Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
For the most part I think you're correct. Some voices are going to be heard more than others. The GM usually has the final say. But he should be listening the what the HC, scouts and others are saying. In some cases there is going to be good agreement. In other cases strong disagreement. The GM should be the deciding factor when it's all said and done.
While I agree in principle, and would much prefer TT making the calls over J Spanos, I know how GM's are always measuring ownership's take on decisions. In TT's case, the ownership is very close at hand, and came up the scouting side (which one must assume he has reasonable confidence in his abilities). If J Spanos was adamant on any one issue, TT would be wise to be cautious in choosing a different direction, and it best work out.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey Dean......Don't take OUR team. You may own it, but it belongs to San Diego and the LOYAL fans that have put hundreds of millions in your pocket. DON't DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2016, 06:48 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O-Bolt View Post
Hey Dean......Don't take OUR team. You may own it, but it belongs to San Diego and the LOYAL fans that have put hundreds of millions in your pocket. DON't DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
You gonna give them a place to play?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
You gonna give them a place to play?
If we did not have an owner with the lowest net worth in the NFL we would not need to. Spanos' checkbook says that he does not belong owning an NFL team. Virtually all his net worth was created by the NFL and the fans in San Diego. He is a million miles away from Paul Allen and Arthur Blank that can write checks for stadiums. Face it, Spanos wants the taxpayers to subsidize him a stadium or else he walks to LA. Oh yea, he will lose 80% of his fan base in the process. What good is moving a team to a market where they don't want you? It will be a fatal gaffe when he decides to move.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:02 PM
<< . . . . . . .

I see that this is the hyperbole-free thread.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
While I agree in principle, and would much prefer TT making the calls over J Spanos, I know how GM's are always measuring ownership's take on decisions. In TT's case, the ownership is very close at hand, and came up the scouting side (which one must assume he has reasonable confidence in his abilities). If J Spanos was adamant on any one issue, TT would be wise to be cautious in choosing a different direction, and it best work out.
I know there are some on this board that disagree with my position that Lil Spanos hasn't earned his position in the org - but 18 / 21 years in football are with the Chargers. Show me another person in his position that has no family ties that has moved up so quickly in a single organization. Puts TT in a rough position as they aren't going to ever fire Lil Spanos - so he's the fall guy whenever anything goes wrong with the FO - and he doesn't have the autonomy that his peers have. If I'm TT I keep my resume up to date and make sure that I'm networking at every GM meeting.

One of the posters here did a pretty good job of evaluating all the TT draft picks & FA signings recently. Kind of difficult to overlook some of the issues that were brought up - but IMHO TT has earned a couple of more years after last year's offseason.

Draft
1. Bosa - didn't agree with it at the time - but brilliant
2. HH - See above
3. Tuerk - Redshirt year was a gift with the Slauson signing. Needs to show up next year.
4. Perry - Looked good when he was in there, allows to move on from Te'o
5. Brown - May be the best value pick in the draft
6. Kaser - I was pulling for the kid all year, I think getting a P in the 6th is brilliant as you're getting a possible impact player late. There were a couple of times I questioned him, but hoping that he can become more consistent next year & he can be the next fixture P for the Chargers.
6. Watt - Didn't seem to figure out how to use him in the offense. I'd like to see if they can't use him the way that some of classic FB's were used. Good blockers but also able to catch a pass & pick up a first down.
7. Clark - Whatever, don't expect much from a 7th

FA
Travis Benjamin - Thought it was a good signing, picked up someone who could stretch the field deep, return punts. Turns out we found out why CLE let him go.
Mebane - Solidified the run D in a way that we've not seen since JWall. I'd hope that they can get a kid in this years draft to learn under Mebane as he seems like a pro's pro.
Lowery - Got about what I expected. Curse of Weddle strikes.
Slauson - Great pick up - really helped to solidify OLine
Casey Hayward - Who expected getting a Pro Bowl CB? He became a shut down CB who seemed to get his hands on anything that came his way. Getting 7 INTs on the number of passes he was targeted on was amazing. Could be the best FA signing of the entire offseason.
Carun Reid - Can't wait to see more of him next year.
Dexter McCluster - Will always be a good trivia answer for Chargers fans as to "who injured himself lifting up a suitcase?"
Korey Toomer - Another great find
Trevor Williams - When you're playing guys this far down on the depth chart you don't expect much - he delivered better than he had a right to.
Trovon Reed - See above
Isiah Burse - Best kick returner in recent memory
Ronnie Hillman - Needed to have a RB - might as well

