Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 PM
THORjr. THORjr. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TORRANCE
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
His Wiki page could just have easily said:

Played for the San Diego Chargers.

Got hurt playing in a meaningless game, after being put in as starter by a head coach looking to pad his win stats for the year.

Suffered gruesome shoulder injury, and never recovered.
Thats not true at all.
Go ask Brees what the chances are that that is how it would have gone.
Because of how Brees is, as described by his recovery, AJ and co. should have known he was determined enough to at least make a decent recovery, much less a spectacular one.

Bottom line is this,

Let me ask this.
You have a baseball team, you have to choose between keeping Randy Johnson who just came off elbow surgery, at age 28, or a first round draft choice pitcher who has done well in the minors.

I dont think there is a question, EXCEPT FOR HOW MUCH MONEY IS INVOLVED.
The possible upside was so much, I dont see how they could let him go.
I mean, its not like they were trading a draft pick or a good player, and if Brees fails, then we lose some talent,
There was no downside except the money, but you have to spend money if you want to win
Thats what we all want, thats one reason we spend money on the team, in a way you can say its our money. Yea, I know there is a cap, but NO has the same cap, and all the other Perrenial winners, pats, steelers, etc. etc.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM
THORjr. THORjr. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TORRANCE
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundaySilence89 View Post
It's easy to say what if, case in point, what if Bobby Beathard had listened to Mike Riley who was begging him to take Tom Brady in the 6th round of the 2000 draft before the Pats picked him.
EXACTLY. thats the difference between perennial winners and losers.

Some teams have found better talent in the 3-5 rounds than some of our first rounders.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM
JammerHammer23's Avatar
JammerHammer23 JammerHammer23 is offline
Draft This Man
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 24,997
Default

Antonio Gates is one of the best TEs ever. He was undrafted. Therefore, all undrafted TEs we get will be great.

Of course some teams have found better talent in the later rounds than our frist rounder, just as much as our UDFAs are better than some teams first rounders. What's your point?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sean of BSX
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
chargertom's Avatar
chargertom chargertom is offline
Bandwagon Homer Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Richfield
Posts: 73,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORjr. View Post
Go ask Brees what the chances are that that is how it would have gone.
Brees isn't a surgeon. Of course, he was going to be positive, and upbeat. Of course he was going to work his tail off rehabbing the injury. There were 10's of millions of dollars at stake.

But there are just as many patients who are the same way, and who never recover, as there are Brees' out there.

This is ancient history, and really not relevant to the team we have today.

The Chargers refused to roll the dice, and for good reason. NO decided they had nothing to lose, and gave Brees a shot.

He's a great story, and I'm glad that things worked out for him. But his story could have ended much differently, just as easily.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 PM
THORjr. THORjr. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TORRANCE
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Antonio Gates is one of the best TEs ever. He was undrafted. Therefore, all undrafted TEs we get will be great.

Of course some teams have found better talent in the later rounds than our frist rounder, just as much as our UDFAs are better than some teams first rounders. What's your point?
Did AJ bring in Gates?
My point is, to build a winning team takes making sound first round choices, and finding a few diamonds in the rough ALSO.
They are not mutally exclusive of each other.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM
THORjr. THORjr. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TORRANCE
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Brees isn't a surgeon. Of course, he was going to be positive, and upbeat. Of course he was going to work his tail off rehabbing the injury. There were 10's of millions of dollars at stake.

But there are just as many patients who are the same way, and who never recover, as there are Brees' out there.

This is ancient history, and really not relevant to the team we have today.

The Chargers refused to roll the dice, and for good reason. NO decided they had nothing to lose, and gave Brees a shot.

He's a great story, and I'm glad that things worked out for him. But his story could have ended much differently, just as easily.
It is relevant in the point of it shows us how good or bad some of AJ's choices have been, nothing more, nothing less.
Brees has overcome this kind of stuff before, if he had been a guy who had it easy all his life, then it would be more questionable.

