Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2018, 11:04 PM
& ramblin' man

first of all and foremost >> mad props to woodeye…. well done and way to persevere…. muchas gracias hombre,

what a great learning experience as a first timer and arm chair, couch surfing pundit…. gotta laugh at myself, as one of my pet peeves is when team Tommy John delivers some proclamation, like “last game changer available,” and…. first thing I did was “proclaim” that the Tennessee RedBears weren’t so interested in trades, as we were certain that there was enough talent afoot where we didn’t need to field draft day trade queries…. oversight #1, as key for future GMing is to know as many of said possible options may exist, and to explore trade (down) possibilities in advance, not to mention a thorough going over of said roster to see who I might deem as expendable, and who I might want to trade for (Mariota for Philip all day/any day…. not this year tho as am hoping for a SB for PR)

also learned that not only am I clearly a BPA guy rather than PON (not a good look whatsoever in mi libro) draftnik, but that I am even a dnb (do not bust) guy more so, as most GMs bust on about half their picks…. imagine if you could hit on a much higher percentage ??

did seem like some of us were stats/metrics guys more than what I would call myself, as an intangibles/energetic fit as foremost criteria, and that some of us fell in too/fairly easily w/the ongoing draft hype/hyperbole, and….

‘tis clearly evident that stockpiling picks, and doing our darnedest to accumulate multiple extra picks over the course of the (off)season needs to be much higher on the team Tommy John list of priorities…. mui importante, as there is just too much talent floating around day two/three not to nab an extra or coupla few players

‘nother thing I’d toss in there is that mindset is an important criteria for myself in evals, albeit we don’t really know so much ‘bout that, and…. do my best to intuitively sense how a player fits as a Charger, or at least as I envision what I’d like in a Chargers 53

Last edited by beachcomber; 03-31-2018 at 11:16 PM..
Old 04-01-2018, 03:20 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittydog View Post
Freak traded his entire draft to move up to 'First' overall.
His Selection:
Paper Brown - Place Kicker, Baghead State University
Draft Approved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:28 AM
Hall of Famer

CMB Mock Draft Buffalo Bills

1st (12) Vita Vea, DT Washington
Tried to trade down from this pick to gain more picks for later rounds but, unfortunately was unable to trade down. As a result i selected the best player left on my board and arguably filled a need replacing Kyle Williams who will probably retire after this season.

1st (22) Mason Rudolph, QB Oklahoma State
Was the best quarterback available on my board at this point, i am high on Rudolph and think his ceiling is probably Kirk Cousins gives the Bills someone who can sit for a couple of years and then take over as starter after some of the kinks in his mechanics have been fixed.

2nd (53) Jaire Alexander, CB Louisville After Malik Jefferson was taken off the board a few picks earlier i looked into other Bills needs and CB was one of them. after reading a little about him on nfldraftscout i realised what a talent he was with potential first round projections i made sure Bills got their replacement for Phillip Gaines.

2nd (56) Rasheem Green, DE USC
Really wanted to trade down here but, with no suitors i decided to go BPA at position of need, Bills were 29th in sacks last year, Green after a Redshirt year will provide pressure for the foreseeable future and he must have good potential as a scout said he would have been a top ten pick next year if he had stayed in college.

3rd (65) Traded for Jawaun James, OT
Bills Needed a right tackle due to below average play at the position, i figured that Jamarco Jones would likely be gone at this point so i made a pre-draft trade for Jawaun James getting the Bills an above average tackle according to PFF statistics.

3rd (96) Darius Leonard, LB South Carolina State
After losing Preston Brown to the Bengals the Bills had a significant need at the linebacking postion and when Leonard dropped to my pick i jumped at the chance to take him provides Bills with a solid three down linebacker.

4th (111) Kerryon Johnson, RB Auburn
When i saw that Johnson was still one the board in the 4th i immediately looked into options to trade up, i ended trading a 6th to the Rams to move up 10 places to select Johnson. The guy is a stud who is fast and can do anything a true three down running back who will replace Lesean Mccoy in the future and handle 3rd down work for the moment. With a second round grade on him most places this is a huge value pick.

5th (166) Keke Coutee, WR Texas Tech
Was Asleep so unfortunately couldn't pick live but, Woodeye thankfully picked from a cluster on my behalf, Coutee gives the Bills a fast slot WR and a target for future QB Mason Rudolph on poor roster of wide receivers not named Kelvin Benjamin.

