Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-06-2016, 11:35 PM
The Moekid's Avatar
The Moekid The Moekid is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,400
Default NFL Ratings Down

Has the NFL gotten too greedy with Thursday, Sunday and Monday night games? Are the games too dull? Too many injuries to star players? Presidential elections? A combo of all of the above? Whatever the reason tv ratings are way down on the night games (mnf is nearly 20% down), flat on Sunday's and way down among 18-34 year old males. We may have reached the saturation point.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj.c...?client=safari
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-06-2016, 11:49 PM
Bolt4Life's Avatar
Bolt4Life Bolt4Life is online now
Twitter: @Vrabel56
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oceanside
Posts: 20,847
Default

My thoughts:

1) Not everyone wants to see these NFL player's political opinion on the football field. This can be discussed more in the "Colin kneels" thread.

2) The NFL is ruining the fun of football. Part of football is hating your opponent. Your opponent slaps you in the face figuratively with a good play then celebration, you come right back and slap him harder. Seeing the 49er player tonight gain an extra yard, Cardinal player gets in his face, 49er player flexes, so 49er player gets a penalty for taunting. Stop ruining the game NFL. We already lost group celebrations and extended celebrations to the likes of Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson used to do.

3) The more people I talk to at work the more I hear, "Man, Vegas had to have their hand in that." Keep in mind, where I work, there are only a couple Chargers fans. These are just various NFL fans. It seems like the referees get too involved and the 'good' story seems to happen too often. Is there something there? None of us know. I just have heard a lot more people questioning things with the referees in regards the Vegas lately.


I'm still watching every Chargers game and getting emotionally involved in the game. I still root for certain teams to lose. Part of the reasoning is my distain for other fan bases. They are such 'jerks' in our stadium it makes me root against a team so I can think about those fans. When my dad and I first got season tickets, it wasn't as vile as it is now-a-days.

I will say though, I don't watch every Sunday like I used to as much. I know a large part of it is the Chargers have been out of it but the other part is partly because of reason #3 above. The referees have too much control to manipulate games. Look at Andrew Luck getting bailed out 5 times on failed 3rd down attempts. Can't let Andrew go 0-3. I in no form believe players are in on it. I've known too many Chargers players to believe that. These guys are way more banged up than the average person knows. They put their bodies on the line far too much to be the WWE. After games they are far too emotional (except Cromartie. That is a story for another time I have after the 2009 playoffs loss.) I do believe the NFL tries to sway games through their refs (Defensive holding, anyone?) either for stories or Vegas (See Chargers vs Steelers playoff game. We lost fair and square. Look up the very last play of the game and how it affected the Vegas books.) Go players! Overcome those refs! Anytime anyone brings up any possible manipulation by refs, there is some 'smart guy' who says wear the tin foil hat. Har har har ahead of time.

Last edited by Bolt4Life; 10-06-2016 at 11:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2016, 12:10 AM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is offline
<< . . . . . . .
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 20,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
Has the NFL gotten too greedy with Thursday, Sunday and Monday night games? Are the games too dull? Too many injuries to star players? Presidential elections? A combo of all of the above? Whatever the reason tv ratings are way down on the night games (mnf is nearly 20% down), flat on Sunday's and way down among 18-34 year old males. We may have reached the saturation point.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj.c...?client=safari
Ahem. Who was it in here a couple of years ago that was referencing Mark Cuban's warning that "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered" ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-2016, 12:21 AM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is offline
<< . . . . . . .
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 20,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt4Life View Post
My thoughts:

1) Not everyone wants to see these NFL player's political opinion on the football field. This can be discussed more in the "Colin kneels" thread.

2) The NFL is ruining the fun of football. Part of football is hating your opponent. Your opponent slaps you in the face figuratively with a good play then celebration, you come right back and slap him harder. Seeing the 49er player tonight gain an extra yard, Cardinal player gets in his face, 49er player flexes, so 49er player gets a penalty for taunting. Stop ruining the game NFL. We already lost group celebrations and extended celebrations to the likes of Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson used to do.

