Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMelHo View Post
As long as we get a OT, I think we can survive with the rest of the O line the way it is for one more year and maybe sign a OG. Its not realistic to overhaul a whole O line in one year.
Yeah I think it's a two year process. If we can find upgrades at LG and RT in 2013 (in addition to a better backup plan at LT) I will be happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Veteran

Haven’t changed my mind on the trade to Houston at all, with our drop to # 9 after the win at Pit. The trade looks even better than before. Using the point value chart, both teams would get better from this up coming draft. As of 1 Nov. PFT has us with 2M cap space and the Bills with 11.7, so my Levitre idea was just a pipe dream, if anybody gets him besides Bills it will be San Fran, soon to be San Jose, he’s from Los Gatos ( Garlic capital of America ) maybe a home town discount for them. IMO we’re going to win out, and with each win this scenario looks better and better. We have 17 players that have some kind of guaranteed money with their contracst this year, Meachem 14M, Gaither 13.5, and J. Johnson 10M. From rotoworld. These players will be here next year or we’ll pay a hefty price to let them go.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Green text is the worst

Why would you bring up the chart? That just makes the idea look even worse.

According to the chart, pick #9 is worth 1,350 points. The Texans' 2nd and 3rd round picks will be roughly worth a combined 420 points. So that means that you're valuing Ben Jones at about 900 points, which equates to the 18th overall pick. So essentially what you're saying is that we should give the Texans 900 points of value for a player that they've invested 104 points of value in (they took him 99th). That's an 800 point jump for a guy that has sucked his rookie season.

Also, our 2M in cap space right now doesn't mean that that's what we'll have to work with. We have free agents coming off the books and can make cuts as we see fit. Here are our 2013 free agents and far from all of them will be resigned:

-N. Novak
-S. Ajirotutu
-A. Cason
-R. Goodman
-A. Cason
-C. Carr
-Q. Jammer
-R. Brown
-C. Lynch
-J. Battle
-D. Williams
-B. Dombrowski
-C. Baxter
-L. Vasquez
-R. Hadnot
-T. Green
-K. Haslam
-S. Schilling
-R. Wells
-R. McMichael
-D. Alexander
-M. Spurlock
-D. Rosario
-A. Franklin
-V. Martin
-S. Phillips
-A. Barnes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Veteran

Where do you think I got the # 32 pick in my original post. We get their first, second and third picks along with Ben Jones. Our high dollar players are not on your list. I agree cap space will change from day to day but this is the latest list I could find.

Last edited by country boy; 12-11-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy View Post
First we go after OG Andy Levitre in FA. Next we swap our first round pick to Texans for their first 2 & 3 round picks plus OG/C Ben Jones. With the # 32 pick we take OG/C/OT Barrett Jones. Donít get me wrong I havenít gave up on OT Gaither at all just want some top notch back up. With the # 41 pick take OT lane Johnson. This takes care of the OL for next year, with plenty of back up. Should be able to protect Rivers and open holes for Mathews. With pick # 64 take CB Carrington Byndom. With pick # 71 DE/OLB Sean Porter. With pick # 94 S Phillip Thomas. We may have to trade some later round picks to jockey around to where we can fill our needs. We are a lot better than weíre made out to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy View Post
Where do you think I got the # 28 pick in my original post. We get their first, second and third picks along with Ben Jones. Our high dollar players are not on your list. I agree cap space will change from day to day but this is the latest list I could find.
I took the bolded to mean that it was Jones, their 2nd, and their 3rd. If that's not what you meant, I'm sorry because I've been arguing against an idea that wasn't yours. I think I got confused because you spelled "first" but 2nd and 3rd were numeric.

I still wouldn't be in favor of the trade, but it makes a heck of a lot more sense now. You're way more likely to get a high impact player at #9 than you are at #28. Recent drafts (2007 being the lone expection of finding a much better player at 28 than at 9; oddly enough they play for the same team):

2012: Luke Kuechly Vs. Nick Perry
2011: Tyron Smith Vs. Mark Ingram
2010: C.J. Spiller Vs. Jared Odrick
2009: B.J. Raji Vs. Eric Wood
2008: Keith Rivers Vs. Lawrence Jackson
2007: Ted Ginn Vs. Joe Staley

Also Jammer and Phillips are two of our higher paid players. If they walk or are resigned at a lower salary, that's a good amount that can be redistributed. Then add to that money saved by releasing higher paid players like Spikes, Clary, and Garay and we're doing alright. Plus all those small salaries coming off the books add up.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran

1350 points for our # 9 pick
-590 points Houston #1
=760 points
-270 points Houston #2
=490 points
-116 points Houston #3
=374 points to Houston for Ben Jones a lower second round pick, points wise.
Can play two positions C/G and counting college time and NFL time, has a ton
of playing time.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Green text is the worst