6th (187) Traded to move up in 4th
Old 04-01-2018, 09:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Houston Texans

The Texans are in the middle of paying the price to draft Deshaun Watson last year and find themselves without a 1st or 2nd round pick this year. The roster is not lacking in talent, with solid players at most of the skilled positions, but need help at CB, S and OL. Finding the correct players later in the draft, as will be required, means really looking into more than just the statistics of these players. It will mean finding those that ‘believe in themselves’ enough to beat the odds by becoming starters. Tough task…..

The first pick is at 68th, and the Texans chose Carlton Davis CB Auburn, 6’1 and 205 lbs. What we liked about him is his absolute aggressive personality, he simply attacks his responsibilities every play. There are some concerns about his ability to turn and run, but he has the quickness and long arms to recover. He is mostly a man to man coverage type, which works well with the defence philosophy. Davis is extremely good in run support, and is very physical in his tackling, providing some excellent pop from the corner position. We are hopeful he is a starter early on, maybe even the solution at Safety.

The second pick is at 80th, and the Texans chose Scott Quessenberry, OG/OC UCLA, 6’4 and 318 lbs. We studied Quiz very closely, and we believe Quiz has the talent to become a starting player anywhere from LOG across to ROG. He is a very sound technician and is just solid talent to add to our OL group. There is the outside chance he could play ROT, but that is not why he was drafted, nor is it the expectation.

The third pick is at 98th, and the Texans chose Nathan Shepard, DT Fort Hays State, 6’5 and 320 lbs. Potential, Shepard just has a ton of it, has the measurables and is extremely hard working as he attacks his weaknesses in his effort to become better. Receptive to coaching, excellent lateral movement, follows the ball well, strong action from his hands protecting himself from blockers. This pick was and always will be about potential, as we believe two years from now this pick pays off.

The fourth pick is at 103rd, and the Texans chose Brendan Mahon, OG Penn State, 6’4 and 320 lbs. Mahon played plenty of OT while at Penn State, but really is an OG here in the NFL. He is challenged by speed rushers, but is a very good run blocker as he uses angles well to create running lanes. We believe this player can be coached into a respectable starting OG.

The last pick the Texans made was at 177th, and they chose Tony Adams, OG/OC North Carolina State, 6’3 and 320 lbs. Adams’ father was a wrestling HC, and it shows in the way Adams gets position with his feet to block bigger players. Adams has a solid lower body, giving him a great anchor when needed. He moves quite well laterally, is an aggressive blocker when pulling. He will need to improve his usage of his hands against NFL level players, especially after the first contact. He has played OC, and looked comfortable in doing so, adding to his versatility.

Picks 211, 214 and 222 were not made as the draft was called. These picks would have seen pursuit of a Safety and ROT, going BPA from our board. FA would see heavy OT’s and Safety’s. Desmond Harrison, K C McDermott as OT’s, and Dane Cruikshank as a Safety targeted for UDFA invites.

Thanks to WoodEye for the effort, it was an interesting process on our part, and fun distraction !

Last edited by frozendisc; 04-01-2018 at 12:11 PM..
Old 04-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecho91 View Post
CMB Mock Draft Buffalo Bills

1st (12) Vita Vea, DT Washington
Tried to trade down from this pick to gain more picks for later rounds but, unfortunately was unable to trade down. As a result i selected the best player left on my board and arguably filled a need replacing Kyle Williams who will probably retire after this season.

1st (22) Mason Rudolph, QB Oklahoma State
Was the best quarterback available on my board at this point, i am high on Rudolph and think his ceiling is probably Kirk Cousins gives the Bills someone who can sit for a couple of years and then take over as starter after some of the kinks in his mechanics have been fixed.

2nd (53) Jaire Alexander, CB Louisville After Malik Jefferson was taken off the board a few picks earlier i looked into other Bills needs and CB was one of them. after reading a little about him on nfldraftscout i realised what a talent he was with potential first round projections i made sure Bills got their replacement for Phillip Gaines.

2nd (56) Rasheem Green, DE USC
Really wanted to trade down here but, with no suitors i decided to go BPA at position of need, Bills were 29th in sacks last year, Green after a Redshirt year will provide pressure for the foreseeable future and he must have good potential as a scout said he would have been a top ten pick next year if he had stayed in college.

3rd (65) Traded for Jawaun James, OT
Bills Needed a right tackle due to below average play at the position, i figured that Jamarco Jones would likely be gone at this point so i made a pre-draft trade for Jawaun James getting the Bills an above average tackle according to PFF statistics.

