Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Next man up

Default UFC 177: Dillashaw vs Barão II

I missed the 1st fight between these 2... and might end up missing this one courtesy of some extra work I picked up. (Which for me, is a very good thing, I need it.)

But in case I do get to see it, I shall continue my effort to find some intelligent MMA fans to talk about the sport with by making this thread.

Bantamweight, 135lbs: Champion T.J. Dillashaw (11-2) vs #1 Renan Barão (34-2, 1 NC).

Dillashaw took the belt, and snapped Barão's streak of 33 fights without a loss. 2 of those were in the WEC, and 7 in the UFC. (to be fair, there was 1 NC in there, making it a 32 fight win streak.)

Lightweight 155lbs: Tony "El Cucuy" Ferguson (16-3) vs Danny "Last Call" Castillo (17-6)

The UFC's lightweight division might just be the most talent crowded division in MMA. Two men are looking to climb the ranks. 23 finishes between them could make this interesting.

Woman's Bantamweight: Bethe "Pitbull" Correia (8-0) vs Shayna "The Queen of Spades" Baszler (15-8)

Bayzler isn't my favorite fighter by a long shot... but she deserves respect for being one of the woman to build the sport for women. Her career stretches back to 2003... long before women had a real shot at fame and money.

Corriea has manufactured some hype for herself by calling out the 4 horsewoman... Champion Ronda Rousey, her current opponent, Marina Shafir (who I am not familiar with) and Jessamyn Duke, who she defeated in her last outing. Her undefeated record is put on the line in the fight she wished for.

LightweightL 155 lbs: Ramsey Nijem (10-4) vs Carlos Diego Ferreira (10-0)

Nijem was a competitor on season 13 of TUF. 5-3 record in the UFC says he is going to need this win if he wants hopes of title relevance.

Ferreira defeated a TUF Champion in his UFC Debut... and that is about all i have read that is worth talking about him.

Lightweight: Yancy Medeiros (9-2, 1NC) vs Justin "Fast Eddy" Edwards (9-4)
This is one of those fights... where the loser may just be given a pink slip. Each of Mederios's losses has come in the UFC... where he has yet to net a win.

Edwards has been in the UFC a while, but is looking to snap a 2 fight losing streak... but a win here will still have him short of the .500 mark in his UFC career.

I will post my predictions later. What do you think?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Next man up

T.J. Dillashaw (11-2) vs Renan Barão
I didn't get to see their 1st fight, but from what I read... it is hard to question that Dillashaw dominated it. Hard to see that going very differently.

Tony "El Cucuy" Ferguson vs Danny "Last Call" Castillo
Looking at records... and making a call.

Bethe "Pitbull" Correia (8-0) vs Shayna "The Queen of Spades" Baszler (15-8)
This is kind of a tough one to call... Bayzler probably goes down in history as a pioneer of the sport who peaked at the wrong time... just now, at 34 she is making her offical UFC debut.With that said Correia is 31, and her UFC wins were against Julie Kedzie, another peaked at the wrong time pioneer, and Duke who thus far hasn't lived up to the potential I thought I saw in her. (just one person's opinion obviously)

LightweightL 155 lbs: Ramsey Nijem (10-4) vs Carlos Diego Ferreira (10-0)

I am giving Ferreira the nod... while I haven't seen much of him I am going off of a hunch here.

Yancy Medeiros (9-2, 1NC) vs Damon "The Leech" Jackson (9-0)
Umm... I don't know how i messed up in typing this in the OP so i need to edit it. I am not familair with either so...

It is now time for a rant...

The more I read about this card, the less impressed I am. If I was getting two title fights out of it, as origionaly intended before Jones vs Cormier got postponed, and the flyweight title fight took it's place next month...

At one point, UFC President Dana White bashed boxing, saying that typically there was 1 worthwhile fight on the card and a bunch of filler. UFC stacked their cards where every fight mattered. Broadcast wise... prior to the current Fox/Fox Sports 1/Fox Sports 2/UFC Fight Pass era this was often true.

Basic cable deals are the 2nd best marketing platform for any sports promoter... only thing better is a network TV deal and this does both. That diluting the PPVs a bit was ok. Free fights are good, and this can expand the fanbase.

UFC Fight pass. I know UFC is trying to get the early jump on what might just be the future of broadcasting... but looking at this card... man it would beneifit a lot from a fight like Nelson vs Hunt, or A Silva vs Arovski, 2 main events on an event streamed on their paid online service. Even a fight with a lower top 10 ranking against someone tring to crack the top 15....

Granted I might just be biased and bitter because with my struggles to find constant work, a reoccurring bill on the debt card isn't something I can justify... especially not with Bellator & World Series of Fighting on basic cable. Still... I don't see how keeping so many fights off the numbered cards, or TV is the right move. Fighters can't bring in the sponsorship money they can on the higher platforms, and those cards arent' going to bring in new fans. Fight pass seems like a good deal overall money wise... and I might look into it once I find a consistent work schedule... but this card looks a lot like what Dana White used to criticize boxing for.

I can't see any salary that would have me wanting to buy this in home... but because I missed the 1st fight between Dillashaw and Barâo, I am going to try and find a restaurant... but if the work I got conflicts with it, I don't think I will be to to disappointed.... coming from me, that is saying a lot.

Of course, plenty of great fights have happened between people who weren't title contenders so... maybe the UFC, and those who watch will luck out there.