Re-signings
Barksdale - Was the best OL last year - but that may have been as a result of how poorly the rest of the line played. Dude better re-dedicate himself to football this offseason.
Gates - I love AG - however in trying to get him touches it slowed the growth of HH who is the better TE already. I know he wants to play next year & he'll have moments - but he also had his first game without a reception on how long?
Clemens - You gotta have a back up QB. Need to bring in a youngster to compete for the backup. Not yet time to draft PR's replacement - but time to try to upgrade.
Inman - The kid just makes plays. They saw something here - good job on keeping the kid around.
Wiggins - Worth the try - but couldn't keep healthy
Square - I like the kids motor and the ability to rotate with Mebane will help keep Mebane around longer.
Hairston - Another spot that they need to bring in some youngsters to compete.

I see quite a few gems (Bosa, HH, Brown, Mebane, Hayward, Reid, Toomer). I see some potential (Tuerk, Perry, Kaser, Reid, Toomer). Of course there are some misses (Benjamin, Lowery, Barksdale). If I look at the gems and potential it far outweighs the misses. I'll reiterate that the cupboard was bare when AJ left - and the Chargers were in salary cap hell. There is enough young talent on the team mixed with some vets to see an opportunity for significant growth next year.

The biggest mistake of the TT era was relieved of his duties right after the last game. There still needs to be significant work done on the OL, S and OLB. The other positions at least seem to be in a much better position than when TT showed up. IF the new HC can change the culture and start winning some games there is the chance to return to the playoffs in the next couple of years.

Long way of saying - keep TT for a couple more years.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
I see that this is the hyperbole-free thread.
yeppers.
The Bolts are not leaving San Diego. They will play in SD next year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:27 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFromJamul View Post
Benjamin recorded 677 yards and four scores in his first season with the Chargers, he had a knee injury during the second half of the season. With Williams playing well, its a GOOD thing to let Benjamin and Inman battle for the number 3 WR spot.

He'll be on the roster and contributing next year. Don't worry.

Last edited by chargertom; 01-03-2017 at 07:33 AM..
Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFromJamul View Post

I think that when you look at the recent history of moves by the Bolts' FO, it must be taken into consideration: Which of these moves were TT acting alone, which were TT obeying Spanos' call, and which were a true collaboration between all voices involved in any decision. I think this fractured dynamic is why we see an inconsistent draft.......

Old 01-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Yes interesting work dynamic for TT. Managing that fine balance between John's new role, his family ties to the organization and his responsibilities as GM. TT's 2016 draft class was his best yet. I do hope Tuerk doesn't disappoint. Past draftee Chris Watt is now officially a bust and let's hope Jerry Attaochu can comeback next year.

Nice summation Bob...surprises was the play of Hayward. He not only stepped up in place of Verrett but held is own.
Disappointed in Travis Benjamin's play in particular on special teams. Dude was dangerous last year with the Browns and appeared to be tenative with us.
I liked Mebane and Slauson presence as leaders in the locker room and their stellar play on the field.

The press conference was an awkward one saying McCoy's an "excellent coach" and the action's speaking volumes that he just wasn't getting it done. The press doing the full court press on where the Chargers next home will be. Will the coaching candidates know where they are going to work during the the interviews before "we" the public finds out? Will it be leaked? Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
I think that when you look at the recent history of moves by the Bolts' FO, it must be taken into consideration: Which of these moves were TT acting alone, which were TT obeying Spanos' call, and which were a true collaboration between all voices involved in any decision. I think this fractured dynamic is why we see an inconsistent draft.......