3rd (96) Darius Leonard, LB South Carolina State
After losing Preston Brown to the Bengals the Bills had a significant need at the linebacking postion and when Leonard dropped to my pick i jumped at the chance to take him provides Bills with a solid three down linebacker.

4th (111) Kerryon Johnson, RB Auburn
When i saw that Johnson was still one the board in the 4th i immediately looked into options to trade up, i ended trading a 6th to the Rams to move up 10 places to select Johnson. The guy is a stud who is fast and can do anything a true three down running back who will replace Lesean Mccoy in the future and handle 3rd down work for the moment. With a second round grade on him most places this is a huge value pick.

5th (166) Keke Coutee, WR Texas Tech
Was Asleep so unfortunately couldn't pick live but, Woodeye thankfully picked from a cluster on my behalf, Coutee gives the Bills a fast slot WR and a target for future QB Mason Rudolph on poor roster of wide receivers not named Kelvin Benjamin.

6th (187) Traded to move up in 4th
Solid haul here. 3 first round talents, an immediate above average starter at RT, and 2 immediate role players/competition at LB and WR.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Cut: WR Benjamin
FA: LB Barr, K Gostkowski/Gould, S Amos

Old 04-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Mo’ Hurts

Cowboys

Offseason focus

- Defense wins championships... Improve overall defense, particularly run defense through high quality DT and LB additions
- Add DB talent/competition
- Give young QB Dak more offensive weapons
- Succession plan for Dez
- Succession plan for Witten
- Build RB monster rotation

Additions

Mychal Kendricks, LB - Immediate impact starter at LB
Corey Liuget, DT - solid rotational pass rushing 3-tech
Martavis Bryant, WR - high upside WR1 talent, vertical and redzone threat, off the field issues that Jerruh loves to fix
Austin Hooper, TE - solid blocker, quality conventional "Y", will be long term TE2, gets a year to learn behind Witten
Tevin Coleman, RB - Likely a 1 year "rental" but quality RB2 option
Joe Barksdale, OT - Not stellar, but solid OT competition and above average swing OT quality

Draft (blue = targets for remaining picks)

1. (#19) Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa - Immediate starter at CB, gives Dallas 3-4 quality CBs
2. (#50) Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford - Immediate starter at DT, high quality and productive run stuffer
3. (#81) Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma - Immediate TE2 will replace Witten as TE1
4a. (#116) traded
4b. (#137) DeShon Elliott, S, Texas - Quality S contributor/competition, knack for making plays on the ball
5a. (#169) (f/ Phi) Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa - speed/receiving threat to complete the RB monster rotation
5b. (#171) traded
6a. (#192) (f/ Oak) Cedric Wilson, WR, Boise State - hard working quality WR
6b. (#193) Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB, Alabama - very high upside LB, starter qualities if he can recover from knee injury, good locker room guy
6c. (#200) (f/ Atl) Hercules Mata'afa, DL - rotational DL, replacement for Tapper lost in trade, good interior pass rush
6c. (#208) Marquis Haynes, Edge, Ole Miss - speed PRS
7. (#236) Bradley Bozeman, G/C, Alabama - quality IOL depth from a winning program, looked good at seniorbowl

Trade losses: RB Morris, DE Gregory, DL Tapper

Net Offseason Adjustments
4 Immediate starters on Defense with potentially 3+ high quality impact starters
+ Immediate impact starter at LB
+ 2 starter quality DTs, one run focused and one pass rush focused
+ Immediate starter at CB

Weapons for Dak
+ 2 long term starters at TE
+ WR1 and depth WR
+ Improved RB depth... monster = 1 elite RB, 1 grinder, 1 speedster

Improved Depth
+ Key defensive competition/depth with starter upside
+ OL Depth
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Last edited by I AMazing I; 04-02-2018 at 10:56 AM..
Old 04-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Mo’ Hurts

Broncos

Offseason focus
- Draft long term solution at QB
- Rebuild championship quality Defense
- Upgrade OL to improve run game and protect new QB
- Give rookie QB more weapons

Additions

Landon Collins, S - Though it cost some draft capital, Broncos acquired an elite quality starter at S, giving them their 3rd elite player on Defense which helps put them on track for rebuilding a championship quality Defense. Collins has 1 year remaining on a cheap rookie contract then will get a big pay raise, which the Broncos will do bc they want to keep him and have plenty of cap space.

