Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 11:56 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
AFC - NFC

why not have one in each
That's how I originally became a Chargers fan.

I moved to the DC area at age 11 (in 1971), right when George Allen arrived in town. I was a Redskins fanatic for the better part of 30 years since then. I moved out to OC in 1982, but continued to follow the Skins as they went on to win 3 Lombardi's over the next decade with Joe Gibbs at the helm.

Then after being out here for so many years, the former Maryland head coach Bobby Ross was hired as the Chargers coach for 1992, so I decided to adopt an AFC team from down south. Fandom didn't start out so well when the Bolts went 0-4 out of the gates, but things turned around quickly.

Distance from DC and The Daniel drove me away from real fandom with the Skins when Snyder lasered in on the prototypical eye candy (Jeff George) and fired Marty following a season where the Skins finished with an 8-3 run.

I am not a Rams fan, but I want to see them do well as they finally have turned it around after getting rid of Teflon Jeff, IMO the biggest NFL con man that existed over the course of my 50 years of NFL fandom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:59 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
The Chargers will never be an LA team. Recent news reveals NFL owners were furious with Dean Spanos for exercising the option to move, the franchise has failed to increase in value as Dean had banked on, and is actually losing ground in value compared to the rest of the league and there are backroom maneuvers to move the team back to San Diego. I agree with Sonora, "Fight for LA" is a weak slogan, short-sighted and perhaps arrogant by the Chargers braintrust, believing their team to be superior to the Rams and would win first and faster, unprepared for the turnaround the Rams have made in just one season. I believe the Chargers will end up back in San Diego, under different ownership.
Who will build the stadium? The same ones who built an NBA arena after the Clippers skipped town??

That's a pipe dream. The NFL returned to LA because one of the richest 15 individuals in the world (who is married to somebody richer than him) was able to frontload billions of dollars for a stadium / business complex that will eventually result in a profit due to the massive corporate presence in one of the largest business centers in the world.

Nobody is going to gift SD a stadium. They will have to eventually make money on the deal, and it will require SD taxpayers providing exponentially larger funds than it would have taken to get a deal done over the past 15 years.

It sucks, but that's reality.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:41 AM
Twitter: @Vrabel56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
The Chargers will never be an LA team. Recent news reveals NFL owners were furious with Dean Spanos for exercising the option to move, the franchise has failed to increase in value as Dean had banked on, and is actually losing ground in value compared to the rest of the league and there are backroom maneuvers to move the team back to San Diego. I agree with Sonora, "Fight for LA" is a weak slogan, short-sighted and perhaps arrogant by the Chargers braintrust, believing their team to be superior to the Rams and would win first and faster, unprepared for the turnaround the Rams have made in just one season. I believe the Chargers will end up back in San Diego, under different ownership.

According to Forbes, the move/new stadium increased value by 1.3 billion. Dont be fooled by Derek Togerson trying to manipulate you. Of course their value didnt increase this past season. Ticket prices didnt go up and the stadium didnt get bigger.

I find it a bit sad when I see people say the Chargers value didnt go up because they were duped by Derek Togersons manipulative writing.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:14 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt4Life View Post
According to Forbes, the move/new stadium increased value by 1.3 billion. Dont be fooled by Derek Togerson trying to manipulate you. Of course their value didnt increase this past season. Ticket prices didnt go up and the stadium didnt get bigger.

I find it a bit sad when I see people say the Chargers value didnt go up because they were duped by Derek Togersons manipulative writing.
You don't have to rub it in. Emperor's are people too ya know.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:20 AM
Thank you CMB

If the Chargers are ever sold and moved somewhere else I really doubt it will be back to San Diego. That's when my NFL days are likely over.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Cool story on how you became a fan of the Bolts. Chargers- Redskins connections abound. Joe Gibbs was an offensive coordinator under Don Coryell and General Manager, Bobby Beathard ended up leaving Washington for San Diego. His first hire as coach Bobby Ross.

The Ross led Chargers we're the golden years for me in being a fan of the team. I liked Bobby's intensity and accountability he brought to the squad. The team played hard and they we're disciplined.

Loved how they utilized similar styles in offense with the Redskins. In fact, I remembered Joe Gibbs watching intently the AFC Championship game against the Steelers like he was a Charger fan. It looked all so eerily familiar to him when the Bolts ran Natrone Means with two tight end sets. They we're victorious that day and it was their only earned trip to the Super Bowl. A day no Charger fan can forget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
That's how I originally became a Chargers fan.

I moved to the DC area at age 11 (in 1971), right when George Allen arrived in town. I was a Redskins fanatic for the better part of 30 years since then. I moved out to OC in 1982, but continued to follow the Skins as they went on to win 3 Lombardi's over the next decade with Joe Gibbs at the helm.

Then after being out here for so many years, the former Maryland head coach Bobby Ross was hired as the Chargers coach for 1992, so I decided to adopt an AFC team from down south. Fandom didn't start out so well when the Bolts went 0-4 out of the gates, but things turned around quickly.

Distance from DC and The Daniel drove me away from real fandom with the Skins when Snyder lasered in on the prototypical eye candy (Jeff George) and fired Marty following a season where the Skins finished with an 8-3 run.

I am not a Rams fan, but I want to see them do well as they finally have turned it around after getting rid of Teflon Jeff, IMO the biggest NFL con man that existed over the course of my 50 years of NFL fandom.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:50 AM
All-Pro

Plenty of room for both in LA and southern California....Jets and Giants manage it...and as time heals more wounds, jaded SD fans will regain their zeal for the team, and bolster the ranks of attending fans...I'm from central Illinois, but I can read a map...90 minutes one way is nothing to attend a football game if you're a goer...if the Chargers were 3 hours one way from my door, I'd have season tickets.

Now the Rams are definitely ahead on the score card, and are likely to stay there, unless we can pull the late round knockout with a SB win before the Rams get theirs.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:49 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargingBolts View Post
I didn't see any fights, the fans were cool. I went to represent in a Powder Blue Jersey and expected to see like 5% Bolt fans, I was amazed, out by the concessions and bathrooms it was like 90% Bolt fans!! Walking out of the stadium it was like 40% - 45% Charger fans.
I think a lot of fans came from SD. I think they went to this game not because its cheaper than stub hub but because they simply refuse to support dean. So what better way to go watch your team play and not support spanos than by going to the enemy's home game. My friend went to this game. He said he will not go to stub hub.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBoltFan View Post
If the Chargers are ever sold and moved somewhere else I really doubt it will be back to San Diego. That's when my NFL days are likely over.
San Diego is a backwater sports town. Much smaller cities like Charlotte and Cincinnati have shown support and loyalty never demonstrated by San Diego.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Who will build the stadium? The same ones who built an NBA arena after the Clippers skipped town??

That's a pipe dream. The NFL returned to LA because one of the richest 15 individuals in the world (who is married to somebody richer than him) was able to frontload billions of dollars for a stadium / business complex that will eventually result in a profit due to the massive corporate presence in one of the largest business centers in the world.

Nobody is going to gift SD a stadium. They will have to eventually make money on the deal, and it will require SD taxpayers providing exponentially larger funds than it would have taken to get a deal done over the past 15 years.

It sucks, but that's reality.
You nailed it Joe.