Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Seriously? Ask the surgeon?

You mean the guy who publicly stated that he was just hoping to give Brees a functional shoulder?

Who performed groundbreaking surgery to repair the damage?

Is that the surgeon they should have asked?
You got it. Tommy John surgery, the guy, Tommy, who had the first procedure of its kind, came back and did great.

I've said this before, and it would not have been popular to do at the time, but trade LT for a couple of great draft picks to help the D, keep Turner instead who was much younger, and keep Brees. It would have resulted in 2-3 more first rounders.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORjr. View Post
In the SI article, it blatantly says he regained full range of motion, and thats what matter the most.
Did SI print an article guaranteeing that he would regain full range of motion?

Or did they print an article outlining what happened after a never before done surgery, and months of rehab?

Typical surgery, 2-4 anchors. Brees' surgery, 11 anchors. Plus repairing a torn rotator cuff.

It's not like he sprained his shoulder, and AJ told him to pack his bags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
You got it. Tommy John surgery, the guy, Tommy, who had the first procedure of its kind, came back and did great.
And how many didn't?

You said "ask the surgeon". The surgeon said "I just hope I can make his shoulder work again."

So do you go with the surgeons opinion, or not?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
He says the damage in Brees's shoulder joint represented "one of the most unique injuries of any athlete I've ever treated."

Andrews and two other surgeons mended the labrum with the unheard-of total of 11 surgical anchors (three or four is common) and also repaired the rotator cuff. The 90-minute procedure was performed arthroscopically--a godsend for Brees. If the doctors had had to cut through shoulder tissue, his recovery would have been prolonged by months.

Still, Brees faced an arduous rehabilitation, with long odds. "Lord, I was just hoping to give him a functional shoulder," says Andrews. "An average athlete would not recover from this injury."

All that needs to be said. We had a great backup plan, no need to throw everything away on someone who might have never been the same. Loomis lucked into Brees being healthy.
A few key words. DR. Andrews said "I was just hoping..", in past tense. Apparently his opinion after the surgery changed.

An "average" athlete, well, who wants an average athlete anyways. Brees was know for overcoming odds and was not an "average" athlete.

I dont know what the numbers were, but obviously as the AJ quote says, "many people thought the offer was an insult", THATS ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID. AJ has a history of that.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
A few key words. DR. Andrews said "I was just hoping..", in past tense. Apparently his opinion after the surgery changed.

An "average" athlete, well, who wants an average athlete anyways. Brees was know for overcoming odds and was not an "average" athlete.

I dont know what the numbers were, but obviously as the AJ quote says, "many people thought the offer was an insult", THATS ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID. AJ has a history of that.
More like this article was written in 2007 and surgery was in 2006, and Brees played in 2006, and they probably asked shortly before the article was published.....

How is one of only two offers an insult when a FIRST ROUND QB IS SITTING ON THE BENCH? Really?

sean of BSX
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Come on, man. He's speaking in past tense. He's telling you what he thought before the surgery. Not changing his mind afterwards.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but it is hard to fault AJ for not keeping him consideirng how bad it was. Plus, he happened to go to the perfect system.

I think our newest star receiver has had a number of big injuries.

But what I keep trying to get you guys to look at is, not how bad it was before the surgery, but how good it turned out.

Sometimes taking a chance is what it takes. Look at Brady, I think the Pats never thought he had it to be a starter. But they let their starting QB go and take a chance on Brady.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
How is one of only two offers an insult when a FIRST ROUND QB IS SITTING ON THE BENCH? Really?
Meh. This is just more useless AJ bashing. Trying to find any excuse to grind the edge on the hatchet some more.

Unless we're wanting Brees to take over for Norv and Co, then let's move on.

We can debate Brees in the QB section.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
I think our newest star receiver has had a number of big injuries.

But what I keep trying to get you guys to look at is, not how bad it was before the surgery, but how good it turned out.

Sometimes taking a chance is what it takes. Look at Brady, I think the Pats never thought he had it to be a starter. But they let their starting QB go and take a chance on Brady.
Maybe because Bledsoe got badly injured, Brady led them to the playoffs, and a SB win?

sean of BSX
Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
That's pure hindsight in action. Noone knew if he would ever recover after the surgery.

You've got a first round QB sitting on the bench, and you're gonna roll the dice on a maybe?

So they sign Brees, and trade Rivers, and then Brees goes down again. This time for good.

What then? Roast AJ some more for trading Rivers?
What then? Exactly what we have now. NO super bowls, and a crappy team right now,

I dont remember exactly, but did we pick Rivers before , after or duing the surgery?

Not hindsight for me. I was saying it before NO signed him. I cant prove it, but se la vie.