Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Shock and Awe

There are very few times trade downs are worth it. So I'll say again, hit with what you got.
3. Christian Westerman - OG/C - Arizona State
4. Dean Lowry - 34DE - Northwestern
5. Robby Anderson - WR - Temple
6a. Jatavis Brown - ILB - Akron
6b. Victor Ochi - 34OLB - Stony Brook
7. Darrell Greene - OG - San Diego State
Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
If we're picking in the top ten and somehow Joeckel, Lotulelei, Werner, Milliner, and Moore are all gone, I would think about a trade down. But even then the price would have to be right. And I would prefer to trade down into the teens, not the twenties. But I do have to admit that you can't just have a hard and fast rule about it. Each situation is different.
If we are picking at say #9 I could easily see all those players being gone, there is no Luck and RG3 to push talent down this year.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
There are very few times trade downs are worth it. So I'll say again, hit with what you got.
This statement seems like hyperbole
Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
If we are picking at say #9 I could easily see all those players being gone, there is no Luck and RG3 to push talent down this year.
Which is when I would entertain offers. Of course if there are no top prospects on the board, I don't see why someone would really want to trade up. But you never know- they could value someone much more highly than we do. But that's when I would be alright with moving down and aiming for Lewan, Fisher, or Warmack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Which is when I would entertain offers. Of course if there are no top prospects on the board, I don't see why someone would really want to trade up. But you never know- they could value someone much more highly than we do. But that's when I would be alright with moving down and aiming for Lewan, Fisher, or Warmack.
Same, hopefully if we are in that situation someone like Geno Smith will slip and a team will want to pop up to get him.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Hard to believe but 6 of the top 7 draft picks (and half of all 1st round picks) last year involved trades. It's hard to know who the hot prospect becomes on draft day but teams have shown little fear in trading up and down in recent seasons.

It's unreal how draft stock rises and plummets leading up to the draft. Few of us thought that DeCastro and Ingram would both be there at #18 last year. I also couldn't believe that Reyes was there for us in the 2nd round.

I'd love to be drafting in the top 5 as it would give us more options. I'd have no problem if we traded down and drafted one of those guys you listed.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Embrace the Sadness :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearWithJetpack View Post
Consider this, Andy Reid is basically fired already. His team has basically quit on him. What if he wins out and Chargers management goes "Well sure, he was terrible, but look how they ended the year? Andy Reid sure is a great coach!" and hire him (sounds like keeping Norval, right?)

I'd much rather them continue their poor play (winning only enough to give us the better pick, of course), and have management say "Well Andy Reid just doesn't have it anymore, we better not pick him or the fans will riot."

Because I will riot.
Quote:
Reid's job is past saving, but I doubt he comes here. The media is projecting him to come here and I highly doubt they're guessing it correctly this far in advance.
I think both of you are wrong. If the Eagles win out, Cowboys and Giants lose out, and Wash loses two games, than Eagles make the playoffs if I'm not mistaken.

Even if that doesn't happen(which if likely it won't), if Foles continues to impress, he might save Reid's job since it was Reid who essentially drafted him, and groomed him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
No trade downs.

Hit with the picks you have.
Agreed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Green text is the worst

Ok T4, haha. We'll have to wait and see on Reid.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Electric Glide Offense

Quote:
If we're picking in the top ten and somehow Joeckel, Lotulelei, Werner, Milliner, and Moore are all gone, I would think about a trade down. But even then the price would have to be right. And I would prefer to trade down into the teens, not the twenties. But I do have to admit that you can't just have a hard and fast rule about it. Each situation is different.
How about retaining the 1st round pick then trading up our subsquent picks (even a 2014 pick) for another 1st rounder (mid-late) thus potentially giving us access to 2 top 20 guys. If that happens the first thought I have is locking up Mathews at RT then drafting BPA OT for LT depth. (because Joeckel would be gone). I'm sure there are other first round Duos like say Lotulelei/OT, Lotulelei/CB, OT/OLB, ect.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Shock and Awe

The problem with trading down is that you are making several assumptions:

A) That talent you want will be available in later rounds

B) That no talent exists currently that you want

Both of the above cannot be true. If there is no talent you want at a higher pick, why would there be talent you want at a lower pick? If your guy is "taken", it's next man up on your board, but don't trade down.

The draft is unpredictable. You have no idea who will be available in later rounds if you trade down, BUT you DO KNOW who is available at the time you are picking. Make sure you are surrounded with good talent evaluators, and hit with the picks you are given. I'm actually more of an advocate for trading up a few spots to get a guy you really like than trading down.

Any GM should be very cautious about trading out of the top 10 now that the rookie salary cap is what it is.
3. Christian Westerman - OG/C - Arizona State
4. Dean Lowry - 34DE - Northwestern
5. Robby Anderson - WR - Temple
6a. Jatavis Brown - ILB - Akron
6b. Victor Ochi - 34OLB - Stony Brook
7. Darrell Greene - OG - San Diego State