3) The more people I talk to at work the more I hear, "Man, Vegas had to have their hand in that." Keep in mind, where I work, there are only a couple Chargers fans. These are just various NFL fans. It seems like the referees get too involved and the 'good' story seems to happen too often. Is there something there? None of us know. I just have heard a lot more people questioning things with the referees in regards the Vegas lately.


I'm still watching every Chargers game and getting emotionally involved in the game. I still root for certain teams to lose. Part of the reasoning is my distain for other fan bases. They are such 'jerks' in our stadium it makes me root against a team so I can think about those fans. When my dad and I first got season tickets, it wasn't as vile as it is now-a-days.

I will say though, I don't watch every Sunday like I used to as much. I know a large part of it is the Chargers have been out of it but the other part is partly because of reason #3 above. The referees have too much control to manipulate games. Look at Andrew Luck getting bailed out 5 times on failed 3rd down attempts. Can't let Andrew go 0-3. I in no form believe players are in on it. I've known too many Chargers players to believe that. These guys are way more banged up than the average person knows. They put their bodies on the line far too much to be the WWE. After games they are far too emotional (except Cromartie. That is a story for another time I have after the 2009 playoffs loss.) I do believe the NFL tries to sway games through their refs (Defensive holding, anyone?) either for stories or Vegas (See Chargers vs Steelers playoff game. We lost fair and square. Look up the very last play of the game and how it affected the Vegas books.) Go players! Overcome those refs! Anytime anyone brings up any possible manipulation by refs, there is some 'smart guy' who says wear the tin foil hat. Har har har ahead of time.
I know you soft-pedaled your description of that. Probably wise.

But I'll expound on it:

How can the NFL possibly punish a guy for writing "Remember 9-11" on his cleats, but say it's A-Okay to protest the national anthem?

The NFL has been disciplining players for ANYTHING that could be considered a political statement. Until now.

Clearly Goodell, alone or on the basis of his advisors' suggestions, made a decision. And thought that nobody would notice the dichotomy.

I'm still watching. But dang, do I know a whole lot of folks who are checking out. Not just because of over-saturation, but because of "the political stuff that I have to watch. I just want to watch football".
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-07-2016, 12:42 AM
Bolt4Life's Avatar
Bolt4Life Bolt4Life is online now
Twitter: @Vrabel56
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oceanside
Posts: 20,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
I know you soft-pedaled your description of that. Probably wise.

But I'll expound on it:

How can the NFL possibly punish a guy for writing "Remember 9-11" on his cleats, but say it's A-Okay to protest the national anthem?

The NFL has been disciplining players for ANYTHING that could be considered a political statement. Until now.

Clearly Goodell, alone or on the basis of his advisors' suggestions, made a decision. And thought that nobody would notice the dichotomy.

I'm still watching. But dang, do I know a whole lot of folks who are checking out. Not just because of over-saturation, but because of "the political stuff that I have to watch. I just want to watch football".
Heck yeah I did.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-07-2016, 02:04 AM
woodeye2000's Avatar
woodeye2000 woodeye2000 is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: san jose
Posts: 27,336
Default

1. NFL Red Zone.
2. NFL Mobile.
3. NFL Game Pass.
4. NFL DVR.
5. NFL PM Commercials.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2016, 06:40 AM
frozendisc's Avatar
frozendisc frozendisc is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cotes-des-neiges, Montreal
Posts: 16,650
Default

The main reasons.....

5...too many commercials

4...far too few shots of the cheerleaders

3...too much refereeing, questionable calls

2...Professional sports and politics don't mix well

and the #1 reason.....


The NHL season is here !
__________________
1909...the year excellence started.


__________________
GO BOLTS !
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2016, 09:36 AM
The Moekid's Avatar
The Moekid The Moekid is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,400
Default

Or the product just isn't any good:

Cardinals-49ers stinker was exactly what ratings-poor NFL didn’t need

Now we know the real reason why the NFL is threatening to fine teams for broadcasting too much game video online. Watching Thursday night’s game between the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers was all the proof we needed.

In an embarrassingly bad football display — even by watered-down Thursday standards — the Arizona Cardinals beat the San Francisco 49ers, 33-21, before a sparse crowd and likely another poor showing with the TV ratings. The win prevented the Cardinals from losing three straight for the first time under head coach Bruce Arians.

Here are some of the uglies that told much of the story:

• 27 combined passing yards in the first quarter
• 12 combined punts in the first half
• another stupid taunting penalty the NFL seems to love this season
• a whopping 4.93 yards per pass attempt
• lots of Blaine Gabbert scrambling
• lots of Gabbert getting sacked — seven times, including a safety in the final, sad moments of the game


Outside of one terrific running back on each team and the Cardinals’ Larry Fitzgerald, who caught two TD passes, there was little of value in this game. Oh, hey, Markus Golden is the NFL’s sack leader — does that excite you?

In one awful exchange that epitomized the game’s quality, the 49ers fumbled the opening kickoff of the second half, and the Cardinals recovered but stalled offensively with Drew Stanton (11-of-27 passing, 124 yards, two TDs), who was terrible as an injury replacement for Carson Palmer, nursing a concussion.

How little did Arians trust Stanton? The Cardinals ran a line plunge on third-and-11 from the San Francisco 15. They were playing for the field goal in a 7-7 tie with more than 28 minutes left in the damned game. The kick was good, but the 49ers ran into kicker Chandler Catanzaro, so the Cardinals took the points off the board. In this game, the move felt deadly; but David Johnson waltzed untouched into the end zone for a 14-7 Cardinals lead.

The questions we had coming in about the 49ers held up. Gabbert again was mostly poor. They’ve now been outscored 41-10 in third quarters. Chip Kelly still hasn’t proven to anyone he can coach in this league. Colin Kaepernick apparently is still too hurt to play (but healthy enough to be the backup?). Maybe a few helpless souls kept one eye on the game to see if Kaep would play; those are the folks who deserve a written apology from the league.
The Cardinals won — and good lord, did they need it at 1-3 coming in — but there wasn’t a lot to get excited about. They lost both starting offensive guards to injury. Stanton struggled to do much on his own. The defense wasn’t as dominant as you’d think it would be. There’s still not a Super Bowl-ish vibe around this team whatsoever.

Seriously, this is a division game, a team that was a preseason Super Bowl favorite, a prime-time game — but the stadium was maybe half full and the ratings are going to be trash again. Sure, there was a Red Sox-Indians playoff game opposite this. But blame it on all the external factors you want, such as the election or the hurricane. The fact remains that this product isn’t very good or even close to very good.

Poor quality of play, no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady (until Sunday), bad quarterbacks and oversaturation of the game have led to crummy TV ratings and declining attendance league-wide. The numbers have gotten worse and the volume on those reports has been turned up.

Gabbert vs. Stanton was not what the NFL needed. Brady will come to the rescues in the afternoon, and Sunday night’s New York Giants-Green Bay Packers game will help the numbers. But what happens if Cam Newton can’t go for Monday’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers-Carolina Panthers game? More bad news.

There isn’t an enticing Thursday matchup until after Thanksgiving. And the league is wondering why the numbers are down? That one — one of many. More than one of which was on display in this stinker.

Edit: Adding link for perryao. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cardina...033204099.html

Last edited by The Moekid; 10-07-2016 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-07-2016, 10:09 AM
I AMazing I's Avatar
I AMazing I I AMazing I is offline
Mo’ Hurts
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6,423
Default

I know a number of people who have stopped watching bc it's become overly political. You can't turn on a game without them showing who is kneeling during the national anthem.
__________________
1. Jerry Tillery, DT
2. Calvin Throckmorton, OT
3. Shareef Miller, Edge
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Cut: WR Benjamin
FA: LB Barr, K Gostkowski/Gould, S Amos

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is offline
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 33,554
Default

They should show our games nationally if you want excitement and suspense.

How can they give it away this week folks ?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 AM.


© 2018 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.