Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 05:54 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
You look at the 49ers with their west coast offense in the eighties. Short passes seen as long hand offs. Move the chains 3,5,7 drop passes once they sustain a rhythm. Real tough to stop. The Walsh's offense was dismantled through a dominant defenses ala Giants (twice), the Bears and Redskins in the eighties. They had to step up their game to match the West Coast offenses.

The Patriots embraced the short game but also we're able to run off tackle at will which set up play action. The Chargers played their best against the Ravens in the playoffs. For a moment there, they displayed elements of a swarming, aggressive hard hitting defense.

We need to add talented players in the middle of our defense. Players that can sustain the punishment of a full season. Derwin James is a huge piece of this defense Bosa too. Denzel is talented but you can't really trust him to finish a whole season. I question his motivation. If I'm him I'm working out to get in the best shape of my life with something to prove.

Melvin Ingram has that fire and work ethnic. I don't think Denzel has it and is expendable. Maybe he could be depth for us but he's looking to start elsewhere. We also need a defensive tackle that can rush the passer and snuff the run. A player that can be interchangeable with Bosa and Ingram. That would be a bad mutha group to mess with in the middle of our defense.

Hats off to the Saints in how they drafted especially their offensive line. We have free agents and middle round/ UFA talent on our line. It's showed on Sunday. We need to upgrade our offensive line. The hurt stings...especially for Philip being where he is at the end of his career. I think this was his best chance to win it all.

It's hard to make a run be 12-4...this season surpassed my expectations. Can we improve going into next season? The core is a young group....or do we seek to draft a talented quarter back to grow with this young core? Right now you have the Browns, Eagles, Ravens, Jets, Texans and Chiefs all emerging with new generation of quarterbacks. The tide is turning and Rivers clock is ticking....management needs to decide on keeping him and filling the holes or drafting a top QB. Easier said than done.
Motivation? I don't think you know what you're talking about when it comes to injuries. You can try to minimize it. But sometimes genetics are against you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Minimize it? You a Denzel fan? Sorry to upset your sensibilities. He can't seem to finish a full season(s). That's a fact bro. His last injury was not coming off a big hit or collision. He fell awkwardly tearing up his knee.

Lynn says the best trait is availability. Denzel seems to break down and play parts of season not all. It is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
Motivation? I don't think you know what you're talking about when it comes to injuries. You can try to minimize it. But sometimes genetics are against you.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
Minimize it? You a Denzel fan? Sorry to upset your sensibilities. He can't seem to finish a full season(s). That's a fact bro. His last injury was not coming off a big hit or collision. He fell awkwardly tearing up his knee.

Lynn says the best trait is availability. Denzel seems to break down and play parts of season not all. It is what it is.
My problem is that you correlate motivation with injury for some stupid reason. It's one thing if he was lazy and did not have a good work ethic. But everything from the coaching staff and Lynn was that he's a leader and a hard worker. Unfortunately, some players are more injury prone than others. And sometimes it's just stupid luck. Rivers, for example, torn his ACL against the Colts because he landed awkwardly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Is it time to panic yet?

Yes, everyone knows Brady picks apart "Gus's" scheme. But going back and watching the first couple drives - just the first couple drives, it was more than scheme issues. It was personnel issues.
  • Pullard not being able to fight thru blocks or cover.
  • Addae out of position twice (surprise)
  • Philon having to cover the flat (he was dropping to the middle but Brady swung it out to the back)
  • Davis literally running away from his man (beyond a bad angle, just, wow...)
    2 defenders having #11 in the grasp and not able to tackle

These were all 1st down conversions in like the first two or three drives.

There was some good plays during the drives, really - they were negated by a god-awful play afterward to convert. I mean like every time it counted. Not to mention Gronk was getting away with murder. At least 2 obvious OPI calls could have been made on 1st down conversions.

Not convinced at all a different scheme would have done much better.

Lack of execution and playmakers unable to make plays because they lack the supporting cast. Losing even a couple guys like Brown/Perryman/Liuget really stands out in the playoffs.

