Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4aRing View Post
If we get the third pick, it will break over a decade of statistics. It is highly improbable. Besides Star will be there to be had if we draft at 6 IMO.
IF Star drops to our spot, it would be VERY tempting to take him, he would bring this Defense to another level with Reyes and Liuget on either side of him.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFaiderHater View Post
IF Star drops to our spot, it would be VERY tempting to take him, he would bring this Defense to another level with Reyes and Liuget on either side of him.
Yeah that would be alright but we need a OT way more than that. Our defense can make stop but or offense cant get first downs. What is more important to improve?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
Yeah that would be alright but we need a OT way more than that. Our defense can make stop but or offense cant get first downs. What is more important to improve?
Honestly, you gotta take BPA in the top 10. Oday Aboushi, Dallas Thomas, among others will be around in the second that would all be able to come in and be an upgrade.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Agreed. I get the whole "you should always draft the best player available" mantra, but there should be some exceptions. The offensive line is our most obvious need, and while pass rush is also a need, I believe that protecting Philip would win us more games, and ultimately, that's what really matters. Besides, I believe that the core of our defense is set, now we really just need complimetary players more than anything.

Meh
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargermouse View Post
Agreed. I get the whole "you should always draft the best player available" mantra, but there should be some exceptions. The offensive line is our most obvious need, and while pass rush is also a need, I believe that protecting Philip would win us more games, and ultimately, that's what really matters. Besides, I believe that the core of our defense is set, now we really just need complimetary players more than anything.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Embrace the Sadness :'(

Best player available on your board. Let's say Star is 3, and Joekel at 5, then you take Star. You might have Joekel higher than Star if you need a franchise LT though.

You take Star and draft an OT in the 2nd, and/or 3rd, pursue one in Free Agency, if you have Star above Joeckel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Green text is the worst

Luke Joeckel is the only offensive lineman in this class you take ahead of Star. If you eschew the DT for Lewan, Fisher, or Warmack, you're a moron in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts.
I should clarify tho. Let's say we're picking somewhere in the 6-9 range and for some reason both Joeckel and Lewan are gone. Then I'd be ok with drafting the BPA at another position of need, or perhaps consider trading down instead of reaching for a mid first round prospect. Then I'd do everything in my power to solidify our oline.

Edit: just saw Kemp's and T4aR's post. Pretty much that except there's no way in heck we even get to sniff the third overall pick, much less Star.

Meh

Last edited by chargermouse; 12-16-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargermouse View Post
I should clarify tho. Let's say we're picking somewhere in the 6-9 range and for some reason both Joeckel and Lewan are gone. Then I'd be ok with drafting the BPA at another position of need, or perhaps consider trading down instead of reaching for a mid first round prospect. Then I'd do everything in my power to solidify our oline.
You have Lewan rated much higher than I do, he is a mid first rounder in a deeper draft. Star has all the potential to be a REALLY good player for a long time, I am not going to say Ngata yet, but the comparisons are not too far off.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Embrace the Sadness :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Luke Joeckel is the only offensive lineman in this class you take ahead of Star. If you eschew the DT for Lewan, Fisher, or Warmack, you're a moron in my opinion.
I think you bring up a good point. If two players are close on your board, then take the bigger need. If no, take the BPA. Joeckel will be close enough or above Star on some teams' boards. The others won't.