interception ratio. I'm telling you, now that Carr has a true #1 WR in Cooper, we can't take the Raiders lightly. I still think they could go 8-8.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...757/derek-carr

http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats

Last edited by topcat4477; 09-07-2015 at 08:26 PM..
Old 09-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Green text is the worst

Carr's 5.5 YPA and sub 60% completion despite a paltry depth of target are epically bad. Classic QB rating has been improved upon. QBR is a better indicator.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:56 AM
Marion Butts

Quote:
Carr's 5.5 YPA and sub 60% completion despite a paltry depth of target are epically bad. Classic QB rating has been improved upon. QBR is a better indicator.
Brees in 2003 had 5.9 YPA and a sub 60% completion pct.

I also laugh that QBR is a better indicator. ESPN won't even give out the formula to QBR. We don't even know what Brees' QBR was in 2001-2005 because ESPN won't tell us.

-Mario Lopez
Old 09-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
Brees in 2003 had 5.9 YPA and a sub 60% completion pct.

I also laugh that QBR is a better indicator. ESPN won't even give out the formula to QBR. We don't even know what Brees' QBR was in 2001-2005 because ESPN won't tell us.
Ok, well I guess in my opinion I find QBR to be a better reflection of reality. There's no objective way to prove that, but I find that it doesn't have as much of a problem inflating the perception of poor QB's like traditional passer rating. So I guess you can laugh at that, and I can laugh at the idea that the latter is a better indicator, and we can have ourselves a good ol' time.

Remembering Brees as a young player, I thought he was better than Carr as a rookie. Carr's stats are inflated by checking down for small gains on 3rd and long. Completions that the defense gave him because they would result in a punt anyways. He can't handle pressure (a carryover from college).

Even if you consider Brees a valid comp, the odds of guys starting that bad and ending up to be good are terrible. Take Brees as one example and the instances are still very few and far between. I'm very comfortable saying that Carr stinks and that he'll never be even average.

I also fail to understand why the Raiders are getting so much love this preseason. They have one impact player on defense, a bad QB, and a poor running game. They're one of the worst teams in the league.