1. (#5) Sam Darnold, QB, USC - top overall QB on their board, they were really lucky he fell this far
2. (#40) Traded
3a. (#66) (f/ NYG) Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Edge, Oklahoma - dominated the senior bowl, quality edge rusher with long arms, good burst and great 3 cone time. Worst case he is an above average PRS, best case is an above average starter, probably an immediate starter opposite Miller.
3b. (#71) Austin Corbett, G, Nevada - plug and play starter at LG
3c. (#99) DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn St - one of my favorite WRs in the draft, Hamilton is underrated and will be an impact contribution player as an immediate WR3
4a. (#106) Will Richardson, OT, NC State - Immediate swing OT, will replace Veldheer in time
4b. (#109) Levi Wallace, CB, Alabama - high upside depth signing, really came into his own last year, didn't allow a single TD
5a. (#142) Mike McCray, LB, Michigan - quality LB depth, a little slow but has good anticipation
5b. (#163) Jeremy Reaves, S, S. Alabama - high upside S depth, will learn behind Collins. looked good in the senior bowl
7. (#225) Trey Quinn, WR, SMU - solid underrated WR, not sexy but he catches everything thrown to him which is exactly what a young QB needs.

Trade loss: S Stewart

Rebuilding championship Defense
+ elite pro bowler at S
+ immediate starter at Edge
+ LB, CB, S depth with all with starter potential

Long term building blocks for offense
+ best QB in the draft
+ immediate starter at LG, creating a solid IOL
+ 2 young WR weapons that project as long term starters
+ OT depth

Less active with trades than the Cowboys, but I'm still pleased overall with the Broncos' offseason. Rarely do you get to add an immediate elite level player and they did that with Collins. They also got the best QB in the draft who is projected to develop into a high level starter. Practically speaking, the Broncos got 4 immediate starters with 1 being an immediate elite player. At minimum the Broncos should get 5-6 starters from this offseason class.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Old 04-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
Cowboys

Offseason focus

- Defense wins championships... Improve overall defense, particularly run defense through high quality DT and LB additions

Additons

Martavis Bryant, WR - high upside WR1 talent, vertical and redzone threat, off the field issues that Jerruh loves to fix
Austin Hooper, TE - solid blocker, quality conventional "Y", will be long term TE2, gets a year to learn behind Witten
Joe Barksdale, OT - Not stellar, but solid OT competition and above average swing OT quality

1. (#19) Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa - Immediate starter at CB, gives Dallas 3-4 quality CBs
2. (#50) Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford - Immediate starter at DT, high quality and productive run stuffer
4a. (#116) traded
4b. (#137) DeShon Elliott, S, Texas - Quality S contributor/competition, knack for making plays on the ball
5a. (#169) (f/ Phi) Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa - speed/receiving threat to complete the RB monster rotation
5b. (#171) traded
6b. (#193) Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB, Alabama - very high upside LB, starter qualities if he can recover from knee injury, good locker room guy
6c. (#200) (f/ Atl) Hercules Mata'afa, DL - rotational DL, replacement for Tapper lost in trade, good interior pass rush
7. (#236) Bradley Bozeman, G/C, Alabama - quality IOL depth from a winning program, looked good at seniorbowl

4 Immediate starters on Defense with potentially 3+ high quality impact starters

Weapons for Dak
+ WR1 and depth WR

Improved Depth
+ OL Depth
Solid draft makes Dallas immediate contenders

1st Rashaan Evans LB
2nd Harrison Phillips DT
3rd Jamarco Jones OT
4th Nick Nelson CB
5th Nyheim Hines RB/WR
6th Eddy Pineiro K
7th BPA
Old 04-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecho91 View Post
Solid draft makes Dallas immediate contenders
Yeah kind of an outrageous offseason... I feel like I added a number of good pieces on defense, but can you imagine this offense... Dak would have legit weapons:

WR
Dez
Martavis
Terrance Williams
Cedric Wilson
Cole Beasley
Ryan Switzer

RB
Zeke
Coleman
Wadley

TE
Witten
Andrews
Hooper
Hanna

And that's not even including Hurns who may or may not be on this list depending on FA rules here.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
Cowboys

Offseason focus

Additions

4a. (#116) traded
5b. (#171) traded

Weapons for Dak
+ WR1 and depth WR

Improved Depth
+ OL Depth
Bradley Bozeman was taken by the Packers with the 172nd pick.