― Thomas Paine

"We some dogs....we take what we want.."

- Keenan Allen

Last edited by MidwestBolt; 01-17-2019 at 06:47 AM..
Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Hall of Famer

We need better personnel on the oline, but whiz needs to learn to adjust and stop forcing it downfield when the oline is struggling. The offensive output started declining around week 11 or so and never really recovered. Not what you want to see heading into the playoffs.

On the flip side, Bradley came into NE with the worst gameplan possible. A soft cover zone against Brady? He went from hero to zero in a week (Baltimore to New England). White was getting 8-9 yards on 1 yard passes. You have to take away the underneath stuff from Brady and make him beat you deep. Everyone knows that by now. We gave them huge cushions and paid for it the whole first half.

Ultimately we lost another year of Rivers career due to horrible game planning. The injuries and fatigue excuses are just that, excuses. It may be even more difficult next year unfortunately.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:14 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmacn2002 View Post
They played zone D against Brady, ZONE? Who does that??
A hand full of times I read analysts say you cant go 7 DBs against Brady, and we go 7 DBs AND zone..

Despite it, I say w/ confidence that if Coach Bradley would be given a do over, he'd make all the right adjustments with the little he has. But thats the problem, we have too many holes. DT, MLB, CB (ish), FS. A huge disadvantage in the playoffs - putting aside facing the best QB that has ever lived..

Zone was a terrible decision, but this will make a good Coach great, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMamba View Post
Outside of Rivers and Gates, this wasn't a very experienced playoff team, including head coach. PR gets all the headlines, so that little fact gets lost in the shuffle, but we're a fairly young team that was not too far off from teams like the Bears and Colts in that regard. Yet, the narrative is that they have bright futures and we blew one of our last opportunities. Go figure. I get that it's hard to separate this team from past Chargers' teams in the media's eyes because of PR, but it's really a whole new team that should get a clean slate.

I think it's natural to get caught up in the excitement of a big winning streak and several exhilarating comebacks, and don't get me wrong, we had the talent to get it done...with some breaks going our way, of course. But man, we were 5-11 a couple of seasons ago and fired our coach, missed the playoffs again last season after starting 0-4. From that perspective, this was a damn successful season and a great stepping stone for bigger things ahead. In hindsight, it shouldn't be surprising at all that we lost to the more experienced team (and that's an understatement), and it shouldn't be understated how big of a learning lesson this could end up being for a coach who's proven he can change and adapt over his short tenure so far and a young, close-knit team that's as hungry for success as any we've had.

I fully expect us to bounce back and respond like the Saints did to their playoff disappointment last year. The best is yet to come...
Here Here! Nailed it.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Potato ...tomato. Injuries are subjective and yes some are more prone than others. Take Ingram ACL tear he came back like Henry in time for the playoffs. He didn't stop there he worked out in the off season committed to losing 20 pounds the following season and had productive season injury free with double digit sacks. He's developed his game and his physical condition progressing his performance to an All Pro level.

I'm looking for Perryman to do the same...he's what 3rd/ 4th year pro? I'm not seeing that same motivation to be the best he can be. We will need to draft someone to take his place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
My problem is that you correlate motivation with injury for some stupid reason. It's one thing if he was lazy and did not have a good work ethic. But everything from the coaching staff and Lynn was that he's a leader and a hard worker. Unfortunately, some players are more injury prone than others. And sometimes it's just stupid luck. Rivers, for example, torn his ACL against the Colts because he landed awkwardly.

Last edited by ltinabottle; 01-17-2019 at 02:09 AM..
Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBolt View Post
Yes, everyone knows Brady picks apart "Gus's" scheme. But going back and watching the first couple drives - just the first couple drives, it was more than scheme issues. It was personnel issues.
  • Pullard not being able to fight thru blocks or cover.
  • Addae out of position twice (surprise)
  • Philon having to cover the flat (fire zone blitz - he was dropping to the middle but Brady swung it out to the back)
  • Davis literally running away from his man (beyond a bad angle, just, wow...)
    2 defenders having #11 in the grasp and not able to tackle

These were all 1st down conversions in like the first two or three drives.

