Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
I can't believe the refs didn't even bother reviewing that turnover . . .
Yeah. Minny took a timeout, so they would. Didn't matter, tho. It was pretty obvious that he was down.

Slay almost had a Marlon McCree moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 11-24-2016, 02:43 PM

Helluvan opening drive for the Cowboys.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:04 PM
its magic & im foolin you

I thought this is really awesome!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/dall...m-thanksgiving

As every football fan not eating dinner learned on Thanksgiving, the Dallas Cowboys have an official trumpeter, which is sort of like having an official quarterback of the New York Philharmonic. His name is Freddie Jones and he’s played the anthem at every game at AT&T Stadium since 2013, making him one of the few men or women to be the regular anthem performer at an NFL stadium. The whole trumpet thing goes back to the Tom Landry era with a man did the same as Jones but resigned after Jerry Jones did Landry dirty in firing him for Jimmy Johnson on the day he bought the team.

Though Jones (Freddie, who is no relation) has been a Dallas mainstay for three years, he’s not often seen nationally because networks rarely show anthems unless it’s a big game (Thanksgiving or playoffs, and the Cowboys have only hosted one of the latter during Jones’ tenure and just three in the past 16 years). But CBS showed it on Thursday and, take note professional sports teams, this is how a classy, beautiful rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner sounds. (Our original video from today was taken down, so we’ve temporarily replaced it with a Jones’ performance from 2013.)

http://www.dallasnews.com/arts/museu...museum-sherman

For 22 years, Tommy Loy loomed as a symbol of the one-of-a-kind experience of being present at a Dallas Cowboys home game.
From 1966, the Cowboys' first winning season, until 1988, Tom Landry's last year as coach, Loy played a trumpet solo of The Star-Spangled Banner before every home game. He did the same at Super Bowl V in Miami, where the Cowboys played in (and lost) their first Super Bowl.
He played his moving, distinctive trumpet solo at the Cotton Bowl from 1966 until early in the 1971 season, when the Cowboys moved to Texas Stadium in Irving.
The quiet dignity he brought to the task stood out amid the gaudy spectacle of a National Football League game. No one sang along, unless it was the tens of thousands sitting in the stands.
And now, the late Loy is being remembered with a new collection of memorabilia at the Sherman Jazz Museum, which was unveiled two weeks ago. Loy's widow, Carolyn, attended the opening party, along with the couple's four daughters, Lindi, Lisa, Lewelen and Laura.
"He was my dad, but I had no idea how good he was, what an influence he was on other musicians and how well known he was," says Lindi Loy. "His name Loy was even the answer to a New York Times crossword puzzle. The clue was: 'Cowboy trumpeter.' And the answer, of course, was Loy."
The Cowboys' Bob Hayes in action against the New York Giants in September 1966 at the Cotton Bowl. (Walter Looss Jr./Sports Illustrated) 
The Cowboys' Bob Hayes in action against the New York Giants in September 1966 at the Cotton Bowl. (Walter Looss Jr./Sports Illustrated)
Growing up "and being a part of that whole experience, I loved it," says Lindi, recalling fondly the times her dad took her onto the field at the Cotton Bowl, allowing her to snare the autographs of some of the team's most iconic players, from wide receiver "Bullet" Bob Hayes to Hall of Fame defensive tackle Bob Lilly to free safety Cliff "Crash" Harris.
"It was magical," says Lindi, who's working on a book about her dad, titled Tommy Loy: The Man Behind the Horn.
Loy's introduction to the Cowboys was inauspicious, despite how enduring it became.
In November 1966, he got a call from a gentleman who said "you're the best trumpet player in Dallas." So, the man invited him to be at the Cotton Bowl at 10 a.m. the next day — Thanksgiving Day — hours before the Cowboys would take the field in what turned out to be a pivotal 26-14 victory over the Cleveland Browns, before a record crowd of 80,259.
<i>The Dallas Morning News</i>, page 1B, Nov. 25, 1966 Cowboys vs. Browns coverage from Thanksgiving Day game. At the time, it was the largest crowd to ever see a sporting event in Dallas.&nbsp;DMN FILES
The Dallas Morning News, page 1B, Nov. 25, 1966 Cowboys vs. Browns coverage from Thanksgiving Day game. At the time, it was the largest crowd to ever see a sporting event in Dallas. DMN FILES
As Loy later told his girls, he was convinced that absolutely nothing would come of it. But since he had tried in vain to score tickets to the season's biggest game, he was thrilled to have a chance to go and see his beloved Cowboys, who would play, later that day, in the first NFL game to be televised in color.
He auditioned first, followed by a high school band. The man in charge said "Mr. Murchison" — referring to Cowboys' founder and original owner Clint Murchison Jr. — "will let you know."
"Dad thought, 'Well, obviously, they're not going to pick me, but at least I get to stay for the game!' Five minutes before kickoff, the man said, 'Mr. Murchison has decided to go with the trumpet solo,'" Lindi recalls.
The Cowboys' founder and original owner, Clint Murchison Jr.&nbsp;David Woo/The Dallas Morning News&nbsp;
The Cowboys' founder and original owner, Clint Murchison Jr. David Woo/The Dallas Morning News
And for all the years that followed, the Loy family sat in covered seats under the press box at the Cotton Bowl and then on the 25-yard line at Texas Stadium.
For many years after launching his Cowboys career, Loy's solo was seen on television, even, on occasion, national television, until pre-game commercial time became so valuable that CBS decided to axe the national anthem from the broadcast.
Loy's Super Bowl V experience is embedded in the family folklore. Singer Anita Bryant was supposed to perform the national anthem, but she got sick. The late Tex Schramm, then the Cowboys' president and general manager, told network officials: "I have a guy who can play the anthem for you."
So, Loy got the call the night before the game. He and his wife hopped a quick flight from Love Field to Miami just in time for him to blow his horn while wearing a white blazer and black bow tie.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:03 PM

Scott Tolzien tearing it up for the Colts. 8/15 for 84 yards and a TD.

And they added 21 yards rushing in the first half.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Playoffs? Playoffs

What has happened to Carson Palmer, so, so very terrible
"I said, and maybe it was a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I made the statement before our season began, that I believed and was confident we were a better team, but we might not have as good a record. Maybe I shouldn't have said that." Marty Schottenheimer
Old 11-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Marion Butts

we are rooting against kc tonight, right?

-Mario Lopez
Old 11-27-2016, 02:21 PM
City of Smog and Angels

I think it's amusing that John Harbaugh got angry at the Patriots for using sneaky formations and then goes out and has his entire team hold out the clock. Not the most sporting football play, but it gets the win, eh John?
Old 11-27-2016, 02:24 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearWithJetpack View Post
I think it's amusing that John Harbaugh got angry at the Patriots for using sneaky formations and then goes out and has his entire team hold out the clock. Not the most sporting football play, but it gets the win, eh John?
Hey, with the new rule change every team gets to do that once for free.

Stupid by the NFL. Really stupid.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:25 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Dolphins just ESCAPED with a win, at home, against the one-win 49'ers.

Stopped Kraporpick on their own 3 yard line on the last play of the game. Dang!
Old 11-27-2016, 02:28 PM
Marion Butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Dolphins just ESCAPED with a win, at home, against the one-win 49'ers.

Stopped Kraporpick on their own 3 yard line on the last play of the game. Dang!
yup, buffalo tenn and baltimore all won too.

-Mario Lopez