I dont think the chargers had much to lose by signing him. And the upside was obviously,,,well, look at what he has done.

How it ends isnt necessarily a complete roll of the dice (it could have just as easily....) WHO is doing the rehab, ala Brees, makes the most difference. Brees has proven this.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Mike8272
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the issue people need to understand is that just because he won a super bowl with the Saints and has broken records does not mean he would have won a super bowl or broken records with us. It is like saying if we had hired Bill Belichick instead of Mike Riley we would have three super bowl victories and two super bowl defeats, but just because he succeeded at New England doesn't mean he would have succeeded here. That is the thing with hindsight, we can say we should have done this, that and the other, but ultimately it has all been and gone, and while losing Drew Brees was a mistake, we only know that it was a mistake because of hindsight!

At the time Brees was a huge risk to keep on, especially with the money that was being branded around. We also had a very talented QB in Philip Rivers waiting for the opportunity. So either way we had an excellent QB to turn to, and in fact as we have witnessed Rivers managed three consecutive seasons as a top five QB, and in his other seasons has put up top ten numbers at times. So it isn't like we ditched Drew Brees and have done what the Buffalo Bills did when they ditched Drew Bledsoe to make room for J.P. Losman who was nowhere near Bledsoe's ability. At least with us we replaced a talented QB in Brees with a talented QB in Rivers.

So as much as we have missed Brees, at the time there was more risk in sticking with Brees than there was going with Rivers. Plus, if we had stuck with Brees then we would have had to trade away Rivers. So what if Brees hadn't recovered and we traded away Rivers? If that happened then we would have no potentially elite QB on the roster. We would have been left in a situation where we would be going through QBs until we find another gem, which as the Dolphins and Bills fans can attest to, elite QBs don't come along all to often.

For me, the right decision was made. But if I had been in their position I would have taken a risk on Drew Brees because he always seemed like a special QB, and as long as he was fit and able, then i would have gone with him instead of taking the plunge on Rivers. But I guess when it comes down to it both guys have had excellent careers, and if this team had the coaching that the Saints did, or a better coaching setup full stop, then this team might have won some super bowls with Rivers at the helm. But again that is using hindsight which no one at the time possessed.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
charger1_sj charger1_sj is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 35,196
Default

I hate to go back to this argument yet again but it needs to be stated.

The mistake was not made after Brees got injured. After the injury there was no way but to do what AJ did.

The mistake and there were two of them were:

1. Drafting PR without giving Brees the chance to develop. In other words we gave up too soon on the guy.

2. Should have traded Brees after the 2004 season as his value was at it's peak and we had already drafted a Qb in the 1st round meaning the decision about the Qb position was already made. Should have stuck to our guns.

Instead we did nothing and faith intervened.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Totally Bolted's Avatar
Totally Bolted Totally Bolted is offline
Moderator of Delusions
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Some where north of San Diego
Posts: 22,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
I hate to go back to this argument yet again but it needs to be stated.

The mistake was not made after Brees got injured. After the injury there was no way but to do what AJ did.

The mistake and there were two of them were:

1. Drafting PR without giving Brees the chance to develop. In other words we gave up too soon on the guy.

2. Should have traded Brees after the 2004 season as his value was at it's peak and we had already drafted a Qb in the 1st round meaning the decision about the Qb position was already made. Should have stuck to our guns.

Instead we did nothing and faith intervened.
Yeah. And a GOOD GM would have know that and done it!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM
charger1_sj charger1_sj is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 35,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
Yeah. And a GOOD GM would have know that and done it!
Brees didn't have a contract after 2004. The smart move would have been to F-Tag him and then trade him. Doesn't take a genuis of a GM, really. We had already drafted PR in the 1st round meaning the decision not to go with Brees was already made. We had second thoughts after 2004 because Brees did so well. That's when he should have been traded.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 PM.


© 2018 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.