Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2018, 04:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBoltFan View Post
What's funny is there has been zero praise throughout the entire winning streak. Praise always goes to the players and players alone.

Our talent can compensate for lesser teams, our coaching can't compensate for good teams.
^ This. Agree 100%...Whiz is getting old...the younger HC's and OC's have a lot more creative plays, with motion, play action, a few gadget plays once in a while. Whiz dials up a few creative plays in the first two series or so, then it's back to the vanilla offense...ZZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzzzz....
3. Darnell Savage, S, Maryland
4. Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama St.
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old 11-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBoltFan View Post
Harbaugh replaced Cameron week 14 and they won the Superbowl that year.
I know. I said that. Another example is when we replaced Ted Cottrell with Ron Rivera in 2008 during the bye. Those are the exceptions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 11-20-2018, 07:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
I know. I said that. Another example is when we replaced Ted Cottrell with Ron Rivera in 2008 during the bye. Those are the exceptions.
Ah the good ole days...

On the players side (as opposed to coaching), I remember when we signed guys like Chris Chambers and D. Alexander (off the street) mid season. They both made impacts.

I just don't see TT as aggressive enough to make impact signings during the season when necessary. Once the season starts, you pretty much know what you've got for the year under TT in terms of talent level. In general, no major adjustments are made to address areas of need on the fly.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:36 PM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post
Ah the good ole days...

On the players side (as opposed to coaching), I remember when we signed guys like Chris Chambers and D. Alexander (off the street) mid season. They both made impacts.

I just don't see TT as aggressive enough to make impact signings during the season when necessary. Once the season starts, you pretty much know what you've got for the year under TT in terms of talent level. In general, no major adjustments are made to address areas of need on the fly.
I believe Chambers was from a trade, but I get your point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
I believe Chambers was from a trade, but I get your point.
Yes he was ( I wasn't implying otherwise). TT doesn't like to make too many waves during the season is the point, trade or otherwise.

While I don't think the future needs to be scarified for the present, I also think more could have been done pre-trade deadline to help the team without auctioning off the future. I think TT could still make an impactful signing and I hope he does.

Last edited by SD SneakKing; 11-20-2018 at 08:58 PM..
Old 11-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Ah the good ole days...

I think you have selective memory about these guys. Chris Chamber was a 2nd round trade in the middle of the 2007 season that was only effective with us for a year (last half of 2007 and first half of 2008 before his injury, and subsequent cut in 2009). He was also traded for because he had played in Norv's system before. Not sure if he was worth the 2nd round pick for what we got. Danario Alexander was another decried "trash" pickup by AJ Smith before he did some amazing things for us for half a season (abeit a loss season in 2012).

As for TT, I think he does a decent job given the salary cap circumstances as well as finding the right personnel for the coaches. Not to mention the future implications. Heck, so far Mike Badgley has shown you that TT can pick up signings that can make an impact. Some other names that pop up in the past include Lawrence Guy and Korey Toomer.

Honestly, I didn't see anyone before the trade deadline that was worth trading for.

Unleash the Rivers!!!

Last edited by Xenos; 11-20-2018 at 08:00 PM..
Old 11-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Ah the good ole days...

Yep, the good old days, when we also signed OT Willie Smith in mid season...yep that sure was a good signing. Yep, good old Willie was a cornerstone O-lineman for the Bolts for years, right? Oh, and speaking of O-tackles, another gem of a mid-year signing that comes to mind is good old Lazy Gaither...yep, that one turned out pretty good, didn't it? The Bolts only had to shell out around $24 million bucks for him, and they even got five GAMES out of him...averages out to around $5 mil a game...Yep, those free agents we signed sure were a lot better back in the good old days...
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP

Last edited by topcat4477; 11-20-2018 at 08:05 PM..
Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
I think you have selective memory about these guys. Chris Chamber was a 2nd round trade in the middle of the 2007 season that was only effective with us for a year (last half of 2007 and first half of 2008 before his injury, and subsequent cut in 2009). He was also traded for because he had played in Norv's system before. Danario Alexander was another decried "trash" pickup by AJ Smith before he did some amazing things for us for half a season (abeit a loss season in 2012).

As for TT, I think he does a decent job given the salary cap circumstances as well as finding the right personnel for the coaches. Heck, so far Mike Badgley has shown you that TT can pick up signings that can make an impact. Some other names that pop up in the past include Lawrence Guy and Korey Toomer.
My memory is quite clear on both as I stated. Nothing I said contradicts what you just said about them. Both made impacts when they were brought onto the team. One via trade and one off the street. The risk to reward ratio was quite viable.

Mike Badgley has made a positive impact but took us way too long to find. TT didn't address the kicker issue properly after last year's debacle cost us the playoffs. Way overdue.

Guy and Toomer in the past 5 years? What else ya got? I'm not impressed.

Last edited by SD SneakKing; 11-20-2018 at 08:32 PM..
Old 11-20-2018, 08:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
Yep, the good old days, when we also signed OT Willie Smith in mid season...yep that sure was a good signing. Yep, good old Willie was a cornerstone O-lineman for the Bolts for years, right? Oh, and speaking of O-tackles, another gem of a mid-year signing that comes to mind is good old Lazy Gaither...yep, that one turned out pretty good, didn't it? The Bolts only had to shell out around $24 million bucks for him, and they even got five GAMES out of him...averages out to around $5 mil a game...Yep, those free agents we signed sure were a lot better back in the good old days...
The good old days as in us firing Cotrell to replace him with a much better DC (not that anyone could consider cheeseburger Cotrell a DC lol).

But since were' on the topic, topcat...

We're talking about returned value for midseason impact players here who fill a roll with low risk/viable cost per need.

Gaither was actually hands down the best value we got that year when we got him late in season. He played well and his cost was 201,470.59. It wasn't until the following year that he proceeded to screw over the Chargers in Free Agency. Chargers were very stupid about that one and didn't do their due diligence when they gave him that contract. But again as a midseason signing he filled his roll quite well for the rest of the season with low financial risk.

Willie Smith I don't remember much about. But I don't think he was paid all that much for his midseason signing from what I recall. That one is vague in my mind though. Wasn't he brought in under Telesco? If so, that pretty much proves my point - Telesco isn't doing enough to bring in impact players during the season in general as I had mentioned originally.

Last edited by SD SneakKing; 11-20-2018 at 09:00 PM..
Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The good old days as in us firing Cotrell to replace him with a much better DC (not that anyone could consider cheeseburger Cotrell a DC lol).

But since were' on the topic, topcat...

We're talking about returned value for midseason impact players here who fill a roll with low risk/viable cost per need.

Gaither was actually hands down the best value we got that year when we got him late in season. He played well and his cost was 201,470.59. It wasn't until the following year that he proceeded to screw over the Chargers in Free Agency. Chargers were very stupid about that one and didn't do their due diligence when they gave him that contract. But again as a midseason signing he filled his roll quite well for the rest of the season with low financial risk.

Willie Smith I don't remember much about. But I don't think he was paid all that much for his midseason signing from what I recall. That one is vague in my mind though. Wasn't he brought in under Telesco? If so, that pretty much proves my point - Telesco isn't doing enough to bring in impact players during the season in general as I had mentioned originally.
Agree with you, Sneak, about bolded part. Bolts ignored all the red flags about Gaither's history of slacking and treated him like an established, top shelf, high work ethic player...wrong...
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP