Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:04 PM
Charger Dodger's Avatar
Charger Dodger Charger Dodger is offline
Thanks for everything 85!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Friant
Posts: 7,667
Default Lamar Jackson at 17

Hear me out to those wanting other positions addressed at OL, MLB or Safety. Chargers cannot pass on Jackson.

I've been keeping an eye on him and at this point, he's getting highly disrespected on his value. IMO, I think he's far greater than the QBs before him.

-He had a very good Pro day recently.
-Chargers have been known to be impressed with him and scouting at the moment.
-Coach Lynn covets dual threat QBs.
-Rivers is getting older. A change of culture will be necessary going forward once he really slows down.
-Football is becoming much more fast paced especially on defense. Rules are changing to reflect that.
-He would be of great value at 17. He should be top 5.

From what i've seen, he is great on the rollout, PA and options. He is able to thread the needle and hit the long bombs when needed.

But there's also several negatives about him.

-He's stubborn and doesn't slide when he needs to. Constantly taking hits.
-Pocket presence needs work.
-Delivery needs work.
-Not the greatest in PA and options, but Lynn could help him tremendously on that.

Learning from Rivers, Lynn and Whis can help this kid tremendously and he's also great insurance in case *Knocks on Wood* something were to happen to Rivers during the season. They will have a gameplan specific for him if that were to happen. Offensive style changes which throws defense off big time.

I really want Chargers to get this kid. Don't pass on him. I wanted Deshaun Watson last year. Chargers passed up on him. Don't pass this time!

__________________
There’s a lot of letters in Ladainian Tomlinson
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:21 PM
909 Charger's Avatar
909 Charger 909 Charger is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: La verne
Posts: 3,067
Default

First!

To be honest, I didn't hear you out.
__________________
WAY EARLY/THE END IS NEAR 2019 MOCK
1. D.Lawrence, NT
2. M.Wilson, LB
3. I.Prince, OT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Mecho91's Avatar
Mecho91 Mecho91 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hull
Posts: 825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Dodger View Post
Hear me out to those wanting other positions addressed at OL, MLB or Safety. Chargers cannot pass on Jackson.

I've been keeping an eye on him and at this point, he's getting highly disrespected on his value. IMO, I think he's far greater than the QBs before him.

-He had a very good Pro day recently.
-Chargers have been known to be impressed with him and scouting at the moment.
-Coach Lynn covets dual threat QBs.
-Rivers is getting older. A change of culture will be necessary going forward once he really slows down.
-Football is becoming much more fast paced especially on defense. Rules are changing to reflect that.
-He would be of great value at 17. He should be top 5.

From what i've seen, he is great on the rollout, PA and options. He is able to thread the needle and hit the long bombs when needed.

But there's also several negatives about him.

-He's stubborn and doesn't slide when he needs to. Constantly taking hits.
-Pocket presence needs work.
-Delivery needs work.
-Not the greatest in PA and options, but Lynn could help him tremendously on that.

Learning from Rivers, Lynn and Whis can help this kid tremendously and he's also great insurance in case *Knocks on Wood* something were to happen to Rivers during the season. They will have a gameplan specific for him if that were to happen. Offensive style changes which throws defense off big time.

I really want Chargers to get this kid. Don't pass on him. I wanted Deshaun Watson last year. Chargers passed up on him. Don't pass this time!

Short answer no, long answer hell no there is a lot better talent at other positions at 17 and I don't see him ever being a franchise qb so why take him in the first at 17.
__________________
Chargers mock draft

1st Rashaan Evans LB
2nd Harrison Phillips DT
3rd Jamarco Jones OT
4th Nick Nelson CB
5th Nyheim Hines RB/WR
6th Eddy Pineiro K
7th BPA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:29 PM
Boltup90's Avatar
Boltup90 Boltup90 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Valrico
Posts: 4,519
Default

People keep saying it, but I haven't seen dialogue from Lynn saying he covers DT QBs.

Links or it didn't happen...
__________________
Quote:
As I type here, there is no chance in Hades that James is there at 17.
2019 NFL Mock Draft

28. Greg Little OT Ole Miss
60. Clayton Thorson QB Northwestern
91. Isaiah Buggs DT/NT Alabama
123. Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson
155. Greg Gaines NT Washington
187. Khalil Hodge ILB/OLB Buffalo
219. Logan Parker TE Southern Utah
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is offline
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 33,554
Default

Wonderlic scores for 2018 QBs
  • Josh Allen: 37
  • Josh Rosen: 29
  • Sam Darnold: 28
  • Baker Mayfield: 25
  • Lamar Jackson: 13
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:34 PM
909 Charger's Avatar
909 Charger 909 Charger is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: La verne
Posts: 3,067
Default

Okay, I heard you out. And I agree with your assessment of him. I have him ranked at the bottom of my top 25, so I don't hate the pick from a value standpoint at 17. But there's an irony with that number. We've got a 17 who's holding a window of opportunity open for us for a run at a championship. I truly believe we're just a couple pieces away from being a legit contender (and I think we're a playoff team right now).

PR has 2-3 years left is what I'm guessing and willing to bank on. Get the QB of the future next year.
__________________
WAY EARLY/THE END IS NEAR 2019 MOCK
1. D.Lawrence, NT
2. M.Wilson, LB
3. I.Prince, OT
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:35 PM
FeelTheCharge's Avatar
FeelTheCharge FeelTheCharge is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: El Monte
Posts: 848
Default

what about his pro day was good?

he is not far greater than any of the qbs named darnold,allen, rosen and even mayfield.

pro qbs need a plethora of ability to make every throw - this is arm strength, timing, ball placement, mechanics, catchable balls and this is overlooked alot but footwork.
I think Jackson lacks a lot of these traits.

He has a tendency to overthrow and underthrow - this means he does not have accuracy, and this is on shells or no pads & no defenders.
When I studied his college tape (dont look at his mobility/scrambling), study his throws. Don't even look at whether or not the receiver caught the ball, look at placement. I saw a lot of poorly thrown balls, ball placement was ugly.

Allen, Rosen and Darnold are miles ahead of Jackson in this aspect, this is one of most important levels for a pro qb. I can guarantee you TT will not bite on Jackson.

Watson who you wanted last year was much better.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is offline
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 33,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Wonderlic scores for 2018 QBs
  • Josh Allen: 37
  • Josh Rosen: 29
  • Sam Darnold: 28
  • Baker Mayfield: 25
  • Lamar Jackson: 13
Play QB for us ???? I'd be shocked if he could tie his cleats for the game.

OY VEY !
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:38 PM
FeelTheCharge's Avatar
FeelTheCharge FeelTheCharge is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: El Monte
Posts: 848
Default

Darnold Allen or Rosen are in a league of their own and I cant decide who I rank higher than the other as far as a prospect.

Allen has the highest ceiling, and just keeps polishing away
Darnold has all the qualities you want as a starting qb
Rosen can make all the throws with ease
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is offline
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 33,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheCharge View Post
Darnold Allen or Rosen are in a league of their own and I cant decide who I rank higher than the other as far as a prospect.

Allen has the highest ceiling, and just keeps polishing away
Darnold has all the qualities you want as a starting qb
Rosen can make all the throws with ease
While you are deciding, Darnold will be the first QB taken in the draft.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 AM.


© 2018 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.