Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2018, 07:10 PM
I'm No Noob

Well this appears to be the of a very special place for me. I've always cheered, I've sometimes mocked and vented, but I always loved this place.

If a suitable board with many of you pops up before the end of the month and we can continue with this misguided and abused band of misfits then I am game.

If not, thanks for an amazing 11 years as El Tee.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:12 PM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Agreed.

14 years, Roo.

It's been one heckuva ride. Thanks for everything you did to get this place off the ground.
Kind of feels like I got the news that one of my children is dying. It's probably time for me to quit watching football anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Joel will be along to post his thoughts on the decision, I'm sure.

Hopefully he will address this.

I know before the move, our annual server bill was about $18k per year. This may be part of the decision, but I think it's more geared towards the majority of people who use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram/SnapChat these days. Public message boards are becoming obsolete. Everyone these days seems more inclined to post a single thought, and go versus having indepth analysis and conversations.
That's a shame. I don't post here often, but I've regularly frequented these boards for 10+ years now to read the analysis and opinions of posters who know the game and are capable of discussing it at a higher level than the casual fan. I also don't think message boards are necessarily obsolete, because I'm a member of boards for other sports teams which are quite active (on par or even greater than 10 years ago). Like others have already said, there's still a place for forums like this when it comes to detailed conversations between the more hardcore fan base, as opposed to the limited dialogue you get on sites like Facebook and Twitter.

No doubt the move to LA significantly cut into the team's fan base, and as we all know, it's been much quieter around here over the last year. So I guess I see why they would do this given the cost to maintain the forum, but it's definitely a step in the wrong direction towards cultivating a new core fan base when you alienate the few that you have left from the SD days. This is quickly becoming, if not already so, the most embarrassing team situation in professional sports. Just search "Chargers" on Twitter and you'll see why and what a "brilliant" idea it would be to move fan discussion from here to sites like that...
Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Aww Shucks!

Wow. This is the last thing I suspected when I opened this thread.

Almost 13 years... I am truly going to miss this site
Old 09-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Thank you CMB

My goodness... I don't know what to say, you guys are going to be sorely missed. I've never been interested in any other Chargers forum except this one. I guess its the end of the road, how sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Thank you CMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrger View Post
They donít want to advertise how aenimic their fan base is after a decade of gaffs. There are high school teams in Texas with larger and more loyal fan bases than the Chargers. Shut the board down in an effort to disguise this fact.

Honestly though... There are a very small number of people that use this board regularly. Its always the same handful of people, I completely understand the reasoning. Just think, for a long while we have had our very own Charger board and had some great discussion.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:26 PM
NN #3

While I haven't posted on this forum in years, I have continued to visit to follow news/opinions on the Chargers. I have so many wonderful memories on this forum, and it's really sad to see things are coming to an end.

For those of you looking for a new home, consider America's Finest Sports Forum https://afsportsforum.com/ (formerly Bolttalk.com). It's made up exclusively of current and former Chargers fans (many from this forum), however, was recently rebranded to be more of a general sports forum to accommodate some of the fans who chose to no longer support the Chargers after the move to LA.

Most of the conversation is still heavily based around the Chargers. Lots of good people, many who you may recognize from the past on this forum. If you prefer a forum layout similar to this site, it will be an easy transition - especially for some of us older guys who might not be comfortable with the style of platforms such as Reddit/Facebook/Twitter, etc. All are welcome to come and check it out - I hope you do!

Go Bolts!!

Last edited by DFWBoltFan; 09-10-2018 at 08:08 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt4Life View Post
I recommend all come to Reddit.com/r/chargers Lots of great memes and conversations on there. A lot of younger people who are good with video/picture editing so people make some funny stuff.

They have killed new members coming here when they took the link off the front page. I know for a fact that keeping a message board attached to a website is extremely cheap. I see Joel says talk to them on Twitter/Facebook but those are completely different venues. Facebook attracts a lot of down right dumb people when it comes to football. Twitter is full of trolls and with so few characters it is hard to have a conversation.
Believe it or not, there are people who get hired to troll other people on the internet. I've seen people who are hired to troll Dean Spanos on social media. This is a reality people need to find out. Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Snapchat, Instagram, Pinterest, and others of the like seem to attract the wrong people. We live in a world now where things just get crazier and crazier.

Quote:
This may be part of the decision, but I think it's more geared towards the majority of people who use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram/SnapChat these days. Public message boards are becoming obsolete. Everyone these days seems more inclined to post a single thought, and go versus having indepth analysis and conversations.
All of this is because people have mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. People are less likely to type out lengthy messages on a mobile device. The PC still has its place. About message boards/forums becoming obsolete. That's not true. Mobile devices are also responsible for this. People visit websites less now than they used to. Message boards used to have a vast amount of people active on them, but there are less people on an average forum now. This is a phenomenon that goes on. A lot of forums or message boards are less active than they used to be, yes. But people still come to them. People are going to realize or find out how valuable the quality of forums are. They'll want to come back to them more over social media outlets.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBoltFan View Post
Honestly though... There are a very small number of people that use this board regularly. Its always the same handful of people, I completely understand the reasoning. Just think, for a long while we have had our very own Charger board and had some great discussion.
I think the move thinned out the # of posters from previous yrs, this past offseason was pretty thin/quiet, however, it's picked up quite a bit since the season started again.

I hope there's someplace out there somewhat similar, this was a good forum IMO, not perfect, some didn't like the rules, personally I liked it overall and kept coming back yr after yr.

Gonna miss it for sure.

Go Chargers!

*EDIT* Look at the game day thread from Chargers vs. chiefs 44,287 views that's not too shabby for 1 day.

Last edited by Da_Cha-gers; 09-10-2018 at 07:46 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Dang! Loved talking football with you guys... especially enjoyed the draftniks and their wealth of knowledge. Have visited many other "Chargers' sites, but you guys were always the most knowledgeable and loyal.

In many ways, I'm not surprised... there have been many poor decisions made over the years... this fits into that category.

Happy trails fellas!