Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2019, 12:30 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniaque 5 View Post
Since last year, the Patriots have lost Nate Solder and C. Fleming on their OL. They replace them by Matt Tobin and Trent Brown. Brown is a monster at 6' 8'', 355 pounds. The biggest Olineman for the Chargers? Sam Tevi at 315!!!!!
According to D. Jeremia, all the 3 prospects OL at the next draft will be gone at 17. I would like to see a trade up with BUF, CIN or CLE. Someone wants a good WR and the 28th spot in exchange?

Am I the only one who thinks that the N-E's Oline was often near the limit of holding during the last game? Mostly the #60 and 62...
Don't forget -- it wasn't that long ago that WE had he biggest O-Line in the NFL.

And it sucked.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
"The offensive line is not broken."

Tom Telesco, in this same video
Delusional. The Chargers OL hasn't provided a consistent pocket for years.

PR is amazing, but he's getting the crud beat out of him as because of the deficient OL.

It's sad, and not sure where TT's mind is at, but he's just wrong on this one. Sad for the future if this is really where his head is at.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Don't forget -- it wasn't that long ago that WE had he biggest O-Line in the NFL.

And it sucked.
Beat me to it.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:30 PM
21st Century Schizoid Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniaque 5 View Post
Since last year, the Patriots have lost Nate Solder and C. Fleming on their OL. They replace them by Matt Tobin and Trent Brown. Brown is a monster at 6' 8'', 355 pounds.
There's a good chance Trent Brown will be available as a free agent.

He's coming off a good year, and the Patriots may not want to pay him premier left tackle money, when they have his replacement waiting in the wings (2018 1st round draft choice Isaiah Wynne, who spent the year on IR).

Certainly the Pats would like to keep Brown, but they would probably ask him to take less than what he would make on the open market.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Hall of Famer

T. Brown was acquired by a trade with SF.
Why the 49ers let him go?
And someone knows how much did it cost?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maniaque 5

Last edited by Maniaque 5; 01-19-2019 at 08:55 PM..
Old 01-20-2019, 03:28 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderblueboy View Post
And New England isn't known for having a great front 7. There were guys getting penetration & blowing up plays who generally don't (who the hell is Adam Butler for God's sake?)

Pouncey wore down as the season progressed - as expected.
Nominated for Freak Out of the Day.

I likey.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:30 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
Yup... as a matter of fact... they got destroyed in every game starting with the Raven home loss. I think opposing Ds just watched that film... saw where to effectively attack our OL and executed.... literally. Result? The O went down the tubes and everyone blames it on Rivers. PR can't win the big one... PR makes too many mistakes... PR throws too many picks.... but when the OL was solid... he was nails. They conveniently forget the GIANT comebacks on the road against Pitt and KC. All... I mean ALL... QBs suffer when they lack protection. PR had a top 15 OL for 3/4 of a season... and he was on his way to his best statistical year... then the Ravens expose the OL, his numbers plummet and fans and pundits alike go right back to saying PR is 2nd tier. For once, I would love to see what would happen if PR had an OL close to what the Colts fielded this year... or the Dallas OL from a couple of years ago. I think it would be special. Brees and Brady are still playing at a very high level and they have a few years on PR... starting over with a new QB would destroy this legit talent window. It is a terrible idea. Not saying that we shouldn't draft a better backup alternative... because ours are currently terrible... we could not win a single game with them... but PR is three starts away from being 2nd All-Time for consecutive starts... he is nails. Give him a superior OL and he can perform as a top 10 QB for at least three more years.

EDIT - BTW, drafting a young QB does not mean that they are going to be Wilson or Mahommes. For each of these successes... there are 4 or more QBs that will never approach the ability of a 37 year old PR. Furthermore, you generally select these guys high in the 1st round... moving up from 28 would be awfully expensive.
Your Emperor's favorite Performance Improvement method !!!!

Old 01-20-2019, 03:33 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
I didn't destroy it, I acknowledged its' shortcomings. I simply do not see a single starter from this past season being the starter on a Bolts' Super Bowl winning team. Maybe Pouncy.....or Okung, but that would require TT bring in top shelf performers at OG's and ROT. That seems to be a very tough task for TT to get done. Priority for me would be ROT and RG.....roll with Okung another season (I know his money is crazy), Feeney and Pouncy. Then the next off season try to get two of the three addressed.....LOT, LOG, OC. Best case would be for one of the top OL guys to fall to the Bolts this year round one......and it doesn't matter which position, they all are in need of improvement.
I have no problem with upgrading LOG, ROG, and RT.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Go Bolts

Like a few others have said, Rivers is the only reason I still want to see the Chargers win a ring so desperately. I think he will give us another 3 years and retire weeks after his 40th birthday
Old 01-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Philip Rivers... Sigh