It doesn't look like they will make that mistake 2 PPV events in a row... on UFC 178, 1 champion, and all but one of the other fighters on the main card are top 10 (as of now, a few events can change that.) The one who isn't is a former champion of another organization who the UFC has courted in the past... hopefully this doesn't become habit.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Free Chilly

After watching the first fight between Barao and Dillashaw I'm pretty stoked for this rematch. Like you said before though, Dillashaw dominated the first fight. Hard to see this fight being any different.

I'm still new to watchung UFC so, I don't know too much about the other fights.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Chelu View Post
After watching the first fight between Barao and Dillashaw I'm pretty stoked for this rematch. Like you said before though, Dillashaw dominated the first fight. Hard to see this fight being any different.

I'm still new to watchung UFC so, I don't know too much about the other fights.
In a sport where you tend to see someone 4x a year if that... they need to do something pretty amazing to be remembered. Eitehr that or they need to hype themselves up, or earn some major hype. I am not surprised.

I had to use the internet for my descriptions a lot more than I normally do... most of these people don't scream future champ... this wouldn't have been a big deal if the flyweight belt was still on here... but they had to save 178.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:17 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Barao just pulled out.

He passed out trying to cut weight and was taken to the hospital.

I don't know if this is fact or fiction -- but I do know that I wished they weighed-in on the way into the ring. These massive weight-cuts and then put it back on in a hurry have got to be really hard on the body. It also results in guys of much different weights sometimes getting into the ring together.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Veteran

Im still watching it
Old 08-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Barao just pulled out.

He passed out trying to cut weight and was taken to the hospital.

I don't know if this is fact or fiction -- but I do know that I wished they weighed-in on the way into the ring. These massive weight-cuts and then put it back on in a hurry have got to be really hard on the body. It also results in guys of much different weights sometimes getting into the ring together.
If they weighed them on the way to the ring, there is no chance to do any replacements... I'd of felt quite ripped off if the event lost a title fight on 10 seconds notice.

I am reading this is confirmed.

Joe Soto is the replacement.

Rare thing for a UFC newcomer to get a shot at the belt. But considering they needed some one to weigh in that day... isn't much complaining to be done here.

Soto is accomplished outside of the Octagon. The 1st Bellator featherweight champion via winning their 1st FW tournament. Won the Tachi Palace Bantonweight championship. Never seen them, but I have read they are a decent place for guys to prove they belong in the big leagues.

If it wasn't for the 2 cancelled cards in the last 2 years I'd be saying this one was cursed... looked amazing when it is announced and now it isn't so much.

But I like MMA enough to go find a restaurant and watch.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:36 PM
Free Chilly

Very impressive knockout by Ferreira. Caught Nijem reaching, and he paid for it.

Baszler looked like a punching bag out there. I missed what tired her out though.

Tough decision between Ferguson and Castillo. I felt the decision was right though.

That first round by Soto was pretty dang impressive. That head movement at the end was nice. But dang that head kick. I was rooting for Joe too. TJ motor is just insane.
Good fight.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:11 AM
Next man up

Impressive submission by Medeiros. I am not a fan of the Guillatine... No submission works 100% of the time, but going for that one and committing to puts you on your back in a bad position if you fail.

That one was interesting... Probably not a position you can study and practice working into, but adjusting to the escape and choking his opponent out... props to him. He earned a $50k performance of the night check with it.

Ferriera almost had one heck of a kimora... but that wasn't going to happen. Still... he might be someone worth watching in the future.

This was the 1st time I saw Bethe Corria fight. After looking at both woman's records, I wasn't sure why she was ranked higher than Bazler. Early in the fight, Bazler did what I expected. Even when on the bottom, she was the aggressor.

I am not sure what happened to break Bazler. Chin of stone, and a ton of heart... but you can only take so many punches. She was done... she wasn't defending herself. I'd like to see that 2nd round again... ill have to keep an eye on the tv.

Congratulations to Corriea. Can't blame her for calling out the champ, can't blame her for marketing herself as she is... but it looks to me like rousey would slaughter her. Rousey is an elite athlete... Corriea isn't at that level. Rousey would get the TDs that Bayzler struggled with, and her striking is also at a much higher level. Then again... I am not sure I have seen any bantamweight woman who looks to be able to give Rousey a fight.

Bazler isn't anywhere near my list of favorite fighters. With that said, she is one of the women who gave her blood, body, and brain cells to build woman's MMA. There are some fighters who do that, but just peak early. Faber for example: the sub 155 weight classes were built by his success, but that was before he was in the UFC.

I was pleasantly surprised by the judges call on Ferguson Castillo.

Ferguson was trying a lot of crazy stuff... sometimes I was smiling and respecting him other times I was calling him an idiot.

I have to comment 1st on that early round darce... I think it was the 1st? It was a good tiring opponent out move... but I hate when safety rules are used for things other than safety. In a real fight (as opposed to a sport fight) the counter there would be right hand to the groin... that choke isn't staying on long.

I thought the fight came down to the last room... and though he was on his back, Fergusson was grappling in the more effective way. He was playing offense forcing Castillo to adjust. He didn't control where the fight was, but he controlled what happened there. It isn't often that someone on the bottom deserves to win the round but this was one of those. Castillo didn't land enough shots, or get enough good positions to win the ground game there.

Soto showed he belongs in the UFC... he didn't show he is among UFC elite however.

The 1st 2 rounds he landed the better shots... but lost the rounds on lack of volume. He was defiantly doing the old play defense and look for that one big counter shot. This is a style that might be good to train for real world self defense... but it isn't likely to win you UFC gold. I had hoped he would adjust but he didn't. That might be one of those things that is easier said than done... I have heard, and seen many times that when the brain get's rattled the body goes to what it knows.