There was some good plays during the drives, really - they were negated by a god-awful play afterward to convert. I mean like every time it counted. Not to mention Gronk was getting away with murder. At least 2 obvious OPI calls could have been made on 1st down conversions.

Not convinced at all a different scheme would have done much better.

Lack of execution and playmakers unable to make plays because they lack the supporting cast. Losing even a couple guys like Brown/Perryman/Liuget really stands out in the playoffs.
I saw Pullard make a really good tackle on one of those drives: he shouldn't be expected to fight through blocks & cover well.

If Addae was out of position, he was confused and the coaches didn't properly prepare him.

How many DTs cover effectively rbs in the flat?

Teams don't execute well because the other team doesn't want them to do so; they have some say in the matter. If players aren't put in a good position, don't expect them to "execute" properly the game plan.

Down 35 - 7 at the half screams of a bad mis-judgement by the coaching staff: especially with the Charger O not turning the ball over. Fatigue of consecutive east coast trips? who knows?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Hall of Famer

1st Pats drive blow up the Zone D. TD
2nd Pats drive blow up the zone D again. TD
3rd Pats drive blow up the zone D again. TD
4th Pats drive blow up the zone D one more time. TD

If you leave Brady clean in the pocket he will destroy you. Pass rush is the only way you will beat Tom B!!!( Well know fact in the NFL!!!) For some reason the chargers coaches didn't know what the rest of the NFL knows.

“The way to beat Tom Brady is to hit him,” Ware wrote for The Players Tribune in a story that ran Tuesday. “As many times as you can, hit him. And even then, it might not be enough. In the AFC Championship Game a couple of years ago, we sacked Tom four times and we hit him 20 times.
(That was DeMarcus Ware)

When we play the Patriots, this is the game plan:
Sack Tom Brady.
That’s it.
End of article.
We good here?
Nah, nah … there’s more to it than that, of course. But let’s start there because when you play the Patriots, getting to Tom Brady is where everything starts.
(Von Miller)

You have to rattle him. There are different ways to do that: You can sack him, you can knock him down, you can have him moving his feet a lot.

(Justin Tuck)

I could keep going EVERYONE knows how to beat Tom B is a sure thing no, But is it the only way for the most part yes.

So really the WHOLE NFL knows this and what did the Chargers do rush three or four and run a zone. And paid the price if it wasn't the coaches I take it the players were picking the plays?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Agreed. I didn't get the zone coverage given past game plans at the highest stage was clearly accomplished by the Giants not once but twice, They had outstanding personnel but realized that if they want to beat Brady, they had to pressure him, affect his throws sack him. Rules we're not as restrictive then so they we're physical with him with hits after his throws and pushing him to the ground. This was what I was expecting on Sunday.

Brady picked us apart and their offensive line run and pass blocked really well. Gronk had a single catch but was involved in key plays where he blocked Ingram on run plays as a TE and lined up as a FB/HB to do wham blocks to protect Brady on pass plays. Great performance by Gronk and the offensive line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post
We need better personnel on the oline, but whiz needs to learn to adjust and stop forcing it downfield when the oline is struggling. The offensive output started declining around week 11 or so and never really recovered. Not what you want to see heading into the playoffs.

On the flip side, Bradley came into NE with the worst gameplan possible. A soft cover zone against Brady? He went from hero to zero in a week (Baltimore to New England). White was getting 8-9 yards on 1 yard passes. You have to take away the underneath stuff from Brady and make him beat you deep. Everyone knows that by now. We gave them huge cushions and paid for it the whole first half.

Ultimately we lost another year of Rivers career due to horrible game planning. The injuries and fatigue excuses are just that, excuses. It may be even more difficult next year unfortunately.