Yeah I'm not arguing that the points don't add up better knowing you were talking about getting their picks 1-3, but I still wouldn't do it for reasons mentioned.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Rookie

This is what I believe the Chargers should do..
1st Round - Chance Warmack OG, Alabama - Instant starter, pro-bowler.
2nd Round - DJ Fluker OT, Alabama - A right tackle, but will also be an instant starter.
3rd Round - Shayne Skov ILB, Stanford - Would fit at MIKE linebacker next to Butler perfectly. I believe he will continue to get better from his injury and will be the Navarro Bowman of this draft.
4th Round - Landry Jones QB, Oklahoma - Need to start breeding a QB to eventually take over for Rivers.
5th Round - Tyrann Mathieu CB, LSU - Drugs are a major concern but the guy is a player when he is on the field. Needs to improve on his coverage but his return skills and his playing making ability are unquestionable.
6th Round - ** Scott S, South Alabama - Has been very effective since he arrived on USA's campus. Would make an excellent special teams player and depth until he develops. Hasn't played the position long.
7th Round - Jay Prosch FB, Auburn - Physical fullback who can make holes for his running back. With Auburn going back to a spread offense, I believe he will come out early.

Mainly, I think the Chargers should worry about building an offense line. Both Warmack and Fluker could be day one starters. I know a lot of people question Fluker's pass blocking but he is still raw and new to the position. He will surprise some people with his athleticism at the combine.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM
RIP Seau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintLB8 View Post
This is what I believe the Chargers should do..
1st Round - Chance Warmack OG, Alabama - Instant starter, pro-bowler.
2nd Round - DJ Fluker OT, Alabama - A right tackle, but will also be an instant starter.
3rd Round - Shayne Skov ILB, Stanford - Would fit at MIKE linebacker next to Butler perfectly. I believe he will continue to get better from his injury and will be the Navarro Bowman of this draft.
4th Round - Landry Jones QB, Oklahoma - Need to start breeding a QB to eventually take over for Rivers.
5th Round - Tyrann Mathieu CB, LSU - Drugs are a major concern but the guy is a player when he is on the field. Needs to improve on his coverage but his return skills and his playing making ability are unquestionable.
6th Round - ** Scott S, South Alabama - Has been very effective since he arrived on USA's campus. Would make an excellent special teams player and depth until he develops. Hasn't played the position long.
7th Round - Jay Prosch FB, Auburn - Physical fullback who can make holes for his running back. With Auburn going back to a spread offense, I believe he will come out early.

Mainly, I think the Chargers should worry about building an offense line. Both Warmack and Fluker could be day one starters. I know a lot of people question Fluker's pass blocking but he is still raw and new to the position. He will surprise some people with his athleticism at the combine.
Wouldn't hate this draft. Don't see it happening though. Chargers pick close to top 10 if not in the top 10, doubtful they would choose a guard over a tackle there. I like Skov. But I thought Bowman was a better player who got undervalued because he had some red flags.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM
RIP Seau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Why would you bring up the chart? That just makes the idea look even worse.

According to the chart, pick #9 is worth 1,350 points. The Texans' 2nd and 3rd round picks will be roughly worth a combined 420 points. So that means that you're valuing Ben Jones at about 900 points, which equates to the 18th overall pick. So essentially what you're saying is that we should give the Texans 900 points of value for a player that they've invested 104 points of value in (they took him 99th). That's an 800 point jump for a guy that has sucked his rookie season.

Also, our 2M in cap space right now doesn't mean that that's what we'll have to work with. We have free agents coming off the books and can make cuts as we see fit. Here are our 2013 free agents and far from all of them will be resigned:

-N. Novak
-S. Ajirotutu
-A. Cason
-R. Goodman
-A. Cason
-C. Carr
-Q. Jammer
-R. Brown
-C. Lynch
-J. Battle
-D. Williams
-B. Dombrowski
-C. Baxter
-L. Vasquez
-R. Hadnot
-T. Green
-K. Haslam
-S. Schilling
-R. Wells
-R. McMichael
-D. Alexander
-M. Spurlock
-D. Rosario
-A. Franklin
-V. Martin
-S. Phillips
-A. Barnes
Holy crap. Alexander should be priority. Maybe Vasquez and Greene should be retained along with Schilling, Hadnot and Haslam. Resign Martin, Williams, Spurlock, Lynch, Franklin and Novak. If Jammer isn't coming back as a safety, don't resign him. Resign Cason just because the depth and talent at CB is horrible and at least Cason isn't getting burned because of his decreased speed.